Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 82% of McCain voters believe the Justices Should use Constitutional Rules . 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    60% of Voters Say Supreme Court Should Base Rulings on Constitution

82% of voters who support McCain believe the justices should rule on what is in the Constitution, just 29% of Barack Obama’s supporters agree.

During his acceptance speech last night at the Republican National Convention in Minnesota, John McCain told the audience, “We believe in a strong defense, work, faith, service, a culture of life, personal responsibility, the rule of law, and judges who dispense justice impartially and don't legislate from the bench.” Most American voters (60%) agrees and says the Supreme Court should make decisions based on what is written in the constitution, while 30% say rulings should be guided on the judge’s sense of fairness and justice. The number who agree with McCain is up from 55% in August.

While 82% of voters who support McCain believe the justices should rule on what is in the Constitution, just 29% of Barack Obama’s supporters agree. Just 11% of McCain supporters say judges should rule based on the judge’s sense of fairness, while nearly half (49%) of Obama supporters agree.

In terms of how the Supreme Court currently makes decisions, just 42% of voters think the justices rule from what is in the Constitution. Thirty-percent (30%) say they are guided by a sense of fairness and justice. Democrats are more likely than Republicans and unaffiliated voters to believe the justices base rulings on the Constitution.

The survey also found that 65% of voters think the Supreme Court justices have their own political agendas. That number has changed little over the past month. Just 18% believe the judges remain impartial when making decisions.

Nearly all voters believe the selection of Supreme Court justices by the president is important. The majority (63%) believe it is very important. Just 8% think the selection process by the president is not important.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...e_court_update

Heh, saying the supreme court should go exclusively by the constitution is like saying you should exclusively use your legs for walking; It's a no-brainer. Now, some can walk on their hands, but they never seem to get very far. What galls me is them cherry-picking foreign law to support their leftist views. How'd they like the same treatment in reverse? I mean, there are some interesting laws elsewhere to support a hard right turn to the law, as well.

SCOTUS and federal court appointments were the deciding issue for me in the last 2 elections. It will be the deciding issue for me in this election too.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    SCOTUS and federal court appointments were the deciding issue for me in the last 2 elections. It will be the deciding issue for me in this election too.

And if we win it should finally pay off with a Constitutionally based Supreme Court for the first time in decades.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    And if we win it should finally pay off with a Constitutionally based Supreme Court for the first time in decades.
    wouldn't that be just WONDERFUL!!

I think it’s somewhat terrifying that almost one third of the Americans polled were willing to say that they should not use Constitutional Rules.

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by justsayin View Post
    I think it’s somewhat terrifying that almost one third of the Americans polled were willing to say that they should not use Constitutional Rules.
    That document is how old now?

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    WTF is your point? There is a process that can be used to keep the Constitution up to date. If something needs to change, amend it. If you can't find the support to amend it, it probably shouldn't be part of the supreme law of the land.

I assume that you are only for ignoring the parts of the Constitution that you find disagreeable, or can we just disregard any part of it because it’s old.

I pity you if you feel that the Supreme Court should make rulings that have broad reaching effects on the whole country based on something as fleeting and baseless as a “sense of fairness and justice”. That can mean literally anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    That's the point. The document is TIMELESS.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    That's the point. The document is TIMELESS.
    Don't waste your breath, he'll never understand. I've never heard such an inane comment as "That document is how old now?"