Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1 Deal 'Em Wednesday! 
    We were in the 90s over the holiday but now we're settled back down to the low 80s, possibly mid 80s by Friday. The usual T-storms are making the garden look fabulous!

    TOTD: Do you play cards? Have you ever been a frequent card player in the past? Which games do play? What games do you know (not kid card games)? Have you ever bet on cards? Have you ever played in a tournament? Are there any games you'd like to learn?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Springfield, USA
    Posts
    16,749
    The heat has calmed down here. Only going to be low-mid 80's for the next several days.

    TOTD: We play a card game at the club every Thursday night called "Pitch". It may go by different names elsewhere. Four-point pitch, High, Low, Jack & Game are the points.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    The heat has calmed down here. Only going to be low-mid 80's for the next several days.

    TOTD: We play a card game at the club every Thursday night called "Pitch". It may go by different names elsewhere. Four-point pitch, High, Low, Jack & Game are the points.
    From wiki:

    Pitch is an American trick-taking card game derived from the English game of All Fours (Seven Up). Historically, Pitch started as "Blind All Fours", a very simple All Fours variant that is still played in England as a pub game. The modern game involving a bidding phase and setting back a party's score if the bid is not reached came up in the middle of the 19th century and is more precisely known as Auction Pitch or Setback.

    Whereas All Fours started as a two-player game, Pitch is most popular for three to five players.[1] Four can play individually or in fixed partnerships, depending in part on regional preferences.[2] Auction Pitch is played in numerous variations that vary the deck used, provide methods for improving players' hands, or expand the scoring system. Some of these variants gave rise to a new game known as Pedro or Cinch.
    Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard of it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Springfield, USA
    Posts
    16,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard of it.
    I don't think I've ever looked it up, either on the internet or in Hoyle. Might be a good time-waster sometime.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member jendf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,693
    Hot and muggy.

    I'm heading out soon for the All-Star volunteer orientation.

    TOTD: I can play poker but not well. I think bursting into giggles when I get a good hand ruins it for me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    Hot and muggy.

    I'm heading out soon for the All-Star volunteer orientation.

    TOTD: I can play poker but not well. I think bursting into giggles when I get a good hand ruins it for me.
    Have you thought of wearing a mask and only playing with the deaf?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Have you thought of wearing a mask and only playing with the deaf?
    They would still see her shoulders shaking.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,909
    We're having a Paul Levesque day(HHH).

    TOTD: I like playing hearts and spades. Used to play pinochle every week with my brother and his wife. I found this book on card games in a desk one day and saw a game called Horse Race that looked interesting. I'm also a decent poker player. I used to be really into Texas Hold 'em but ever since it became the flavour de jour, I switched to playing different poker variations like Razz, hi-lo, and HORSE(Hold 'em, Omaha, Razz, 7 card Stud, 7 card stud 8(Eight) or better). I go on Poker Stars a lot but don't play Hold 'em too often. I play the games I mentioned as well as 5 card draw.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    SEAduced SuperMod Hawkgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,020
    I like Poker. Mostly Texas Hold Em .My brother played online poker for a year when he was unemployed. He was able to live, pay for his car and car insurance with the proceeds. He taught me how to play...when we play as a family, we'll put in $10 and distribute chips. Whoever wins gets the cash.
    I went to Vegas last year and entered a tournie. Came in 3rd place once, and my bro came in second place once. It was fun beating out about 100 men in the tournie.

    I play for fun..never got into the online gambling as I don't have the time or interest. If I ever make it out to Vegas again, I'll probably play again.
    Last edited by Hawkgirl; 07-06-2011 at 06:07 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    We were in the 90s over the holiday but now we're settled back down to the low 80s, possibly mid 80s by Friday. The usual T-storms are making the garden look fabulous!

    TOTD: Do you play cards? Have you ever been a frequent card player in the past? Which games do play? What games do you know (not kid card games)? Have you ever bet on cards? Have you ever played in a tournament? Are there any games you'd like to learn?
    I cant play poker if my life depended on it. I just cant retain the rules in my head for some reason. I cant recall what hand beats which, much less the names of each hand and what cards you need for such a hand.

    And I have all this money burning a hole in my pocket too.....
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •