1. #1 Teacher Cheating Parties 
    Investigation into APS cheating finds unethical behavior across every level

By Heather Vogell
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Across Atlanta Public Schools, staff worked feverishly in secret to transform testing failures into successes.

Teachers and principals erased and corrected mistakes on students’ answer sheets.

Area superintendents silenced whistle-blowers and rewarded subordinates who met academic goals by any means possible.

Superintendent Beverly Hall and her top aides ignored, buried, destroyed or altered complaints about misconduct, claimed ignorance of wrongdoing and accused naysayers of failing to believe in poor children’s ability to learn.

For years — as long as a decade — this was how the Atlanta school district produced gains on state curriculum tests. The scores soared so dramatically they brought national acclaim to Hall and the district, according to an investigative report released Tuesday by Gov. Nathan Deal.

In the report, the governor’s special investigators describe an enterprise where unethical — and potentially illegal — behavior pierced every level of the bureaucracy, allowing district staff to reap praise and sometimes bonuses by misleading the children, parents and community they served.
    AJC

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    um...must have learned how to do this from DC teachers
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

It is the predictable result of all this "let's hold the teachers accountable" movement where the government then sets the standards to which the teachers are accountable and dictates to the principals which action is to be taken to get rid of all those "bad teachers". The teachers are protecting the thing most dear to them - their job!

The student should be held accountable for his own progress. The teachers should be held accountable to their principals. The principals should be held accountable to the local board of education; local to state; state to federal.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    It is the predictable result of all this "let's hold the teachers accountable" movement where the government then sets the standards to which the teachers are accountable and dictates to the principals which action is to be taken to get rid of all those "bad teachers". The teachers are protecting the thing most dear to them - their job!

The student should be held accountable for his own progress. The teachers should be held accountable to their principals. The principals should be held accountable to the local board of education; local to state; state to federal.
    You raise a good point. Strong family friends of mine are teachers in the DODDS system. A few year back they were telling me about this student who was failing out of class, despite the teachers best efforts. The kid just refused to learn. The parents blamed it on the teacher, to the point of confrontation.

In my opinion, it's a part of the effort to destroy personal responsibility.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Was this occurring in any other school district in Georgia or just Atlanta? Was it happening in Catholic or private schools?

If not, then the Atlanta Public school system needs a foot in the ass. And yes, the teachers need to be held accountable. Seems they can't or won't perform as well as their non-Atlanta counterparts. If that's the case, they need to go.

Obama pointed out that 80% of all public schools are in some sort of academic warning status. 80%. They have put way too much stress on the teachers and not enough on the students.
    My brother-in-law, The Teacher, says he was told by some students that they were going to flunk "that test" and get rid of him. So he taught the test. Only the test. Nothing else matters. Just get 'em to pass the dang test so you can keep your job.:mad: