Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Beer Label Brouhaha (Sensitive Poser Alert) 
    Are Clown Shoes' labels offensive?
    July 05, 2011|Steve Greenlee, Globe Staff

An entertaining debate is raging right now over at BeerAdvocate.com over the labels that Clown Shoes puts on its beer bottles. A forum message -- posted by one of the people who runs the Cambridge-based Beer Advocate -- argues that the labels used by North Shore brewer Clown Shoes are alternately sexist, racist, and overly risque.

"I have been trying to hold my breath about Clownshoes [sic] for a while, but I think today I can officially say that I am done with these beers," the post begins. It goes on to describe the label as "tacky," "borderline sexist or racist," and "classless."

The post has prompted 275300350 replies (update: the thread has been locked), quite a few of which are unfriendly toward Beer Advocate's management -- which is something of a rarity among the website's users.

In lieu of posting a response on BeerAdvocate.com, Clown Shoes issued a tongue-in-cheek statement this evening that read, in part:

We are sorry for forcing everyone to have to endure the huge amounts of physical and psychological trauma we have caused by putting pictures of robots and cartoon women on our beer labels. God forbid you manage to actually open the bottle after seeing the horribly offensive labels because, as we all know, beers with an average rating of B+ are not even that good and shouldn't be drank by anyone...

As a result of this PR fiasco, we have fired every person on our design team, without severance, and submitted their names to a FBI watch list for people who have terrible senses of humor. We will be replacing them with unemployed accountants, all of whom we have screened to ensure that they have no sense of humor whatsoever and will not go "outside the box" when designing new packaging.

We are also making some changes to our existing line-up of beers:

* Brown Angel will now be called "Colorless Angel"

* Eagle Claw Fist will be renamed "Non-Descriptive Bird Appendage Fist" to avoid any further offense to eagles or claws

* HoppyFeet will be changed to "Opaque IPA"

* Tramp Stamp will be renamed "Lower Back Tattoo" to avoid any conflicts with the NAWWRGTS (National Association of Women Who Regret Getting Tramp Stamps)

* Lubrication will be renamed "Slippery Petroleum Byproduct"...
    Meanwhile, here are the supposedly offending labels. What do you think? Are they offensive?
    Best Bogus Product Complaint Respone EVER!

Label at the link.

Boston

Banned
    Those liberal screwball Bostonians are offended easily.:eek:

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    do the clown shoes scare you Ginger? ;)

"Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    do the clown shoes scare you Ginger? ;)
    No, the hoppy tang of snarky beer is oddly calming for me. :)

Ok, if I think really hard, I can draw the weak ass racism connection. But sexist? That one just doesn't at all make any sense in any way shape or form.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Ok, if I think really hard, I can draw the weak ass racism connection. But sexist? That one just doesn't at all make any sense in any way shape or form.
    Are clowns black or something? Seems quite the opposite to me. Also, they are almost exclusively male with few exceptions so sexism doesn't make sense. As for risque, is this risque?

So, I got nuthin' here.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Are clowns black or something? Seems quite the opposite to me. Also, they are almost exclusively male with few exceptions so sexism doesn't make sense. As for risque, is this risque?

So, I got nuthin' here.
    nah, more like this:

"Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    nah, more like this:

One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

The big Cheese
    for the win........
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

The post has prompted 275300350 replies
    Now THAT's a thread!!

How'd you like to mod that thread Ginger?