View Poll Results: Should the Federal Government offer a tax credit to businesses who hire Veterans?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 68.75%
  • No

3 18.75%
  • Other (I shall explain down below)

2 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Hire Veterans, Get Tax Credit? 
    President Obama just said he'd like to be able to offer tax credits to businesses that hire honorably discharged veterans.

Given that veterans have a high unemployment number, this could help boost hiring for them, but does it give them an unfair advantage over the unemployed who have not served?

What say ye?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    sure, why not? one of the few things I agree with that he's suggested and/or done
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Banned
    I think it is a great idea. For those soldiers that have a disability, the tax credit should be doubled.

Since Obama is doing the offering I would be careful of what might be attached.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Can we disagree with this and not get timed out?

Vets get many benefits as it is (and much deserved) but jobs are scarce as it is and you run the risk of hiring a less worthy employee just for the sake of a tax break.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Can we disagree with this and not get timed out?

Vets get many benefits as it is (and much deserved) but jobs are scarce as it is and you run the risk of hiring a less worthy employee just for the sake of a tax break.
    This isn't DU. We don't post polls to find people to ban.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    This isn't DU. We don't post polls to find people to ban.
    Just checking....

I say yes it's a good idea. When I'm looking through resumes I always give preference
    to those with military experience. What that person might lack in educational degrees
    compared to other applicants, they more than make up for in discipline and leadership
    skills that the average kid right out of college just doesn't have (in general).

When my son got out last year, he lucked into a great job opportunity by chance.
    He noticed an add for an opening that had listed as a requirement "honorable
    discharge from military service, preferably within the last 6 months". He applied
    and got the job. The company - Chevron USA. In their recruiting program (the
    same that they use to hire new college graduates), they require that 10% of all
    new hires come from the military. It's an awesome policy. I'd have no problem
    with them getting a tax credit for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I don't agree that you run the risk of getting a less qualified employee. They still go through
    the same interview process and background screening as any other applicant. Any company
    that hires a less qualified applicant just for the tax credit would only hurt their own business;
    plus that's part of doing business in a free capitalist society - the right to set your own hiring
    practices and run your business into the ground chasing tax credits over qualified applicants.
    If they are that dumb to do that, it's their right and they deserve to go out of bidness.

Yes, jobs are scarce in a lot of the country right now. But I have no problem giving preference
    to veterans, especially in this day and time when they voluntarily signed up knowing two wars
    were going on. They have more of a stake in this country if you ask me, over the kid that that
    doesn't serve.

Depends on the job, I think. Sometimes an honorably discharged vet is a plus. Sometimes it's a neutral.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.