View Poll Results: Should the Federal Government offer a tax credit to businesses who hire Veterans?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 68.75%
  • No

3 18.75%
  • Other (I shall explain down below)

2 12.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I vote other and here's why. Discrimination by any other word is still discrimination. Isn't something like this the main argument against Affirmative Action? When you start giving preferential treatment to one group or another, it excludes another group. We have this provision where I work. Military are given extra points when it comes to taking promotional tests meaning I can take the sergeants test and score a 93. Someone who served in the military can take the test and score 87 but they get 7 points due to military time so this puts them ahead of me by 1 point. Is this fair to me? Does simply being in the military guarantee that this person would be a better supervisor than I? I'm not saying discount military time completely but when it comes to an out and out advantage, this is something we as conservatives have been fighting against for decades with AA so simply saying it's OK and giving incentives to hire only military personnel is disingenuous.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I vote other and here's why. Discrimination by any other word is still discrimination. Isn't something like this the main argument against Affirmative Action? When you start giving preferential treatment to one group or another, it excludes another group. We have this provision where I work. Military are given extra points when it comes to taking promotional tests meaning I can take the sergeants test and score a 93. Someone who served in the military can take the test and score 87 but they get 7 points due to military time so this puts them ahead of me by 1 point. Is this fair to me? Does simply being in the military guarantee that this person would be a better supervisor than I? I'm not saying discount military time completely but when it comes to an out and out advantage, this is something we as conservatives have been fighting against for decades with AA so simply saying it's OK and giving incentives to hire only military personnel is disingenuous.
    Adding points to some one's score does not mean that they will get preferential treatment in the hiring process. Civil service takes the 5 top scores and ties. Hiring can be made from the top to the bottom of those 5. I worked with a guy at the Revenue department that scored over a 100 points because of the 10 points added to his test score for being a V.N. veteran . He applied for quite a few management positions and never got one. Having worked when affirmative action was in full force, I experienced the wrath of affirmative action. When a company decides that they will hire a woman or a black regardless of qualifications that is what I call discrimination. I don't think that Obama''s proposal does that. Plus, we are talking about apples to oranges when it comes to the the public vs the private sector. Management wants to hire the best employee in the private sector while in the public sector the worst gets the promotion in quite a few cases. Consequently, a company wants to hire the best employee because of the profit motive which is non existent in the public sector. I see nothing wrong in giving the veteran preferential treatment if two applicants have similar background and work experience. Plus, I do not think a company would give a veteran preference because of the tax credit if the company did not think he or she would be a beneficial addition. Now, maybe a union outfit like GM would but most of the jobs are being created by small business owners.

If a business can get a state tax break for hiring parolees, they certainly should be able to get a federal one for hiring veterans.

As a vet myself, I voted no. Veterans already get preference points when hiring on at almost all levels of government and at many large companies already.

This is pandering plain and simple from Obama, nothing more, nothing less.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    As a vet myself, I voted no. Veterans already get preference points when hiring on at almost all levels of government and at many large companies already.

This is pandering plain and simple from Obama, nothing more, nothing less.
    80% of the hiring is being done by small business owners. Government hiring is going south. Plus, I am not aware of large companies giving preference points. FYI, Washington State is the only state in the US to give veterans preferential hiring over civilians.

I said no. I will be looking for a job soon. There are many out there that deserve the same job and I want to compete against them on my merit, not anything else. If part of that merit is my 26 years of service then that should be enough to get me hired. If the employer doesn't value my service then I'll keep looking. I'm ok with that.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

I think the last few posts are getting off track a little.
    This is not about giving a preference for veterans in the
    hiring process. It's about whether or not a business should
    be given a tax credit for the vets they do hire. I still maintain
    that businesses are not going to cut their own throat by
    hiring less qualified people just for the tax credit. The job
    will still go to the best qualified. As with all government
    programs, the burden of filling out the paperwork to claim
    the credit will keep a lot of companies from even bothering
    with it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    If a business can get a state tax break for hiring parolees, they certainly should be able to get a federal one for hiring veterans.
    Wow.. didn't know that. Absolutely we should take care of veterans over frigin' criminals.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor