Pooka Fey (1000+ posts) Tue Jul-05-11 02:05 PM
Response to Original message
54. I call bullshit on everyone who defends this shooting.
What the police SHOULD do with a drunk, upset, knife-wielding man; and what THEY WOULD do if the USA was a civilized country and not a fascist authoritarian kleptocracy where a person is only valued as an economic unit:
1. You calm everybody the fuck down.
2. You get the passengers and anyone who could get hurt out of the station & far away - you're gonna miss your train? Tough shit. Take a bus, take a cab, walk, use your cellphone for something actually important and call somebody to say there is a situation and say you'll be late.
3. The police have somebody on the force trained in negotiation and in calming down crazy people that they call in. He shows up.
4. The City of San Francisco actually has a mental health services unit and social workers, paid for by the GUVMENT. This person gets called in to come and calm down the crazy guy.
5. We now have 2 professionals who are trained to calm down crazy guy. And because they have actual intellectual skills rather than just a firearm, they convince the crazy guy to put down the knife and the bottle. This doesn't take too long, because the crazy dude knows that he isn't about to be shot, and the two professionals actually know what they are doing. And we don't care how long it takes, because in this society, we don't murder people for having mental problems and then claim 'self-defense'.
6. Nobody in the station over-reacts or bitches too much about losing access to the train for 30 to 60 minutes because human life and human dignity are actually valued in this society.
DREAM SEQUENCE OVER
This is the opposite of what is valued in the USA because here, the only value in human life is in the money that passes through a person on the way to the corporate pocketbooks. Drunk crazy guy has no money and isn't paying in, obviously, so it's OK to eliminate him. Good riddance, in fact.
And you on this thread who defend this, shame on you.