1. #1 Holy Dumper, Batman! 
    We're in our usual "monsoon" pattern: predictable T-storms every afternoon with scattered rain, some of it very severe.

Until today.

I was totally lucky! It was storming but the rain was light until I was about 100 yards from my turnoff. Bam! It rained so hard that I turned the wipers off. By the time I got in the house, I could not see the front of my yard and the rain was coming both down and sideways! I've seen a lot of these storms but this was the worst. I live on a incline (naturally) so flooding is not an issue for me but they're kind of drowning down in Denver. Denver is pretty flat. :eek:

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    We're in our usual "monsoon" pattern: predictable T-storms every afternoon with scattered rain, some of it very severe.

Until today.

I was totally lucky! It was storming but the rain was light until I was about 100 yards from my turnoff. Bam! It rained so hard that I turned the wipers off. By the time I got in the house, I could not see the front of my yard and the rain was coming both down and sideways! I've seen a lot of these storms but this was the worst. I live on a incline (naturally) so flooding is not an issue for me but they're kind of drowning down in Denver. Denver is pretty flat. :eek:
    I always thought the mile high city was on top of a hill. But then, then only time I have been in Denver was a layover in a very strange structure they told me was an airport, but seemed to be a bunch of mobile homes strung together.

I definitely know what kind of rain you are talking about. I got caught in a similar storm last year. It came on so fast and furious, I didn't really know what the heck happened. But I truly learned the meaning of "flash flood" that day. My car came this close to being a boat. It was actually pretty scary because I've never been stranded in that type of storm. Very intense!

We got hit pretty hard here. They had half the streets on base blocked off because they were flooding. There was no road anymore, just water. The run off stream on base is usually only about 6 inches deep. It was about 10 feet deep when I drove across it.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I always thought the mile high city was on top of a hill. But then, then only time I have been in Denver was a layover in a very strange structure they told me was an airport, but seemed to be a bunch of mobile homes strung together.
    Nah, the nickname for Denver is Queen City of the Plains. It's a mile high but it has a lot of flat places interspersed with typical rolling hills. It's the bottom of those hills that get drowned. A lot of people lost power in Denver and there were a lot of people trapped in cars and buses.

My Internet went out (which is normal if Denver has a big problem) and after the deluge it just rained until I went to bed. We might be set up for something similar this afternoon so I'll watch the radar today.

(You might get a kick out of the many occult, paranormal, and conspiracy sites that deconstruct the numerous alarming elements that make up Denver International Airport.) ;)