Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1 we're expendable 
    Senior Member namvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Western Mo
    Posts
    3,066
    Navy to Cut Jobs Amid Recession-Driven Sailor Surplus

    With more sailors staying in the military amid a slumping economic recovery, the U.S. Navy is taking the unprecedented step of firing low-ranking petty officers to help rein in spending.

    The Navy plans to let go of 3,000 young sailors after economic uncertainty put the service in the unusual position of having a manpower surplus.

    The move comes as a new government report shows that the unemployment rate ticked up to 9.2 percent -- marking 29 straight months that number has been over 8 percent and a record streak since the Great Depression

    FOX

    next up the USAF.

    The Air Force retention rates are also up to a 6-year high, causing it to convene a similar reduction-in -force board. The Air Force will review the records of more than 9,000 officers, mostly majors, and roughly 400 are expected to be let go
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Destroyer of Worlds Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Posts
    5,438
    I don't want any one to take this the wrong way. Its in no means meant to be disparaging to the corps.

    But doesn't this really signal how bad the private sector really is, when so many are joining up for so many months in a row. I can remember years upon years that the military fought to get people to join. Even offering better enlistment bonus's, but complained that the private sect. was just too hard to compete.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I don't want any one to take this the wrong way. Its in no means meant to be disparaging to the corps.

    But doesn't this really signal how bad the private sector really is, when so many are joining up for so many months in a row. I can remember years upon years that the military fought to get people to join. Even offering better enlistment bonus's, but complained that the private sect. was just too hard to compete.
    You have a point, I'm sure the economy has some effect.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Ape Articulate_Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NJ, Exit Only
    Posts
    8,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    You have a point, I'm sure the economy has some effect.
    Some?
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    8,206
    Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    Navy to Cut Jobs Amid Recession-Driven Sailor Surplus

    With more sailors staying in the military amid a slumping economic recovery, the U.S. Navy is taking the unprecedented step of firing low-ranking petty officers to help rein in spending.

    The Navy plans to let go of 3,000 young sailors after economic uncertainty put the service in the unusual position of having a manpower surplus.

    The move comes as a new government report shows that the unemployment rate ticked up to 9.2 percent -- marking 29 straight months that number has been over 8 percent and a record streak since the Great Depression

    FOX

    next up the USAF.

    The Air Force retention rates are also up to a 6-year high, causing it to convene a similar reduction-in -force board. The Air Force will review the records of more than 9,000 officers, mostly majors, and roughly 400 are expected to be let go
    djones pointed out what is going on a couple years ago. They are trading bodies for hi tech toys. The Air Force wanted the F-22 and the F-35 and some cool UAV's so they sacrificed zoomies.

    Now it appears the Navy is doing the same thing. Those new Littoral Ships and rail guns and their version of the F-35 and the new Super Hornets mean swabbies hitting the streets...and the unemployment lines.

    Lets just hope they remember in November of next year who did this to them.

    But rest assured in both cases the officer corps won't get touched...especially at the Flag level.
    Last edited by txradioguy; 07-09-2011 at 04:27 AM.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Resident Grandpa marv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Shell Knob, MO
    Posts
    3,048
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Lets just hope they remember in November of next year...
    Nevermind the voters ever caring about numbers. Just remember what hussein's chief political adviser said.

    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

    THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,080
    Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    Navy to Cut Jobs Amid Recession-Driven Sailor Surplus

    With more sailors staying in the military amid a slumping economic recovery, the U.S. Navy is taking the unprecedented step of firing low-ranking petty officers to help rein in spending.

    The Navy plans to let go of 3,000 young sailors after economic uncertainty put the service in the unusual position of having a manpower surplus.

    The move comes as a new government report shows that the unemployment rate ticked up to 9.2 percent -- marking 29 straight months that number has been over 8 percent and a record streak since the Great Depression

    FOX

    next up the USAF.

    The Air Force retention rates are also up to a 6-year high, causing it to convene a similar reduction-in -force board. The Air Force will review the records of more than 9,000 officers, mostly majors, and roughly 400 are expected to be let go
    The AF has already cut 43,000 positions in the last several years. The Air Force is saying welcome to the game. We've already chopped off 1/10th of our force.

    Moved to GD for it's political nature.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,080
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    djones pointed out what is going on a couple years ago. They are trading bodies for hi tech toys. The Air Force wanted the F-22 and the F-35 and some cool UAV's so they sacrificed zoomies.

    Now it appears the Navy is doing the same thing. Those new Littoral Ships and rail guns and their version of the F-35 and the new Super Hornets mean swabbies hitting the streets...and the unemployment lines.

    Lets just hope they remember in November of next year who did this to them.

    But rest assured in both cases the officer corps won't get touched...especially at the Flag level.
    Only cuts occuring in the AF right now are officers. On the scale of thousands. They've finished taking the machete to the enlisted side.

    They also removed something like 20 general positions.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member namvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Western Mo
    Posts
    3,066
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    The AF has already cut 43,000 positions in the last several years. The Air Force is saying welcome to the game. We've already chopped off 1/10th of our force.

    Moved to GD for it's political nature.
    yeah my screw up for putting it here.............
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Grouchy Old Broad Kay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Midland, Tx
    Posts
    3,699
    I watch job board position postings a lot. USAJobs, the government job board,
    has been bloated for years now with military 'citizen' jobs. They should cut all
    those people first and fill their jobs with the enlisted people that are already
    trained and on the payroll.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •