Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    I watch job board position postings a lot. USAJobs, the government job board,
    has been bloated for years now with military 'citizen' jobs. They should cut all
    those people first and fill their jobs with the enlisted people that are already
    trained and on the payroll.
    I suspect that a large portion of the "citizen" jobs are filled with ex military that couldn't or wouldn't salute our commander in chief. Either way it's not a good way to reward the military who have put their lives on the line for us.

It doesn't surprise me that this is happening. Neither Obama or Hillary Clinton respect the military. I'm not saying that as Secretary of State that she has a direct responsibility for it, but attitudes transfer.

He's only doing what he inferred that he would do-----cut military spending and up those handouts to his constituents.

I hope the military and those drummed out remember this in 2012.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I suspect that a large portion of the "citizen" jobs are filled with ex military that couldn't or wouldn't salute our commander in chief. Either way it's not a good way to reward the military who have put their lives on the line for us.

It doesn't surprise me that this is happening. Neither Obama or Hillary Clinton respect the military. I'm not saying that as Secretary of State that she has a direct responsibility for it, but attitudes transfer.

He's only doing what he inferred that he would do-----cut military spending and up those handouts to his constituents.

I hope the military and those drummed out remember this in 2012.
    Not quite. Their mostly filled by retirees.

And these cuts began under Bush, long ago. The AF and Navy have a total strength that their allowed to have. They both went way over that. This is just them coming back down to levels set by Congress years ago.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Not quite. Their mostly filled by retirees.

And these cuts began under Bush, long ago. The AF and Navy have a total strength that their allowed to have. They both went way over that. This is just them coming back down to levels set by Congress years ago.
    Thanks, that's good to know. During the Clinton years I met a number of civilian employees who took that early retirement from the military. Several told me that they refused to salute President Clinton. Pardon for painting with too broad of a brush. :o
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Yes I know you are right SLW and djones, I hadn't thought of that.
    Most of those citizen jobs have the preference given for veterans and
    are filled by them.

It would be interesting to see what the cost of keeping the 3000 sailors
    being cut from the payroll is now vs what the cost would be to add them
    all to the unemployment and medicaid rolls. The government is going to
    be paying for them either way, might as well keep them employed and
    actively on the job, vs paying out benefits for them to sit at home - not
    that the type of person who'd enlist in the first place would be the type
    to just sit at home and not find another job right away. But it would be
    interesting to see the cost comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Yes I know you are right SLW and djones, I hadn't thought of that.
    Most of those citizen jobs have the preference given for veterans and
    are filled by them.

It would be interesting to see what the cost of keeping the 3000 sailors
    being cut from the payroll is now vs what the cost would be to add them
    all to the unemployment and medicaid rolls. The government is going to
    be paying for them either way, might as well keep them employed and
    actively on the job, vs paying out benefits for them to sit at home - not
    that the type of person who'd enlist in the first place would be the type
    to just sit at home and not find another job right away. But it would be
    interesting to see the cost comparison.
    An average E5 makes roughly $55,000 a year in pay, and allowances. I'm not even calculatting Sea Pay, or other special allowances the navy has. There is also the long term savings the government will make by having a % of those people never reach retirement.

The gov isn't going to be giving out that much on unemployment.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Lets just hope they remember in November of next year who did this to them.

But rest assured in both cases the officer corps won't get touched...especially at the Flag level.
    They are cutting out the dead wood lower level Officer corp as we speak. There are many 01 to 03 that are going to be given their walking papers in the next few years. And OCS failure rate standards are getting tougher, so they are saying they don't need as many 2LT anymore. I'm speaking about things just occuring, so we are only in the beginning stages.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I don't want any one to take this the wrong way. Its in no means meant to be disparaging to the corps.

But doesn't this really signal how bad the private sector really is, when so many are joining up for so many months in a row. I can remember years upon years that the military fought to get people to join. Even offering better enlistment bonus's, but complained that the private sect. was just too hard to compete.

There is also the expense of college to consider-vets get financial aid, and can start with some of their classes online while serving.

The army is trimming 49,000 Soldiers from the ranks. We are already cutting and it has an immediate impact. I don't have a problem with the cuts, just that the job they did never gets trimmed. Less Soldiers do more to make up for the manpower shortage.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand