1. #1 New book to read 
    I hate HR Corporate Scum patriot45's Avatar
    I go for action and adventure not thought provoking! New book by Stephen Coonts, Liberty's last stand. This is killer. You can guess the evil bastard . I have read every Jake Grafton book by Coonts and loved them all!! Check out the lib critic of the book! BTW the bad guys name is Barry Soetero!!!

12 people found this helpful
    1.0 out of 5 starsLong Time Fan - Greatly Disappointed.
    ByJonathan Crookon June 16, 2016
    I have been a big fan of Stephen Coonts for a long time. I've read all of his fiction novels, and anxiously awaited each new book. I can't express how disappointed I am with "Liberty's Last Stand". I'm not a Democrat, and I'm pretty middle of the road on political issues in general, but even I was taken aback by the pure political posturing of this book. The story of a President run amok and a Free Texas fighting back would be an interesting read, if it was back-loaded with speech after speech of political tripe. Coonts has taken beloved characters from his earlier books and turned them into one-dimensional pieces that only seem to exist for him to spew hate and disdain on those he perceives to be "progressive". The book itself makes no sense in the Jake Grafton timeline, and the fact that we are to believe that Jake knew about all of this six months in advance, but just gave up and did nothing makes no sense at all from what we know about the character. I slogged through the entirety of the book hopping for it to turn a corner and improve, but I was again disappointed.

These characters belong to Mr Coonts and it is his right to do with them as he pleases, but I feel that if Jake Grafton was real, he'd give Stephen a swift kick in the backside for how he is bastardized in "Liberty's Last Stand".

:Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
    ” I wondered why the rock was getting larger. Then it hit me.

Never truly been a fan of Coontz/Jake. Too much self-congratulation and carbon copying. Right now I just pulled away from John Sandford's Virgil Flowers series for the same reason. Still waiting for his newest Prey series release to come up at the library.

I recently discovered James Rollins and his secret Sigma group but dumped the last one as a conclusion was reached very early in the book that will drive the story. The problem was that the conclusion was not unique and not nearly as tied down as the story required it to be. I'm guessing this was an oversight and will try at least one more Rollins story before I quit him.

The kindle format makes searching out new authors so much easier via the local library and the N/C first novels available at Amazon.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Never truly been a fan of Coontz/Jake. Too much self-congratulation and carbon copying. Right now I just pulled away from John Sandford's Virgil Flowers series for the same reason. Still waiting for his newest Prey series release to come up at the library.

I recently discovered James Rollins and his secret Sigma group but dumped the last one as a conclusion was reached very early in the book that will drive the story. The problem was that the conclusion was not unique and not nearly as tied down as the story required it to be. I'm guessing this was an oversight and will try at least one more Rollins story before I quit him.

The kindle format makes searching out new authors so much easier via the local library and the N/C first novels available at Amazon.
    There is some more good characters from great authors out there now. Preston & Child's new guy Gideon Crews and Balducci's new guy Amos Decker. Matthew Reilly and James Rollins are the bomb also!

Sorry - I can't stand Balducci and just dumped my second Rollins book(Jake Ransom). I'll have to look for Matthew Reilly and this Preston/Childs combo. Tried Joe Lansdale's Hap and Leonard but couldn't get into it.

J A Jance is always good.

Sorry - I can't stand Balducci and just dumped my second Rollins book(Jake Ransom). I'll have to look for Matthew Reilly and this Preston/Childs combo. Tried Joe Lansdale's Hap and Leonard but couldn't get into it.

J A Jance is always good.
    Check out Rollin's Tucker Wayne series
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...5XKGV4thinxstg

Just picked up P&C "still life with crows" - I'll have to try the tucker series next.

Just picked up P&C "still life with crows" - I'll have to try the tucker series next.
    All the Pendergast series are great and if you are on that book you still have many more to go!

It was the first one on the P&C list that was available so I took it. Going to ridin' the rails next Sat. so will have a few hours to kill.