Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Goat-goring death sparks ban on peeing near Olympic Park trails 
    Quote Originally Posted by komo news
    PORT ANGELES, Wash. (AP) - Visitors to Olympic National Park are being urged not to urinate along trails frequented by mountain goats, to avoid turning trails into "long, linear salt licks" and attracting goats.

It's a new measure park officials are instituting as part of their revised mountain goat action plan.

That plan includes safety-inspired trail closures of two weeks or more and "aversive conditioning" of the animals when they become too aggressive.
    Komo News link

Oh for Pete's sake.....

For years, the forest service and the National Park service has been overrun with morons and hippies with "forestry" degrees. And what do we get for their salaries? Stop peeing while on the trails....

Other than the fatality involving Boardman, no other instances of "hazardous interactions" between goats and humans in Olympic National Park were cited in the report, which was written by park Wildlife Biologist Patti Happe.
    Doesn't that just drive you crazy? NO incidents at all - I guess that's a 'hazardous interaction' - and they over-react to one incident by closing trails and issuing new rules.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    the goring i HIGHLY doubt had anything to do with them pissing but everything to do with antagonizing the goat. It's the same as the Grizzly attack in Yellowstone earlier this week, you scare or threaten and animal it's liable to attack.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

If the goats are so salt deficient they are attracted to urine, why not place some salt blocks a few thousand meters off the trail?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    If the goats are so salt deficient they are attracted to urine, why not place some salt blocks a few thousand meters off the trail?
    OMG, that's too logical. They should pay you big bucks for a common sense solution, but that will never happen.

What are they going to do now, add rangers to patrol for peeing on the trails? That would sort of destroy the natural beauty to have Johnny on the Spots every few feet. What is their solution?
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    the goring i HIGHLY doubt had anything to do with them pissing but everything to do with antagonizing the goat. It's the same as the Grizzly attack in Yellowstone earlier this week, you scare or threaten and animal it's liable to attack.
    Actually no. The hikers did everything correctly actually. They tried to stay away from the goat and the guy that died did so protecting the other members of his party. The goat was in rut, nothing more, nothing less. Here is a link to an article right after the incident.

No, what this shows is that even in federal departments that we do need, there is reason to start cleaning house. We have too may liberals with personal agendas running organizations like the Department of the Interior trying to corral the American populations into cities.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    OMG, that's too logical. They should pay you big bucks for a common sense solution, but that will never happen.

What are they going to do now, add rangers to patrol for peeing on the trails? That would sort of destroy the natural beauty to have Johnny on the Spots every few feet. What is their solution?
    Common sense what taken from Department of the Interior many years ago when people started prohibiting access to our forests in the name of "preservation".

We need to implement a new Department. I suggest Wanker Watchers. Any Members spotted will be watched for an issue of urine (not to be confused with spotted members). If urine is deposited, the offending Member will be cited. Photo documentation will be twittered immediately to Our HEAD Member of Wanker Watchers, Head Ranger and top Dick, Anthony Weiner.:eek:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

I wonder what they are going to do at Yellowstone, now that a grizzly killed a hiker there? They were talking about destroying the bear if it showed signs of particularly vicious behavior. Are you kidding me? It's a bear acting like a bear. People are stupid about camping in Yellowstone. There are bears everywhere there, and wolves. They have lodges, hotels and cabins to rent.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I wonder what they are going to do at Yellowstone, now that a grizzly killed a hiker there? They were talking about destroying the bear if it showed signs of particularly vicious behavior. Are you kidding me? It's a bear acting like a bear. People are stupid about camping in Yellowstone. There are bears everywhere there, and wolves. They have lodges, hotels and cabins to rent.
    I and my family stayed two weeks at West Yellowstone last year in a tent. Bears everywhere. We locked our food up at the KOA station each night and when not in camp during the day while site seeing. We do not have a bear problem, we have a people problem.
    C. S. Lewis
    Ayn Rand