1. #1 My ferret is a hero 
    Ferretherder Donating Member (872 posts)
    Sat Sep-06-08 02:43 PM
    Original message

A little moment to share with my DU friends.

I got up around 7:00 am this morning, and, as usual, headed for the bathroom. I couldn't help noticing Mr. Big, our big, plump male ferret, scratching and clawing at the wooden blinds at one of the windows facing out toward the pool. I thought this somewhat odd, as he is hardly EVER interested in looking out of this window. I went on to the bathroom and when I came back out, he was STILL going at it with the window blinds - the window being close enough to the floor, and there being a box he could climb up on, also. I felt obligated to raise the blinds a little to let him have a look, so I pulled them up enough to let him get in the widow sill and peer out. When he got in the window, he seemed to want ME to look, as he seemed more intent on just having gotten me to open the blinds. A quick glance at the pool made me realize that there were ripples coming from behind the edge of pool wall - the water being about 6" below the top of the wall. I am used to saving exhausted frogs from the water because they get in and don't realize there is no way to climb back out. I figured I would go save the little fellow in a few minutes, when I got some clothes on and was a little more awake. Then the little creature swam out from the edge of the pool wall and into view. It was a VERY exhausted field mouse or small brown rat. I have never seen one of these animals get stuck in the pool and my heart immediately went out to the poor little thing. I ran and got my pants on and climbed out the window(the pool, once for the trailer park residents, now private, has a fence around it with a gate that stays locked) to help the nearly drowned rodent to safety. He was barely able to stumble away under his own power, but I believe he probably was OK after he was rested up. I came back in and hugged Mr. Big and told him he was a hero.

Yes. I know it was probably just a coincidence, but it sure did provide a bright spot in my life in these days of unrelenting negativity and seeming hopelessness that our once proud country finds itself in.

One sweet moment.

Anybody else had a little 'pick-me-up' moment, lately?

(Mods, if this subject needs moving, feel free to do so - I'm not so up on the rules around here anymore)
    I'm an animal lover and have pets of my own - but this post is downright stupid. She thinks her ferret helped save the life of a rodent in the pool.

LINK: http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x3938052

That ferret just wanted a snack. :D

A ferret lover of 5 fuzzies herself
    Woe to those who call evil good
    and good evil,
    who put darkness for light
    and light for darkness,
    who put bitter for sweet
    and sweet for bitter.

Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    and clever in their own sight.

Isaiah 5:20-21

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredHome View Post
    That ferret just wanted a snack. :D
    Exactly. Can haz mousie, plz, kthxbai.

I love the way, right at the end, it turns into a commentary on "our once proud country".

But for the missing "so", it almost would qualify as an honorary bouncy.
    Last edited by hampshirebrit; 09-06-2008 at 04:29 PM.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Exactly. Can haz mousie, plz, kthxbai.

I love the way, right at the end, it turns into a commentary on "our once proud country".

But for the missing "so", it almost would qualify as an honorary bouncy.
    Yep, typical DUmmie. Can't tell a nice little story without making it political.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Ferretherder Donating Member (872 posts)
    Sat Sep-06-08 02:43 PM
    unrelenting negativity and seeming hopelessness
    Want to save yourself? Log off DU. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Can't tell a nice little story without making it political.
    I thought the exact same thing.
    Well - that same thing AND that the story was impossibly unbelievable.

Poor ferret. Living with a DUmmie should be considered animal abuse.
    Woe to those who call evil good
    and good evil,
    who put darkness for light
    and light for darkness,
    who put bitter for sweet
    and sweet for bitter.

Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    and clever in their own sight.

Isaiah 5:20-21

Patent Member
    I had an eerily similar occurrance last night. Our cat, who is about a year and a half old, was pawing at the screen like she was trying to get out onto the deck. Which is odd, because usually she's terrified of anything having to do with the outdoors (I think it's because she sees The Mower out there, which is almost as bad as The Vacuum).

Anyway, here she is, pawing at the door. So I opened it up and she darted out, down the deck, and into the grass. Next thing I know, she's proudly walking back up to the door with a dead field mouse in her mouth. I was very proud, it was her first mouse! Of course, she wasn't allowed to bring it into the house.

The strangest thing was that, despite it being a dry week, and the grass looking parched, the mouse seemed to be dripping wet.