Thread: Ice cream truck driver shot and killed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Ice cream truck driver shot and killed 
    By Steve Bennish, Staff Writer
    Updated 3:52 PM Wednesday, July 13, 2011

DAYTON — Police are looking for a young black man in Tuesday evening’s fatal shooting of a well-known ice cream truck driver on Midway Avenue.

Carl Davis, 60, was shot moments after he sold ice cream to kids outside the Whitmore Arms Apartments in the 4600 block of Midway around 6:15 p.m., according to police.

Police originally thought it was an accident when someone called 911 to report the ice cream truck struck a house at 4416 Midway Avenue. When emergency crews arrived, they found Banks dead at the wheel, Dayton Sgt. John Sullivan said.

Sgt. Dan Mauch, head of the homicide unit, said detectives theorize that Banks — with is truck, something of a fixture on west Dayton streets — was the target of a robbery attempt gone bad.

Witnesses told police they heard two or three shots and saw slightly built young man, possibly as young as 15, wearing red pants with a sweater pulled over his face, fleeing the scene.

“Many of the witnesses didn’t realize what they were seeing because he (Banks) pulled away from the scene at a normal rate of speed,” Mauch said. Banks, fatally injured, was able to guide his truck down Midway two blocks before veering off the road at the intersection of Geneva and hitting the house.

“He comes through the neighborhood every day,” said Pattrice Ingram, who lives in the Residence Park neighborhood. “He was a nice guy, pretty much a fixture around here.”
    Share this article

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...d-1205834.html

He couldn't have had enough money to be worth his life, very sad.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...d-1205834.html

He couldn't have had enough money to be worth his life, very sad.
    I'm around scumwaffles like this all the time. The amount doesn't matter, they want it. An ice cream truck is an easy mark. You're talking about a group of people who used to(and probably still do) kill each other over sneakers. A young black girl not that long ago was killed for her earrings. These thugs are animals and the only proper way to deal with them is to treat them like the animals they are but noooo, we(when I say we I mean we in corrections) have to treat them with kid gloves.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I'm around scumwaffles like this all the time. The amount doesn't matter, they want it. An ice cream truck is an easy mark. You're talking about a group of people who used to(and probably still do) kill each other over sneakers. A young black girl not that long ago was killed for her earrings. These thugs are animals and the only proper way to deal with them is to treat them like the animals they are but noooo, we(when I say we I mean we in corrections) have to treat them with kid gloves.
    It still breaks your heart to hear it, especially the little girl over earrings.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    scumwaffles?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    scumwaffles?
    Big Daddy Graham, a local talk show host(sports of all things) used to do parody songs and one was called Call In Sick. At the end he's on the phone with hsi boss and calls him a scumwaffle. Here's the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kide-xvnNlc
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Big Daddy Graham, a local talk show host(sports of all things) used to do parody songs and one was called Call In Sick. At the end he's on the phone with hsi boss and calls him a scumwaffle. Here's the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kide-xvnNlc
    WTF?
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    WTF?
    LOL, he had some good stuff back in the day. He had a song about nuns and another called the Escalator of Lunch. He's now the overnight guy on 610 WiP sports talk station.

and so I laugh about how my racial profiling is probably right HA HA
    If you want to see my political views, check out my profile. i have them on my wall because there wasn't enough room in the info section.

Quote Originally Posted by jnkbortka View Post
    and so I laugh about how my racial profiling is probably right HA HA
    Do you work hard at being an idiot or does it come natural?

I wouldn't try that on the ice cream men in Detroit. They run dice games out the back of their trucks when the kids are in school. I'm pretty sure that ice cream men who are in the illegal gambling business are well-armed.

This is only in the city. I particularly noticed in when I lived in an upper flat with a balcony. I don't see things like that in Warren, just ice cream men selling ice cream.