Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Republicans on Uneasy Street 
    By Grover Norquist from the July/August 2011 issue

There is a sense of unease about the cast and storyline of the campaign for the Republican presidential nomination in 2012. Something is off. Things have started too early. Or maybe they havenít started yet. "No one" is running. Too many candidates are on or near the stage. Things just are not right.

This discomfort is disappointing. Obama is vulnerable. He has governed poorly. Since his $800 billion stimulus, another 2 million Americans have lost their jobs. Inflation looms. His government takeover of health care has become less popular since Nancy Pelosi passed it and allowed Americans to read the 2,500 pages of small print. The 2010 Tea Party/Republican landslides should have signaled victory in 2012. Republicans gained 63 House members, six senators, six governorships, and 715 state legislators (taking into account the 25 party switchers from the Democratic side). Next: the presidency, for sure.

And yetÖ

Herein, four thoughts on why we seem adrift in what should be the dash to victory.

First, the once grand post-FDR tradition of GOP nomination fights is largely behind us. The contest between the East Coast establishment and the conservative movement is no longer played out every four years. Wendell Willkie and Thomas Dewey won for the establishment in 1940, 1944, and 1948. War hero and moderate Republican Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1952 stopped Robert Taft from being the man who won the party for the right. In 1960, Nixon was only sort of "us," but Rockefeller was certainly "them." Goldwater broke through as an unabashed conservative in 1964, but failed to win the presidency. Nixon again beat Rockefeller Republicanism in 1968. The establishment held off Reagan in 1976, but Reagan won in 1980 and George H. W. Bush won in 1988 as Patroclus wearing Reaganís armor. In 2000, George W. Bush was the conservative alternative to "establishment friendly" John McCain. And in 2008, the conservative vote splintered among several candidates, with many social conservatives following the pied piper of Arkansas, Gov. Mike Huckabee, off the playing field and into irrelevancy long enough for McCain to win a nomination he could not have won in a two-way, right vs. establishment campaign.
    More>
    http://spectator.org/archives/2011/0...-uneasy-street
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Banned
    It is a long, long way off till the caucus/primaries. No need for Repubs to feel uneasy but it does make for good political media theater. For all we know a Reagan clone may jump out of the bushes to save the day.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    For all we know a Reagan clone may jump out of the bushes to save the day.
    Dont be silly, whoever gets nominated will be compared to Saint Ronald so much on this site I'll actually start believing that candidate will be half as bad as Reagan was.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe View Post
    Dont be silly, whoever gets nominated will be compared to Saint Ronald so much on this site I'll actually start believing that candidate will be half as bad as Reagan was.
    sounds like an endorsement if i've ever heard one
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Banned
    Liberals like you still believe that Obama is the Messiah and can walk on water. Bad is an understatement for the Loser-in-Chief that occupies the WH. He is gonna make Jimmy Carter look like a genius.

I am waiting to see his college applications and grades so we can finally see how big a liar and dumb he really is.

We will reprogram you, it shouldn't take much.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

I'd rather have half of a Reagan than 10,000 of The Obumbler. Too bad brainwashed cultists like yourself are blind to the damage The Obumbler is doing.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    We will reprogram you, it shouldn't take much.
    Can't reprogram someone who's the equivalent of the old Commodore 64 in a Crey Supercomputer world. They're too stupid for it to sink in.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Can't reprogram someone who's the equivalent of the old Commodore 64 in a Crey Supercomputer world. They're too stupid for it to sink in.
    We could do it with a floppy he could be a doorman or something.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    We could do it with a floppy he could be a doorman or something.
    doorman? that's too much responsibility, couldn't trust him not to let the kooks in.

make him the coat rack
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry