1. #1 Just what is Manhattanhenge? 
    New Yorkers have witnessed an urban solar phenomenon, with the Sun setting in alignment with the city's skyscrapers and giving an effect fans say is reminiscent of Wiltshire's Stonehenge. Welcome to Manhattanhenge.

Twice every year amateur photographers gather in carefully-selected spots to set up tripods and wait to capture the ultimate sunset.

On Wednesday night at 2025 local time (0125 BST), the east-west lying streets of the city's famous grid system neatly framed the setting sun, creating golden glows New Yorkers rarely see.

During the phenomenon, the Sun appears to be nestled perfectly between the skyscraper corridors, illuminating the north and south sides of the streets.
    Crowds shoot down a crowded street Crowds gather for photographs on 34th Street

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson coined the term Manhattanhenge in 1996, inspired by its likeness to Stonehenge, where the sun aligns with concentric circles of vertical stones on each of the solstices.

"As a kid, I visited Stonehenge in the Salisbury Plain of England and did research on other stone monuments across the British Isles. It was deep within me," says deGrasse Tyson.

"So I was, in a way, imprinted by the emotional power that terrestrial alignments with the Sun can have on a culture or civilization."

After coining the term, deGrasse Tyson later published dates and times in Natural History magazine. ...
    link

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I wonder how many morons got hit by cars??? :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Folks act like they ain't never seen the sun before.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    I wonder how many morons got hit by cars??? :D
    Human sacrifice is part of the festivities. :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Human sacrifice is part of the festivities. :D
    The Knicks aren't playing...
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    The Knicks aren't playing...
    No, but the Mets are. They usually choke themselves ritually about this point in the season. :D
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

No, but the Mets are. They usually choke themselves ritually about this point in the season. :D
    I was a kid for the Miracle Mets of 68 (?) but I remember Ron Swabota's diving catch. They are rivals of my Braves but when they aren't playing each other I can't help but root for them a little.

Same with the Pirates. They're looking pretty good of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    I was a kid for the Miracle Mets of 68 (?) but I remember Ron Swabota's diving catch. They are rivals of my Braves but when they aren't playing each other I can't help but root for them a little.

Same with the Pirates. They're looking pretty good of late.
    '69, actually. They had worse odds than the moon landing. :D

I grew up in Queens, and was there for the Mets, but after a couple of years, I became a Yankee fan after realizing that the Mets had no history. I root for the Mets against the National League, but the Yanks are my team. Being a New Yorker, I have no football team to root for (both play in Jersey), and I've never liked basketball enough to care about the Knicks or the Nets. As for hockey, ice belongs in margaritas.
    --Odysseus

'69, actually. They had worse odds than the moon landing. :D

I grew up in Queens, and was there for the Mets, but after a couple of years, I became a Yankee fan after realizing that the Mets had no history. I root for the Mets against the National League, but the Yanks are my team. Being a New Yorker, I have no football team to root for (both play in Jersey), and I've never liked basketball enough to care about the Knicks or the Nets. As for hockey, ice belongs in margaritas.
    Cool. For years the only baseball I saw on TV was whatever game was on Saturday or Sunday, and then MONDAY NIGHT BASEBALL, and then the playoffs and the world series.

I didn't get the Braves on TV and listened to them on the radio. The Braves usually weren't in the playoffs (but they played the Mets and were beaten by the Mets in the playoffs in 69 if I remember correctly) so I had to have someone to root for in the playoffs and world series so I'd pick some team to go with, usually based on some players that I liked on whatever team they played on.

I have always loved the playoffs and series, and still do. I'll find a team to root for and will watch all the games in the postseason that I can.