Thread: Mistrial ruled in Roger Clemens case

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Mistrial ruled in Roger Clemens case 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar

The judge presiding over Roger Clemens' perjury trial declared a mistrial over evidence revealed to the jury that he believed would prejudice the jury against the former baseball star.

U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton scolded prosecutors for twice violating his orders not to reveal certain evidence to the jury and said it could put the whole case at risk. He took a recess Thursday morning to consider how to rule on a motion for a mistrial from Clemens' attorney Rusty Hardin.

Prosecutors suggested the problem could be fixed with an instruction to the jury to disregard the evidence, but Walton seemed skeptical. He said he could never know what impact the evidence would have during the jury's deliberations "when we've got a man's liberty at interest." "I don't see how I un-ring the bell," he said.

Walton interrupted the prosecution's playing of a video from Clemens' 2008 testimony before Congress and had the jury removed from the courtroom. Clemens is accused of lying during that testimony when he said he never used performance-enhancing drugs during his 24-season career in the major leagues.

One of the chief pieces of evidence against Clemens is testimony from his former teammate and close friend, Andy Pettitte, who says Clemens told him in 1999 or 2000 that he used human growth hormone. Clemens has said that Pettitte misheard him. Pettitte also also says he told his wife, Laura, about the conversation the same day it happened. Prosecutors had wanted to call Laura Pettitte as a witness to back up her husband's account, but Walton had said he wasn't inclined to have her testify since she didn't speak directly to Clemens.

LINK
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Banned
    I don't like Clemens but lying to Congress should not be a crime. Those Congress critters do it all the time. Every time Obama opens his mouth, a whopper is liable to come out.

The crime is called perjury, Bill Clinton committed the same crime when he testified before congress, and NEVER stood before a jury for it.
    In addition, WHY are these fucking idiots wasting our tax dollars on this horseshit anyway.
    WHO GIVES A FAT RATS ASS what a baseball player injects into their butt, and why did congress even get involved?

They are all fucking idiots!
    Give a liberal a fish - he will eat for a day
    Teach a liberal to fish - he will come back tomorrow wanting more free fish!

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulpfishin View Post
    The crime is called perjury, Bill Clinton committed the same crime when he testified before congress, and NEVER stood before a jury for it.
    In addition, WHY are these fucking idiots wasting our tax dollars on this horseshit anyway.
    WHO GIVES A FAT RATS ASS what a baseball player injects into their butt, and why did congress even get involved?

It's for the children!!!
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I don't like Clemens but lying to Congress should not be a crime. Those Congress critters do it all the time. Every time Obama opens his mouth, a whopper is liable to come out.
    Yep. Not to mention that there are much bigger problems right now than an old ball player who took some drugs.

You'd think with the economy heading into depression like numbers they could stop the reality tv show.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulpfishin View Post

Yea! We should be focused on the important things! Like Michelle Obama eating a hamburger. Down with the liberal mainstream media.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe View Post
    Yea! We should be focused on the important things! Like Michelle Obama eating a hamburger. Down with the liberal mainstream media.
    If she would keep that big fat mouth closed about what kids should eat, this would a non story. But no, First Wookie and her husband think they know what is best for us. Big brother wants to tell us what kind of cars to drive to what kind of light bulb we use.

Fabulous Poster
    It's baseball, who cares?

ESPN's "legal guy", who used to be a federal prosecuter, said this morning that the Clemens trial cost the taxpayers "north of $10 million." There's something bad wrong with that.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe View Post
    Yeah. Congress is investigating MO eating a hamburger. You are such an asshole it's sad. What a sad life you must lead.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy