Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Gigantic home attracts notice 
    Highlandville -- At 72,000 square feet, a gigantic private residence being built south of Ozark is stirring plenty of talk -- at home and far way.

Todd Wiesehan, planning and zoning administrator for Christian County, is fielding calls from all over the U.S. about the massive home.

"It's got to the point where it's capturing national attention," he said.

The residence -- called Pensmore -- is to be the home of Steven Huff, chairman of Wisconsin-based TF Concrete Forming Systems. Huff has family ties in Missouri, Wiesehan said.

It's not clear why Huff is building such a large home -- messages left at his office were not returned -- but a website does try to explain its existence, much to the relief of Wiesehan.

"I'm really happy (about the website)," he said. "They had talked back in March about trying to create a website so they could put some factual information out there."

All the speculation over its sheer size -- once completed, it will be considered one of the largest residential homes in the U.S. -- and the fact that it's being made of concrete has caused plenty of rumors to go around, Wiesehan said.

According to the website -- www.pensmore.com -- the house "represents what we believe will be a practical application of new technologies to bring to life a modern version of the Jeffersonian ideal of the self-sufficient sustainable estate."

Luke Pinkerton, founder of Michigan-based Helix, said his company partnered with Huff and his company to build the home just off Woods Fork Road east of U.S. 65, a few miles south of Christian County EE.

Huff used Pinkerton's steel reinforcement product in the insulated concrete, manufactured and distributed by TF Concrete Forming Systems, to build the concrete home.

The idea was to create a home that uses very low energy, as well as having strong resistance to tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, fire, flood and insect damage, Pinkerton said. ...
    link

Hmm, someone knows something ... :eek: :D

I'd go broke just paying the utilities
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    I'd go broke just paying the utilities
    Or painting it.

Or keeping up the grounds.

Forget a roof.

The state should have put a clause in the permit that it can never be purchased by a government or receive government subsidies for maintenance or operation. These monsters have a habit of ending as "museums".

Fabulous Poster
    Can you imagine the size of the septic tank for that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Or painting it.

Or keeping up the grounds.

Forget a roof.

The state should have put a clause in the permit that it can never be purchased by a government or receive government subsidies for maintenance or operation. These monsters have a habit of ending as "museums".
    including the gators that swim in the moat :D

I don't think they're in danger of hurricanes in Missouri, but it might be a good test for tornado and earthquake resistance. :D

I wonder how many people are going to live there. That's a lot of space for 2 people.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I don't think they're in danger of hurricanes in Missouri, but it might be a good test for tornado and earthquake resistance. :D

I wonder how many people are going to live there. That's a lot of space for 2 people.

its made of reinforced concrete so it can survive anything. even hurricanes in MO !!!! :D

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    its made of reinforced concrete so it can survive anything. even hurricanes in MO !!!! :D
    How quickly I forget! We lost a large tree in our back yard in the St Louis burbs one year as the arftermath of a hurricane in the gulf that sent killer winds to Missouri.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

When Obama's economy hits the fan, this guy will have a defensible home with the capacity to house a small army, arable land around it and unrestricted fields of fire for miles. That's one guy who isn't going to be reduced to a peasant easily.

I wonder if he is hiring knights...?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    How quickly I forget! We lost a large tree in our back yard in the St Louis burbs one year as the arftermath of a hurricane in the gulf that sent killer winds to Missouri.
    we usually get the blow back from the gulf storms here.