Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 We Have Our First Baby 
    Wife and I are now fostering a 3 month old baby named Iker. He's a cute kid but for the life of me, I don't know why he won't stop crying. With the exception of when he sleeps, he's been crying incessantly. We try to feed him, he doesn't want it. We rock him, no go. Put him in the little swing, nope. Diaper? Dry as a bone. Lay him down, nope. Cry, cry, cry. And I don't mean cry, I mean wail. It's been a little over 12 hours since we got him and all he's been doing is wailing and crying. So, a little help from the parents out there because we're getting to our wits end to the point that we're going to call DYFS to come get him.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster

OK, he finally stopped crying. Put him back in the little swing thingy and he's fine...for now. What I don't understand is that he hasn't eaten but about 3 ounces of formula in a little over 13 hours.

This is one up tight kid. At his age crying is about the only way he has to express anything at all.

He'll stop unless there is something wrong. Ours had a pyloric stenosis, which is a problem with the pyloric valve in the stomach - fairly easily corrected. But if that's the case he'll vomit almost everything he eats.

Maybe he's just up tight. Be sure to get medical people involved. Not eating is evidence of a problem. No chance he's suffering from drug withdrawal, is there?

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Cool beans!!!! Congrats!!!

Cute kid!!!!
    :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    This is one up tight kid. At his age crying is about the only way he has to express anything at all.

He'll stop unless there is something wrong. Ours had a pyloric stenosis, which is a problem with the pyloric valve in the stomach - fairly easily corrected. But if that's the case he'll vomit almost everything he eats.

Maybe he's just up tight. Be sure to get medical people involved. Not eating is evidence of a problem. No chance he's suffering from drug withdrawal, is there?
    Don't believe so and from what I understand, a child going though drug withdrawal will stiffen up when crying. IMO, his fussiness is due to his new environment. We were beyond frustrated with his crying but he's sleeping now. He likes this little rocker thing we bought. And we can't get over the head of hair on this kid. Jealous isn't the word. :D

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Cool beans!!!! Congrats!!!

Cute kid!!!!
    :D
    Funny you should post that pic because we've been calling him Ike. Of course we won't kick the baby. :D

Lucky baby.

It's hard for him. He's used to his home environment, even if it was not great, and he's adjusting to new people. 3 month olds have a limited range of vision and are overly sensitive to things like smells and fabrics that might be unfamiliar.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Don't believe so and from what I understand, a child going though drug withdrawal will stiffen up when crying. IMO, his fussiness is due to his new environment. We were beyond frustrated with his crying but he's sleeping now. He likes this little rocker thing we bought. And we can't get over the head of hair on this kid. Jealous isn't the word. :D
    I would suggest talking to SS and finding out why he was taken away from his parents. This could give a good idea of his problems.

And withdrawals is a strong possibility.

Alcohol withdrawal: Signs of alcohol withdrawal may include hyperactivity, crying, irritability, poor sucking, tremors, seizures, poor sleeping patterns, hyperphagia, and diaphoresis. Signs usually appear at birth and may continue until age 18 months. Withdrawal typically appears within 3-12 hours after delivery.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Wife and I are now fostering a 3 month old baby named Iker. He's a cute kid but for the life of me, I don't know why he won't stop crying.
    Probably because somebody named him Iker.:D I kid. Congrats, man.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad