1. #1 Rahm is now privatizing city services to break Chicago unions. 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    "These people" (They really,really hate that) are DUmb as DUmmies!!!!

Chimichurri (1000+ posts) Mon Jul-18-11 08:07 PM
    Original message

Rahm is now privatizing city services to break Chicago unions.

Edited on Mon Jul-18-11 08:11 PM by Chimichurri
    Mayor Rahm Emanuel is sending layoff notices to about 625 city of Chicago employees — and delaying 61 blocks of curb and gutter improvements and 76 blocks of sidewalk repairs — after union leaders didn’t agree to work-rule changes the mayor wants or offer alternate ways to cut costs by a deadline Friday.

The layoffs — which Emanuel said will save roughly $12 million — target 75 percent cut of the Chicago Department of Transportation’s “seasonal” workforce, as well as custodians at O’Hare Airport, Midway Airports and the city’s public libraries; and workers who run the city’s water-bill call center and manage city benefits.

The transportation department layoffs will be begin immediately. As a result, city curb and gutter repairs are being put off until next year.

Custodial services, benefits management and the water-bill call center will be privatized after 30- and 45-day layoff notices go out.

(Chicago Federation of Labor President Jorge) Ramirez insisted there have been “no negotiations over work-rule changes — period” with local unions whose members would be impacted by those salary-shaving changes.

Henry Bayer, executive director of AFSCME Council 31, agreed that neither the mayor nor his representatives have made any attempt to meet with his union to negotiate specific changes.

“If the mayor were serious ... he would have taken the appropriate measures to engage in such discussions. The fact that he has never done so is clear evidence that this attempt to blame union work rules for the city’s massive deficit is public relations gimmickry,” Bayer said a statement.

He added, “We are surprised and disappointed at Mayor Emanuel’s scattershot approach to the city’s budget shortfall. We are particularly disappointed that most of his bullets are aimed at frontline employees who do the real work of city government.”

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/6525711-418/emanu...

:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    63. You make the president cry It's plain you never loved him or you wouldn't criticize his (former) right-hand man!

All that's happened lately reminds me of Catch-22:

'what's good for the syndicate (corporations) is good for America, and we all have a share!'

Just today I read here that those Lefties who dare criticize because the White House is not "Progressive enough" (hah!) are (most probably, some definitely) racist.
    Not only that, they are (probably) right-wing plants, and (probably) are PAID right-wing plants!

So now add (probable) antisemitism to Teh List.

Y'know: Ockham's Razor & all that jazz...
    how could it be any other reason?
    lol
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Libertarian ideas in action,

Other cities have done this; cost less, and better service.
    You know the Moonbats are going to hate that.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    For a long time, I have said that Rahm-bo was actually a pretty good choice for Mayor. He was the most conservative one running...and while he certainly isn't a Reagan-type, he will piss off the big-time libs in Chicago. And while Chicago is definitely Democratic, most are closer to middle-of-the-road when it comes to their policies. You just can't win if there is an "R" by your name.

And if it pisses off the DUmmies, even better. :D
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

iwishiwas (1000+ posts) Mon Jul-18-11 09:25 PM
    Response to Reply #3
    22. and he is acting like Repug Gov Scott Walker of WI.
    Well if that's the case then they will be following Rham around everywhere he goes and protest, yell, scream and generally act like idiots, just like they do with Walker, right? Right?
    fascisthunter Donating Member (1000+ posts) Mon Jul-18-11 08:09 PM
    Response to Original message
    4. and Obama had this Creep in his Admin
    bbgrunt Donating Member (1000+ posts) Tue Jul-19-11 01:29 PM
    Response to Reply #24
    119. unfortunately the argument that other dems are

doing the same in NY and MA only reinforces the idea that there is no difference between dems and pukes......not even a dime's worth.
    And maybe it has do with the fact that the US, States, Counties and Cities DO NOT have the money to continually raise spending........especially when you tax companies and individuals to the point that they leave because they cannot live and run a business in that environment.
    xchrom Donating Member (1000+ posts) Mon Jul-18-11 09:00 PM
    21. Fitzwalkerstan - democratic style. Nt
    Nederland Donating Member (1000+ posts) Tue Jul-19-11 12:35 PM
    112. Chicago Unions were out of control

I know I'll get flamed for this, but a number of years ago I had an experience with Chicago unions that was downright ridiculous.

I was working for a small start up and we had a booth at one of those large tech conventions. The morning of the second day we had a power strip blow out, so my boss sends me to run to the store and pick up a replacement. I buy one and start walking back to our booth, but I'm stopped by a union guy at the entrance to the convention floor. He tells me that I can't carry the power strip to our booth because union rules stipulate that all equipment must carried to the floor by union personnel. Keep in mind this is a power strip that weighs about 3 pounds max, so it's not as if I'm in danger of having my back thrown out in the process. I have to wait an hour and a half for some union guy to show up so he can carry this 3 pound item 500 feet. In the meantime, a small company on a tight budget that has shelled out tens of thousands dollars for a booth cannot demo its product.

Now I don't know if things have changed since then (I think it was 1994), but if this sort of thing is still typical in Chicago I can't blame Emanuel for pushing through some changes.
    LiberalFighter Donating Member (1000+ posts) Tue Jul-19-11 07:24 PM
    151. How much garbage will end up on Rahm's property?
    Yes there's that civility the Dems tout all the time.

LOL

I like how when they want recommendations they comment on how someone has unrecommended the thread or that there are no recommendations.

AlabamaLibrul Donating Member (1000+ posts) Mon Jul-18-11 08:08 PM
    1. Net recommendation: 0 votes (Your vote: +1)
    It never fails. Just like that there are tons of recommendations.

Refresh | +246 Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    LOL

I like how when they want recommendations they comment on how someone has unrecommended the thread or that there are no recommendations.

It never fails. Just like that there are tons of recommendations.
    WTF do recommendations actually get them? Some sort of pathetic increase in the DUmmy hierarchy?
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.