Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1 Kill the Visa Lottery Bill Passes 
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In Florda. Out smacking around Useful Idiots
    Posts
    428
    :D

    Jobs Bill Passes House Judiciary Committee (would kill the Visa Lottery)

    By Roy Beck, Wednesday, July 20, 2011, 3:43 PM EDT - posted on NumbersUSA

    After three years of a Jobs Depression, we saw today the first action by Congress to stop driving up unemployment by importing so many immigrant workers.

    The House Judiciary Committee voted 19-11 just before noon to pass H.R. 704, the SAFE for America Act, to end the Visa Lottery.

    If we can get this passed on the House floor and then in the Senate and signed into law by Pres. Obama this year, that will mean 55,000 fewer permanent work permits will be handed out next year to immigrants. (And 550,000 fewer over the next decade.)

    It would be a good start to finally start dialing back the exorbitant annual immigration numbers that routinely run over a million a year (while 22 million Americans who want a full-time job can't find one).
    MORE
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Apache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tree rats are watching you
    Posts
    7,053
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonialMarine0431 View Post
    :D



    MORE
    Ain't never gonna happen...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

    We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

    R.I.P. Crockspot
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    killing off 55,000 visas is nothing compared to how many hundreds of thousands of illegals who will enter the country next year. We're punishing people who follow the rules and rewarding those who don't. Instead of killing the visa lottery, they should be funding the rest of the border fence and forcing Harry Reid to explain why he won't allow a vote on it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida. The Cuban Part.
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    killing off 55,000 visas is nothing compared to how many hundreds of thousands of illegals who will enter the country next year. We're punishing people who follow the rules and rewarding those who don't. Instead of killing the visa lottery, they should be funding the rest of the border fence and forcing Harry Reid to explain why he won't allow a vote on it.
    This. All day. Every day. Twice on Sundays.

    ~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

    Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    killing off 55,000 visas is nothing compared to how many hundreds of thousands of illegals who will enter the country next year. We're punishing people who follow the rules and rewarding those who don't. Instead of killing the visa lottery, they should be funding the rest of the border fence and forcing Harry Reid to explain why he won't allow a vote on it.
    I don't understand the anti-illegals mentality. Am I missing something? Are a significant percentage of illegals crossing from Mexico college-educated?

    I'm honestly looking for the talking points on this. I'm not a econ expert, but it seems pretty basic to me that cheap labor helps the economy by keeping costs low. That and Americans don't like picking strawberries.

    I am assuming Visas are given to those with some sort of formal education, which would pose a threat to Americans seeking decent paying jobs.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In Florda. Out smacking around Useful Idiots
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by the director View Post
    I don't understand the anti-illegals mentality.
    A Republic is a nation of LAWS. The Founders didn't set us up as a democracy (mob rule), but a Republic.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Grouchy Old Broad Kay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Midland, Tx
    Posts
    3,699
    Quote Originally Posted by the director View Post
    I don't understand the anti-illegals mentality.
    I don't understand you people who can't discern the difference
    between LEGAL and ILLEGAL. It is very black and white, with
    no shades of grey.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    718
    Let me tell you how to work the "college educated" visa scam.

    Hire an engineer for $100,000/year in an extremely specialized area of expertise. Have him audit the process and layout plans and procedures to improve the plant. At 3 months and a review that identified no issues, you let him go.

    Then you hire an Indian engineer for $25k/year to come in from overseas to carry out the ideas of the $100k engineer. The Indian is tickled pink at $25k/yr, the 100k engineer is out if a job.

    The company gets the ideas and implementation for a total yearly cost of $25k/yr.

    That's how you play the "college educated" visa game
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by the director View Post
    I don't understand the anti-illegals mentality. Am I missing something? Are a significant percentage of illegals crossing from Mexico college-educated?

    I'm honestly looking for the talking points on this. I'm not a econ expert, but it seems pretty basic to me that cheap labor helps the economy by keeping costs low. That and Americans don't like picking strawberries.

    I am assuming Visas are given to those with some sort of formal education, which would pose a threat to Americans seeking decent paying jobs.
    You are missing the whole point of the argument. The visa lottery affects 55,000 immigrants, and shutting it down will not accomplish anything except to punish legal immigrants. OTOH, the influx of illegals has serious repercussions. First, we have a huge crime problem that comes in with people who, even if they are inclined to obey the law themselves, are very likely to become preyed upon by those who aren't, because they cannot look to the law for protection. The influx of criminal gangs that accompanies and preys upon each illegal group is an obvious problem. Also, the massive influx of semi or unskilled laborers drives down the cost of labor and, in those areas where it is most prevalent, and reduces innovation and adaptation of new technologies and business models. For example, those agricultural products that do not depend on illegal labor have developed various technologies that have significantly enhanced productivity (think of wheat, meat and dairy farming), while those that have a supply of cheap labor have continued to do business the same way for decades.

    Think of labor as a commodity. When you artificially increase the cost of a commodity, you create a black market (look at cigarettes and drugs for the extreme). Illegal aliens are simply black market labor.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    You are missing the whole point of the argument. The visa lottery affects 55,000 immigrants, and shutting it down will not accomplish anything except to punish legal immigrants. OTOH, the influx of illegals has serious repercussions. First, we have a huge crime problem that comes in with people who, even if they are inclined to obey the law themselves, are very likely to become preyed upon by those who aren't, because they cannot look to the law for protection. The influx of criminal gangs that accompanies and preys upon each illegal group is an obvious problem. Also, the massive influx of semi or unskilled laborers drives down the cost of labor and, in those areas where it is most prevalent, and reduces innovation and adaptation of new technologies and business models. For example, those agricultural products that do not depend on illegal labor have developed various technologies that have significantly enhanced productivity (think of wheat, meat and dairy farming), while those that have a supply of cheap labor have continued to do business the same way for decades.

    Think of labor as a commodity. When you artificially increase the cost of a commodity, you create a black market (look at cigarettes and drugs for the extreme). Illegal aliens are simply black market labor.
    Probably the best argument I've heard from a conservative on this issue - I never thought about it like that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •