Hybrid View

1. #1 Man dies after suffering 19 Black Widow spider bites... 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    BOULDER COUNTY, Colo. -- A man from Erie, Colo. died after getting bitten by a black widow spider. Health experts say it's a rare for someone to die from black widow bites.

Jeff Seale, 40, noticed 19 bites on his foot two weeks before he died. His sister says he worked at a horse stable, and she wonders if that's where her brother might've encountered the spider.

Seale was an accomplished baseball player when he was younger.

The Fairview High School baseball team in Boulder is practicing this week for a tournament they are hosting, and even though many of them had never met Jeff Seale, they knew of his legacy.

“When you assess that type of tradition, you definitely look up to him," says Brian Sture, a graduating senior.

In the late 1980s, Seale was one of the best pitchers, not only for Fairview, but in Boulder County. He was drafted by the Mets, and he also played for the University of Texas.

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-man-di...,5774918.story

What the hell? I watched a show about black widow spider bite victims a while back and it said that the black widow venom causes excruciatingly painful muscular cramps in humans that anesthesia can barely alleviate. Weird.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    What the hell? I watched a show about black widow spider bite victims a while back and it said that the black widow venom causes excruciatingly painful muscular cramps in humans that anesthesia can barely alleviate. Weird.
    dude must have had an EXTREMELY high pain tolerance. That or the diagnosis is wrong, which is entirely possible, cuz 19 probably would have killed him a lot sooner than 2 weeks
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Clinically, a bite of Lactrodectus (Black Widow Spider) rarely can cause serious health problems. In severe cases, a bite can cause lactrodectism, a disease consisting of raised blood pressure, generalized muscle pain, abdominal cramps, extreme sweating and tachycaia. The average duration of the syndrome in humans is 3 to 6 days.

Untreated patients have exhibited clinical signs for a period of 7 days, but weakness and some muscle pain and malaise may persist for weeks.About 75% of the intoxicated patients experience local effects and do not develop systemic envenomation.

A pinprick or burning sensation can be felt when bitten by widow spiders. Local pain worsens over time, which may combine with sweating and piloerection. The pain may spread to local lymph nodes or become generalized.

In 25% of the bite incidents, alongside the generic effects, patients experience muscle cramps, spasms and even patchy paralysis. Associated features include nausea, vomiting, headache, fever, malaise, hypertension and tremor.

Treatment
    The majority of the patients heal from a bite incident. First aid treatment has not been proven to be useful, but applying pressure and warming the wound may cause symptom worsening.

When leaving patients untreated, symptoms resolve in a couple of hours to days. Respiratory paralysis occurs rarely, and support of the respiratory cardiac tract will be required.
    When the bite incident becomes too painful, antivenin is administrated. Doctors recommend the use of pain relief medicine before antivenin administration.

Such medicines are opioid analgesics, benzodiazepines, calcium gluconate and antispasmodic and relaxant drugs. These medicines are considered because antivenin can induce allergenic reactions.There are cases where systemic latrodectism occur, which can affect the patient for months

Interesting.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers