Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 268
  1. #11  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,567
    Quote Originally Posted by jnkbortka View Post
    Not really, its just saying that the government has no say in what you put in your own body. How do you think we can stop more gang violence? Drug legalization would keep less people in jail, thus saving money and reducing violence from trafficking and people being ripped off. I don't know why it's so hard for you to get this. The war on drugs is just modern prohibition
    Are you realy that dense? Drug trafficers and gangsters don't limit their illegal activities to drug use, they break many more laws and commit many violent offenses. Is it really your point that legalizing drugs leads to less crime? Absurd is the kindest word I can use right now.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member jnkbortka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Salem, Indiana
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Are you realy that dense? Drug trafficers and gangsters don't limit their illegal activities to drug use, they break many more laws and commit many violent offenses. Is it really your point that legalizing drugs leads to less crime? Absurd is the kindest word I can use right now.
    Of course it does. While drugs aren't the only thing that hangs are involved in they make up a large portion. And the money we save on prisons can be spent on rehab facilities.
    If you want to see my political views, check out my profile. i have them on my wall because there wasn't enough room in the info section.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,567
    Quote Originally Posted by jnkbortka View Post
    Of course it does. While drugs aren't the only thing that hangs are involved in they make up a large portion. And the money we save on prisons can be spent on rehab facilities.
    NO, NO, and Triple NO! We should not spend money on rehab for people who make bad choices. The money to success ratio is cost prohibitive. They chose to take drugs so they need to choose to stop taking them. I didn't and don't pay for their addiction and I don't want to be saddled with their "rehab.":mad:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member Zathras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    8,054
    Quote Originally Posted by jnkbortka View Post
    Not really, its just saying that the government has no say in what you put in your own body. How do you think we can stop more gang violence? Drug legalization would keep less people in jail, thus saving money and reducing violence from trafficking and people being ripped off. I don't know why it's so hard for you to get this. The war on drugs is just modern prohibition
    Drug legalization will not reduce gang violence you idiot. They will still fight over the same turf to get a bigger slice of the pie. The same thugs that sell drug illegally will still be violent and rip people off even if the product they sell is legal. And then you add those felons that are in prison now to the mix and all hell will break loose.

    You fucking Ronulans are really braindead idiots aren't you.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

    Liberalism is what the stupid think is smart.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,741
    Hemp is about the only one that I've ever thought should be legalized, and that's because it has so many other benefits in it's growing, and it's where the bulk of drug money is spent. When California legalized medicinal pot, drug cartels lost 2/3rds of their cash practically overnight. Hemp is a Class 1 narcotic, wtf is up with that? Cocain and Heroin don't even have that designation. The whole system is messed up and does need change, but pot at lest needs to be dealt with in a different way than the other drugs
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    End of Story?
    No.
    Prohibition did fail. So did 55 MPH speed limits. Illegal abortions. Open borders. And cocaine use failed Len Bias, who is no longer with us. Lots of ideas have failed.

    Drugs - including pot - should be illegal. There will always be those who "choose" to ruin their bodies, and I say "choose" because they are young and listen to nonsense such as the type that influenced young Bias.

    Show me a method that a police officer can use to determine whether or not a driver is currently under the influence (like the .08% standard) and I'll talk about marijuana being legalized. But not until you show me.

    Here's a question: How many lives are saved and minds properly developed because our government has said loud and clear that certain drugs are dangerous and therefore illegal. How many young people - like I was - have said, "No. It's illegal, and I guess I won't go down that road."

    Herman Cain will stand against drug use, and I will stand with him.

    Do you need the government to tell you what you can and can't put into your body? I have no problem with the government putting out real, legitimate, scientifically-based information about the health hazards regarding drug use, but prohibition doesn't work.

    As for the "danger", that's a stupid argument. Tylenol is FAR more dangerous than marijuana. The vast majority of prescription drugs are far more dangerous than marijuana. Tobacco and Alcohol are perhaps the most dangerous drugs in existence.

    The danger level of a drug never has been, and is still not, the criteria used for what drugs are legal or illegal. I've got stacks of pharmacology books right here that I can quote from that speak volumes about the health hazards of dozens of legal drugs.

    The greatest health danger from marijuana use is from the general danger of inhaling smoke, however marijuana doesn't have to be smoked so let's forget that argument.

    You say that you benefited from hearing the government's message about drugs? Well I benefit from my own brain. I don't use any illegal drugs at all, and I choose that myself. ARe you telling me that you are so weak-willed that if the government decriminalized marijuana you would go out and smoke a pound tomorrow?


    The government should treat drug problems as health issues, because they are. The government isn't your daddy. It's not the government's job to tell you what's good or bad for you to do to yourself. The government is supposed to uphold the rights of the people, which justifies laws against murder, theft, rape, and so on. Laws against marijuana use are absolutely stupid and based on backwards morality.

    If this were about the health risks then the government would treat it as a health issue.


    Let's talk about what really makes the world go round, and let's not be naive about it: MONEY. The prison industries make TONS of money off of the war on drugs.

    America puts more people in prison (as a percent of population) than any other nation in the world, and this is because of the War on Drugs.


    Some entire communities are supported by the prison industry, which is an incredibly effective lobby. Making drugs illegal and going after people puts money into the pockets of law enforcement and prisons, so it makes sense that they want it to continue, but the science does not back up the logic of the laws.

    Study after study after study comes out saying that marijuana has numerous health benefits and is relatively harmless compared to other already-legal drugs. However the government continues with the stupid propaganda that even teenagers can see right through.;

    If you want your kids to stay off of drugs, teach them the value of having a clean consciousness, teach them the real dangers of drug use (without hyperbole, because they will learn only to ignore authority's claims about this), teach them that their body is a temple for God and they should not abuse it. It's the job of the government and their laws to protect the rights of the people, not to be the morality police or Daddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    As for crime, the issues of drug-related crime are caused by the prohibition of drugs like marijuana. Drugs like meth are a different story, obviously, but let's talk about marijuana.

    Almost all crime associated with marijuana comes from the black market marijuana trade. Turf wars occur, business disputes that cannot be settled through legit channels, huge sums of money are at stake (billions of dollars), and the ever-present risk of the law causes people to engage in violent criminal behavior.

    If you banned caffeine tomorrow, you can bet your ass a black market would emerge to fill that void, and those people who provide it would have to engage in violent practices to conduct their business. Would we then claim that caffeine causes violence?

    People do not smoke weed and go out and rob a bank, no one is going to rob a liquor store in order to get their "fix" of weed (it is not physically addictive), it is simply not a violent drug. It doesn't cause people to behave violently like cocaine, meth, and alcohol does.

    Look at what is going on in Mexico right now. Certain areas of Mexico are considered the most dangerous places in the world outside of active war zones. Are they shooting RPG's at each other because they got in a fight over who gets the last bag of Doritos? NO! The violence is over MONEY. It's always about MONEY. The drug trade in Mexico is a multi-billion dollar industry and it's run by thugs.

    Criminals control the marijuana market because law-abiding citizens are not legally allowed to do it. If we put the industry into the hands of non-violent law-abiding citizens you can bet that the $10 billion that goes to Mexican drug cartels will stay in this country instead of being used to buy military equptment to murder people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member Madisonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Peoples Democratic Socialist Republic of Michiganistanovia
    Posts
    2,346
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    End of Story?
    Here's a question: How many lives are saved and minds properly developed because our government has said loud and clear that certain drugs are dangerous and therefore illegal. How many young people - like I was - have said, "No. It's illegal, and I guess I won't go down that road."
    Not to argue with what you are saying, but our government funded public schools are screwing up more young minds than some drugs could ever hope to.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,567
    It appears as though you "legalize drug" proponents are concerned with the large prison population as a main reason to legalize it. I say we throw liberals in prison. Liberalism is the main reason we have poverty and crime increasing in this country.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member jnkbortka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Salem, Indiana
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by Madisonian View Post
    Not to argue with what you are saying, but our government funded public schools are screwing up more young minds than some drugs could ever hope to.
    very true :D
    If you want to see my political views, check out my profile. i have them on my wall because there wasn't enough room in the info section.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •