Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Marijuana Trouble? 
    By Chris Kilham

Published June 08, 2011

Two recent events have dimmed some of the glow of marijuana, the world’s most widely consumed illegal drug. The first event is a study showing possible adverse effects of chronic marijuana use, presented at the recent annual meeting of the Society for Nuclear Medicine (SNM) in San Antonio, Texas.

According to the scientists who conducted the study, chronic use of marijuana causes a decrease in some brain receptors that bind with THC, the psychoactive chemical in cannabis. Using a PET scan to capture images of the brain, the study leaders found that chronic consumption of marijuana can lead to a decreased number of cannabinoid CB1 receptors specifically. These receptors play roles in pleasure, appetite, pain tolerance and other psychological and physiological functions throughout the body. The extent to which this may cause mental or physical troubles remains to be determined.

Employing PET scan imaging, the researchers examined the brains of chronic marijuana users, and found that CB1 receptor activity was reduced by as much as 20 percent. Upon cessation of marijuana use, receptor activity returned to normal, suggesting no lasting adverse effects. The study involved injection of a radioactive isotope into the bodies of chronic marijuana users, and then observing cannabinoid CB1 receptor activity via the PET imaging, which takes a nuclear image of biological activity.

The decrease of CB1 activity is known as “downregulation.” And while no specific adverse effects of this occurrence in marijuana users has been identified by researchers, there is a presumption among them that the decrease is not good.

Yet the downregulation of CB1 receptor activity may hold promise for those who are overweight. In sharp contrast to the ominous undertones of the SNM research, a tantalizing study conducted in Europe and reported in the British medical journal Lancet in 2005, showed that downregulation of the CB1 receptor in obese people can lead to a leaner body type. In that study, suppression of CB1 activity in obese subjects resulted in reduced waist size, improved blood levels of HDL-cholesterol and triglycerides, and improved insulin activity and overall reduction of symptoms of metabolic syndrome. This study suggests that downregulation of CB1 activity, at least in obese people, may be a good thing. So can pot help overweight people to slim down? The jury is out on that one.

Against of all of this science chatter about the negative or positive implications of reduced CB1 activity, another force is at work that may trouble pot smokers. The Dutch cabinet is moving to restrict access to the famed marijuana café’s of the Netherlands, limiting patronage to Dutch citizens, and forbidding access to foreigners. The Dutch bureau of tourism estimates that approximately twenty percent of all travelers to the Netherlands take advantage of the “coffee shops” that sell marijuana. Tourism officials in Amsterdam are fighting the proposed change of access, decrying that such a move would damage tourism to that city.

So what are we to conclude from all the activity around marijuana? There is an adage that the difference between a medicine and a poison is the dose. It is possible that very high use of marijuana may result in negative changes in overall function of the central nervous system, though this needs to be further established. At the same time, we may possibly have in pot a weight control agent. This seems to contradict the increase in appetite that most marijuana users experience. Further investigation into this is unquestionably needed.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/0...#ixzz1T4dflIVb
    What it isn't a miracle cure all?
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    And it doesn't sound good for tourists to Amsterdam wanting to go to those cafes. Oh, what will they do?

Maybe they can legalize it here in weight control clinics. I guess it won't matter if there's the possibility of the brain not functioning as well, as long as they're skinny. :D
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post

nobody has said that. There are known risks to smoking anything.

besides, all down relgulation is, is the receptors in the cells for the THC molecule simply being taken down by the cell. The system is over saturated with THC so the body doesn't need as many of them. If that person stopped smoking within a few weeks the reverse would happen and there would be and up regulation of the same receptors, meaning the cell would gain them.

from the same article:
    So what are we to conclude from all the activity around marijuana? There is an adage that the difference between a medicine and a poison is the dose. It is possible that very high use of marijuana may result in negative changes in overall function of the central nervous system, though this needs to be further established. At the same time, we may possibly have in pot a weight control agent. This seems to contradict the increase in appetite that most marijuana users experience. Further investigation into this is unquestionably needed.
    the bold part is what happens when there is an up regulation of the CB1 receptor as it seems to be tied to appetite as one can infer from the down regulation being an appetite suppressant and helping people to lose weight.

Vilified by opponents and championed by users, marijuana remains a highly disputed drug. Studies show that occasional or medical marijuana use is far less harmful than use of either tobacco or alcohol, both of which are responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans each year. At present, not one marijuana-related death has ever been reported. Medical applications of marijuana, for pain, appetite and glaucoma are increasingly well established. And information from the U.S. government itself shows likely benefits of marijuana for the treatment of degenerative disorders of the nervous system.
    and yet hemp/pot is so insanely regulated that it can't even be used for research (this study wasn't on the plant itself but on it's affects on users) which is asinine
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Banned
    Dope is for dopes. Unlike alcohol, dopers smoke/eat it to get stoned. No two ways about it. That is not true of most people that drink. Also, the strength level of marijuana grown today has increased greatly from that available 30 to 40 years ago.

From a health perspective, bad trips from smoking pot are prevalent such as getting claustrophobia, feel like peeling you off the wall, having to get out of a building. This shit is doing something to your body that is not good. And yes, I have experienced these things from smoking it.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 07-25-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Dope is for dopes. Unlike alcohol, dopers smoke/eat it to get stoned. No two ways about it. That is not true of most people that drink. Also, the strength level of marijuana grown today has increased greatly from that available 30 to 40 years ago.

From a health perspective, bad trips from smoking pot are prevalent such as getting claustrophobia, feel like peeling you off the wall, having to get out of a building. This shit is doing something to your body that is not good. And yes, I have experienced these things from smoking it.

You got much better weed than we got in Kalamazoo in the 80s.:)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    You got much better weed than we got in Kalamazoo in the 80s.:)
    Hawaiian Gold was the most potent.

tobacco causes lung cancer. alcohol causes liver disease.

this article says CHRONIC use will cause these symptoms.
    If you want to see my political views, check out my profile. i have them on my wall because there wasn't enough room in the info section.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Dope is for dopes. Unlike alcohol, dopers smoke/eat it to get stoned. No two ways about it. That is not true of most people that drink.
    People drink alcohol to feel the effects of alcohol. Simple as that. Not everyone who drinks alcohol gets drunk (in small amounts), and not everyone who smokes marijuana gets "stoned" (in small amounts).

Believe it or not, some people are able to smoke small amounts of marijuana and feel relatively minor effects. They are still able to function, still able to use their brain, they still retain normal motor skills and all that.

Regular pot smokers can smoke a small amount and go out and do stuff and no one would ever know they smoked because they aren't "acting stoned".

I don't recommend it, but it is possible for some people to smoke and think, smoke and study, smoke and clean up their home, smoke and do work, smoke and do pretty much anything they can do sober. The effects of marijuana are different from person to person, with their level of experience being a HUGE factor.

Some people may get stupid and "stoned" from having a puff, but not everyone does, so you can't say that's the only reason people smoke.

Also, the strength level of marijuana grown today has increased greatly from that available 30 to 40 years ago.

Oh boo hoo you didn't stay calm and had a bad trip. I'm guessing you survived that ordeal?

For some people, lots of marijuana can cause anxiety attacks, but again, it's not simply the marijuana itself, but also the setting, the circumstances, and the mental state of the person doing the smoking. It won't kill you though, it'll just make you uncomfortable and anxious for a while, which is a good deterrent for people who shouldn't be smoking it.

Trust me buddy, you aren't the only one here who are familiar with marijuana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Kudos to the author for his excessive use of the word chronic in a story about weed. Excellent.

And regarding that use, remember....everything in moderation. ;)

Banned
    Most people that drink like the taste of it. There is nothing tasteful in smoking weed. It is smoked for the effect. You fail there. Drugs affect people differently. At least you got that part right. BTW, if it takes more than one joint to get high, you are an addict and worthless as piss on a hot rock.

The reason many want to legalize it is so they do not get in trouble with the law and fear of losing their job. Like I said, drug testing will continue if pot is legalized. Employers do not want drug addled employees. Even a hypocrite like you should understand that fact.