Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 The chimp they tried to turn into a human, with chilling results 
    The woman volunteer thought Nim was coming to hug her, but instead the young chimp lunged, biting so deep into her cheek that his fangs pierced her mouth.

As she clutched her bleeding face, the little ape was beside himself, using the same piece of sign language again and again to attract her attention. ‘I’m sorry, I’m sorry,’ he repeated.

This haunting recollection is one of many contained in a riveting new film, Project Nim, by the director of the Oscar-winning Man On Wire, about one of the most bizarre scientific experiments of recent times.

British film-maker James Marsh’s latest subject undertakes a journey every bit as astonishing as tightrope artist Philippe Petit’s walk on a wire strung between the Twin Towers of New York’s World Trade Centre.

Nim was a chimp that was raised as a human child in order to test out the radical theory that man and his closest relative could learn to talk to each other.

Tragically, as Marsh’s film relates through a mixture of archive footage, re-enactments and interviews with those who took part in the early-Seventies experiment, this is a tale that ultimately says more about human arrogance than simian intelligence.

A helpless pawn ripped — quite literally — from his mother’s breast, Nim was a victim of the naïve, hippy- culture-infused world of early-Seventies New York.

He fell into the clutches of a hapless band of woolly social scientists who gave him human clothes, human food and enough doting young lady volunteers to send his simian hormones haywire. If it were not for what happened later, it could have been a Woody Allen comedy.

However, Terrace thought differently and had chosen Stephanie LaFarge, a former student and lover, to bring up Nim in the large Manhattan townhouse she shared with her self-confessed ‘rich hippy’ writer husband, Wer, and their seven children.

But it was a disastrous decision — Stephanie never bothered trying to discipline Nim. She did not take any notes on the experiment and did not keep a log of Nim’s progress, but she did breastfeed him and give him alcohol and puffs on her cannabis joints.

He was encouraged to lay waste to their expensive home and wind up his rival for her affections, Stephanie’s husband. Home movie footage shows the little creature, a blur of black and white in his romper suit, charging around as Stephanie recounts dreamily how she let him explore her naked body as he moved into puberty.

‘I never felt sexually engaged with him,’ she recalls, which is a blessing at least. Yes, it certainly was the Seventies.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz1T7OmUE6s

Back in the day, HG Wells considered animals that were forced to adopt human behaviors and biology to be victims of an unimaginable horror. By the 70s, Dr. Moreau was just one more transgressor against the norms of our bourgeois culture.

Stupid hippies.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Back in the day, HG Wells considered animals that were forced to adopt human behaviors and biology to be victims of an unimaginable horror. By the 70s, Dr. Moreau was just one more transgressor against the norms of our bourgeois culture.

Stupid hippies.
    Yup. I'd quite like to see the movie, as long as there aren't any monkey feeding scenes, because I hope it would explain why anyone thought that this was going to be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    Yup. I'd quite like to see the movie, as long as there aren't any monkey feeding scenes, because I hope it would explain why anyone thought that this was going to be a good idea.
    It should be on a double bill with the movie about the idiot who got himself and his girlfriend eaten by bears.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

It should be on a double bill with the movie about the idiot who got himself and his girlfriend eaten by bears.
    GRIZZLY MAN-- Talk about a happy ending, both my kids and I laughed when the found out what happened to that idiot.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obx View Post
    GRIZZLY MAN-- Talk about a happy ending, both my kids and I laughed when the found out what happened to that idiot.
    have you watched it? the dude was a fucking idiot from the get go.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    The project was a clusterfuck from the beginning. Have you see how hippies raise kids? Not one bit of discipline. They allow the kid to decide what is right or wrong in their own mind. They did the same thing with the ape. Even apes discipline their young in the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    The project was a clusterfuck from the beginning. Have you see how hippies raise kids? Not one bit of discipline. They allow the kid to decide what is right or wrong in their own mind. They did the same thing with the ape. Even apes discipline their young in the wild.
    That's because apes are smarter than hippies.
    --Odysseus

If you want to see my political views, check out my profile. i have them on my wall because there wasn't enough room in the info section.

That's because apes are smarter than hippies.
    Damned straight.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers