Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Are We Alone In the Universe? New Analysis Says Maybe 
    article

Scientists engaged in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) work under the assumption that there is, in fact, intelligent life out there to be found. A new analysis may crush their optimism.

To calculate the likelihood that they'll make radio contact with extraterrestrials, SETI scientists use what's known as the Drake Equation. Formulated in the 1960s by Frank Drake of the SETI Institute in California, it approximates the number of radio-transmitting civilizations in our galaxy at any one time by multiplying a string of factors: the number of stars, the fraction that have planets, the fraction of those that are habitable, the probability of life arising on such planets, its likelihood of becoming intelligent and so on. [10 Alien Encounters Debunked]

The values of almost all these factors are highly speculative. Nonetheless, Drake and others have plugged in their best guesses, and estimate that there are about 10,000 tech-savvy civilizations in the galaxy currently sending signals our way ó a number that has led some scientists to predict that we'll detect alien signals within two decades.

What is Quantum Jumping? www.QuantumJumping.comDiscover Why Thousands of People are "Jumping" to Change Their LifeAds by Google
    Their optimism relies on one factor in particular: In the equation, the
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Drake's formula was pretty primitive, and probably can't be improved upon anytime soon.

Moving on...

I like to go out on the deck at night - as I did a little while ago - and look up at the stars. We don't have quite the view here in the Ozarks that we did when we lived in the mountains up above Denver, but probably better than most.

I marvel at the sky and all the billions upon billions upon billions of stars and galaxies that I can see - even without a telescope - and think that there has to be life out there. Intelligent civilizations? Gotta be. Will we ever contact them or they contact us? Not likely........

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

If they want to remain intelligent they are better of staying away until we have all the lib's reeducated!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    Drake's formula was pretty primitive, and probably can't be improved upon anytime soon.

Moving on...

I like to go out on the deck at night - as I did a little while ago - and look up at the stars. We don't have quite the view here in the Ozarks that we did when we lived in the mountains up above Denver, but probably better than most.

I marvel at the sky and all the billions upon billions upon billions of stars and galaxies that I can see - even without a telescope - and think that there has to be life out there. Intelligent civilizations? Gotta be. Will we ever contact them or they contact us? Not likely........

The jury is still out for me too. I'm like you and just enjoy the amateur star gazing.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    as Thomas Carlyle said "A sad spectacle. If they be inhabited, what a scope for misery and folly. If they be not inhabited, what a waste of space."
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Of course we're alone, at least functionally. We only got here a few hundred thousand years ago, and didn't keep records until the last 500 years.

Universe, on the other hand is 13 billion years old. The party's been over for some life forms for eons'; others are yet to achieve self awareness.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    Of course we're alone, at least functionally. We only got here a few hundred thousand years ago, and didn't keep records until the last 500 years.

Universe, on the other hand is 13 billion years old. The party's been over for some life forms for eons'; others are yet to achieve self awareness.
    uh...we've kept records much longer than 500 years
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    uh...we've kept records much longer than 500 years
    :)Who has?

Some people have. Some not.....The Space Guys could have landed and set up shop in Montana 500 years ago and we wouldn't know. Just be a rumor people talk about. A myth.

500. 1000. 2000. What's the difference? As far as the universe goes, it's insignificant.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    :)Who has?

Some people have. Some not.....The Space Guys could have landed and set up shop in Montana 500 years ago and we wouldn't know. Just be a rumor people talk about. A myth.

500. 1000. 2000. What's the difference? As far as the universe goes, it's insignificant.

If they looked like us, they could have blended in. Just like in Escape To Witch Mountain!

I like to think there are aliens out there like some of the freakier ones in the original Star Trek series. Or like Q from TNG. He was fun.

if they are picking up our television broadcasts they will probably avoid us at all costs
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.