1. #1 Militants attack governor's office in southern Afghanistan 
    The governor of Afghanistan's Uruzgan province narrowly escaped an insurgent attack Thursday, and NATO and Afghan security forces continue to sweep the area in an effort to root out militants who penetrated his compound, officials said.

Muhammad Omar Shirzad had been holed up inside the building as a gun battle raged in and around the compound, according to Abdul Rahman, the governor's spokesman.

Gunfire and explosions could be heard over the phone as Rahman spoke with CNN.

By late afternoon, Afghan and NATO forces managed to clear militants from the immediate vicinity of the governor's office, according to Siddiq Siddiqi, an Interior Ministry spokesman.

Rahman is currently being treated for injuries at a local hospital after a grenade exploded near him.

While sporadic gunfire continues near the compound, Rahman said, the governor was not harmed.
    The attack occurred earlier Thursday when militants -- wielding guns and strapped with explosive devices -- stormed the compound, a television-radio station and a police base in the provincial capital of Tarin Kowt, officials said.

A least 19 people were killed and 37 wounded,including three police officers, said Khan Aga Miakhail, head of Uruzgan's regional department of health.

Ten children were among the dead, he added.

Ahmad Omaid Khpalwak, a freelance journalist working for an Afghan news agency and other international news organizations, was also killed during the battle, according to Pajhwok News Agency spokesman Danish Karookhail.

"Moments after the fighting began, Khpalwak sent his brother Javed a text-message, asking family members to pray for his safety. Soon afterwards, hospital authorities informed Javed of his brother's death," the agency reported.

The 25 year-old reporter, who also worked for BBC News, was shot by unknown gunmen inside the district's local television station, it added.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/as...office.attack/
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

This happened in Uruzgan province where I just left. I worked with Omaid the RTA (Radio/Television Afghanistan) reporter and BBC stringer who was killed. Many times in the past after coming onto our base for a story he'd get threatening calls from the Taliban in Pakistan over his reports.

RIP my friend.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

IMHO what I'm seeing in Uruzgan is a power play by the Taliban. Last Monday they took out Jan Matullah Khan who was like the Godfather of the Province and now today one of the places they attacked was a residence/office of Matullah Khan (MK) his IRRC nephew and his eyes and ears in the province who is kind also of a big deal in Uruzgan and runs the KAU a private security force loosely associated with the ANP (Afghan National Police). Seems to me the Taliban has created a self serving power vacuum that they aim to fill. They have to have been unhappy with how well things were going there. We were/are winning big time in that province and it must have really pissed off the insurgents for them to go and tip the apple cart there. Uruzgan is full of rat lines to other provinces for weapons fighters and drugs. It was better for the bad guys if Uruzgan was quiet. I mean we had such a success rate there at one point that the Taliban in Pakistan were jailing and beating provincial Taliban leaders to "motivate" them to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    IMHO what I'm seeing in Uruzgan is a power play by the Taliban. Last Monday they took out Jan Matullah Khan who was like the Godfather of the Province and now today one of the places they attacked was a residence/office of Matullah Khan (MK) his IRRC nephew and his eyes and ears in the province who is kind also of a big deal in Uruzgan and runs the KAU a private security force loosely associated with the ANP (Afghan National Police). Seems to me the Taliban has created a self serving power vacuum that they aim to fill. They have to have been unhappy with how well things were going there. We were/are winning big time in that province and it must have really pissed off the insurgents for them to go and tip the apple cart there. Uruzgan is full of rat lines to other provinces for weapons fighters and drugs. It was better for the bad guys if Uruzgan was quiet. I mean we had such a success rate there at one point that the Taliban in Pakistan were jailing and beating provincial Taliban leaders to "motivate" them to fight.
    Good analysis. Also, the bigger picture is that the announcement of our imminent departure is exacerbating the vacuum. The knowledge that the US is withdrawing is emboldening the Taliban, and the end of summer means that if they expect to make any gains, they need to do so now, before the winter reduces their mobility, which is why we're seeing increased attacks throughout the AO.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    This happened in Uruzgan province where I just left. I worked with Omaid the RTA (Radio/Television Afghanistan) reporter and BBC stringer who was killed. Many times in the past after coming onto our base for a story he'd get threatening calls from the Taliban in Pakistan over his reports.

RIP my friend.
    I am sorry for your loss my prayers are with his family

I have a small hand in helping train soldiers to work in Afganistan...:o

I respect the fact that they are going to do what they are trained to do. I hate the fact their commander is one of their worst enemies....

TRG have you heard of, or been through Camp Atterbury(sp?) IN.?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post

I respect the fact that they are going to do what they are trained to do. I hate the fact their commander is one of their worst enemies....

Yes I've heard of it. You guys do a hell of a job getting NG guys ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post

I didn't know that you were under First Army. I just came from the G3 at Div West.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

And right on cue...The Nation magazine's website publishes...without any caveat's the press release from the Taliban on the 6 brave martyrs from the attacks yesterday.

:mad:

Oh NO! Guys I'm not in any branch :( ( Tried for the Marines...)

We deliver animals to them, goats, donkeys, chickens, and sometimes our camels. To make their training more realistic . I got the chance to stick around and watch once...

They mistook me for an insurgent.....:mad:

Capt. Miller liked that and asked me to stick around for round two...:D

Like I said, I have a SMALL part...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot