1. #1 Drought creates Texas,Carolina hay crisis 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    The record early freeze, combined with an ongoing summer drought, has created a hay crisis that threatens to put many livestock producers out of business in the Carolinas and Virginia.

In North Carolina, Steve Troxler, commissioner of agriculture, says his state's livestock industry may need up to 800,000 round bales of hay. To put that into perspective Troxler notes that one tractor trailer truck can haul 32 of the large bales of hay.

In South Carolina drought conditions have continued to deteriorate. In response to the ongoing drought the South Carolina, Drought Response Committee recently upgraded the drought level to severe for all but two counties in the state.

The drought, combined with the Easter freeze, has had a devastating impact on South Carolina agriculture. One of the most critical commodities in great demand is hay for feeding livestock. The drought has delayed much-needed cuttings, significantly reducing the normal hay supply. To make matters worse, hay is also in short supply in most of the Southeastern and Southern states.

Grain crop, cotton and peanut losses to the spring freeze and summer drought will be huge across the upper south. Tragic as these losses are for row crop farmers, they often have crop insurance and their plight is pretty well set, Troxler says.

Cattle producers will see the affects of this drought for many years, because it will dramatically affect the number of breeding stock that is the backbone of a livestock operation. Helping livestock operations survive the hay crisis is critical to the long-term future of the cattle and hog business in the Carolinas, according to the North Carolina ag commissioner.

Hugh Weathers, South Carolina commissioner of agriculture, suggests those who have hay for sale and those who need hay should visit the USDA Farm Service Agency eHayNet. The national Internet-based Hay Net Ad Service allows farmers in every state to share ‘Need Hay’ ads and ‘Have Hay’ ads online.

Weathers, who has a large dairy operation in Bowman, S.C., says word-of-mouth is one of the best ways for finding hay.

http://southeastfarmpress.com/drough...ina-hay-crisis

We have plenty of hay here in Michigan. I saw plenty being harvested on my ride to GR on Friday, passing all the farms along I-96. We also have a lot of water, even with the recent drought (it's over, it rained last night and most of this morning).

You'll have to pay for it, though. We need the money.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    We have plenty of hay here in Michigan. I saw plenty being harvested on my ride to GR on Friday, passing all the farms along I-96. We also have a lot of water, even with the recent drought (it's over, it rained last night and most of this morning).

You'll have to pay for it, though. We need the money.
    How about them Just driving their Cattle Up your way and takin the hay ?.....

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    How about them Just driving their Cattle Up your way and takin the hay ?.....

If they love their cattle, they wouldn't do that. We will just mow them down with our cars. We all drive crazy here, if you haven't heard.

All of our hay is going to Texas at up to 85.00 per roll. Last fall I bought my hay for 20.00 per roll.
    I am feeding alfalfa pellets and grain now to supplement my burned pasture.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    We just picked up at least an inch of rain from some
    typical Florida T-Storms that just ended.

Mega Lightning bolts too! :eek::D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    We just picked up at least an inch of rain from some
    typical Florida T-Storms that just ended.

Mega Lightning bolts too! :eek::D
    All you really need in Florida to make your joy complete are a few active volcanos and a major New Madras like fault line down the middle of the state....

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    All you really need in Florida to make your joy complete are a few active volcanos and a major New Madras like fault line down the middle of the state....

Mmmmm,volcanos...:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    If they love their cattle, they wouldn't do that. We will just mow them down with our cars. We all drive crazy here, if you haven't heard.
    Hit a few of those 500lb critters and your detroit built vehicle wont get very good gas milage.....More likely some street hoods will take pot shots with their AK-47's at the cattle and bring them to dahood for a street barbecue.....