Hybrid View

1. #1 Digestive Problems--lifestyle changes 
    Q: What are my options for treating acid reflux disease? I don't like taking pills, so I'm hoping to avoid medication. What do you suggest?
    ó Alex, California

A: The most effective treatments for severe and symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) include medications (pills or capsules) that block acid, such as proton pump inhibitors and histamine-2 receptor blockers, and a type of laparoscopic surgery called a Nissen fundoplication. However, GERD can also be treated without pills or surgery by using a combination of nutritional and lifestyle measures and over-the-counter liquid antacids. For example, eating smaller meals more frequently and skipping food for two hours before bedtime reduces the amount of acid produced by the stomach. Avoiding fatty foods, alcohol, caffeine, and peppermint can also improve GERD symptoms. Other lifestyle changes you can try include losing weight, avoiding tight-fitting clothing, and using a surgical wedge or wooden boards to raise the head of your bed so gravity can help minimize GERD during sleep. Liquid antacids that help GERD symptoms include magnesium or aluminum products such as Maalox, Mylanta, and Gaviscon.

Last Updated: 05/12/2008
    Digestive health expert Mark Babyatsky answers your frequently asked questions on digestive health symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, medications, management, and resources. Dr. Babyatsky is a gastroenterologist, professor of medicine, and chairman of the Samuel L. Bronfman Department of Medicine at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    no mention of changing ones diet? how dumb
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    no mention of changing ones diet? how dumb
    He did say "nutritional and lifestyle" changes. This was just a brief answer to someone's question.

I've found that eliminating anything caffeinated or carbonated helps a lot. Ditto not eating before bedtime.

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    He did say "nutritional and lifestyle" changes. This was just a brief answer to someone's question.

I've found that eliminating anything caffeinated or carbonated helps a lot. Ditto not eating before bedtime.
    yeah, i saw that, but all he would have had to say is cut out a lot of fried and processed foods and go with a more whole food diet. I know when I get heart burn it's largely do to those 2 factors.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

The big Cheese
    I am the opposit on that I get heart burn when I eat whole grains, and a low fat meal.
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    I am the opposit on that I get heart burn when I eat whole grains, and a low fat meal.
    well I said whole Foods, not just grains, it's about listening to your body and knowing what foods messes with you, of course drinking more water helps too

Heartburn at its extreme is GERD, gastric reflux disease. It's due to so many things, including maximum stress. I was in a very competitive sales field for many years. Compound that with dealing with the federal government sales and all the bureaucracy, sales managers constantly shifting quotas, and it was a recipe for disaster healthwise. I'm the prilosec/prevacid/ you name it queen.

What was started way back didn't suddenly stop with the move to the land of palm trees and beaches. Stress from health problems added to it.

It's weird, but I think the things that we really enjoy the most can hurt us. I love tomatoes (love the home grown ones down here), dark chocolate, and enjoy my once daily diet coke. Every time I think that I'm getting better, I will gradually add one of those things back to the diet and then the burn starts. :mad:

The docs even told me to elevate the bed. I put big wood blocks under the front legs of the bed frame. The only thing that happened was I kept slipping to the bottom of the bed.

It's not something to mess with, can lead to Barrett's esophagus and ultimately to esophageal cancer. Having the dread endocopy (it's really not that bad) along with the colonoscopy (hate that prep) Tuesday. I'm hopkng that I was misdiagnosed on the Barrett's years ago. We will see.

Regular old heartburn I think is triggered for many by fried and processed foods. The problem with me is I never ate them.

"