Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Cop under fire for beating, arresting man -- for videotaping police! 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    A Las Vegas police officer under investigation for the videotaped beating of a man in March violated several Metropolitan Police Department policies, an internal investigation found.

Mitchell Crooks' complaint about officer Derek Colling's excessive force was sustained, Deputy Chief Gary Schofield said Friday.....The specific policy violations will not be released until the case is finalized.....Crooks, 36, received a letter from the Internal Affairs Bureau notifying him of the findings earlier this week.

He said he was pleasantly surprised....."It seems like they're saying he was guilty, which is what I've been saying," Crooks said. "I really hope he gets fired.".....Colling has been on paid suspension since April 1.
    snip
    If Colling's supervisors recommend his firing, he will go before a pre-termination board for a final appeal. The harshest punishment short of firing is a 40-hour unpaid suspension.

Crooks' lawyer, David Otto, intends to sue Colling and the Police Department.....Otto wrote a letter in April to Sheriff Douglas Gillespie demanding $500,000 to cover Crooks' medical care, pain and suffering. The Police Department has not paid anything, he said.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/police-inqu...126438953.html

You know, just once I'd like to see a positive law enforcement thread on these boards.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Most people have a bad cop story. I've got a couple. Still, for every bad cop story, I have a dozen good cop stories.

I'll take this opportunity to tell law enforcement personnel; Thank you for your service.

Better?:D
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Being a news videographer....I'm gonna keep my mouth shut...
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!

Well I got a good cop story. :D

I once got pulled over for going 30 above the speed limit, without current registration, and no insurance. Cop took a glance at my Military ID and told me to get out of there. Saved me a SHITLOAD of trouble, cause I most likely would have ended up going AWOL had he done what he was supposed to since I was several states away from my duty station.

That man was several shades of awesome.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

At the risk of opening old wounds, what is it with these cops? They forget they have video rolling?
    I heard yesterday of the Canton Ohio Trooper that threatened a registered CC citizen that he stopped.
    ???
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

I'm willing to bet that a large portion of stuff like that is just cumalitive years of dealing with assholes who think their above the law, coming to a head.

I spent the day with a Michigan DNR Officer a couple weeks ago, and she told me that the biggest thing I've gotta be prepared for in that job is dealing with beligerant people. You always run into them. I'd imagine that after so many years on the job, "snapping" just wouldn't be out of the question.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I'm willing to bet that a large portion of stuff like that is just cumalitive years of dealing with assholes who think their above the law, coming to a head.

I spent the day with a Michigan DNR Officer a couple weeks ago, and she told me that the biggest thing I've gotta be prepared for in that job is dealing with beligerant people. You always run into them. I'd imagine that after so many years on the job, "snapping" just wouldn't be out of the question.
    where in MI are you looking to go?

and i thought you reupped
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    where in MI are you looking to go?

and i thought you reupped
    NW, Traverse City region. And my reenlistment won't be until Feb. But I am going to reup. I'm just looking at post AF career paths right now since i'm halfway through my career.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    NW, Traverse City region. And my reenlistment won't be until Feb. But I am going to reup. I'm just looking at post AF career paths right now since i'm halfway through my career.
    ah, gotcha, I'll probably be in the UP by the time you get out
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry