Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Trader Joe's dumpsters are full of fresh, nutritious food 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Wow, these super geniuses, these intellectuals, can't figure out
    why stores have to throw out food...

Liberal_in_LA (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-30-11 04:15 PM
    Original message Trader Joe's dumpsters are full of fresh, nutritious food
    A new documentary about food waste could dampen grocery chain Trader Joe’s crunchy image.

"Dive" illustrates the waste of wholesome food by following a group of “Dumpster divers,” people who mine trash bins for usable products. In the film, the divers are not homeless or even particularly poor; they just don't like to see good food go to waste, and they like to get stuff for free.

“In the United States, even our trash cans are filled with food; you just have to go get it,” director Jeremy Seifert says during the film’s opening sequence.

The “freegan” divers – Seifert, his wife, Jennifer, and a bunch of their friends – discover large quantities of fresh meat, vegetables and fruit in bins behind a couple of Trader Joe’s stores in the Los Angeles area. Seifert is appalled that so much food that is not spoiled and not past its freshness date is being discarded.

But Seifert says the target of his film is wastefulness, not Trader Joe’s.

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/07/29/freegans-dumpster-d...

These super duper (in their own minds) brain surgeons can be dum as bricks when they want to be...:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

The Mike Judge series, The Goode Family, gave Freeganomics the treatment that it deserved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GisBzIG14q8
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The Mike Judge series, The Goode Family, gave Freeganomics the treatment that it deserved.
    That was very good. I eventually found part 2!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GisBzIG14q8

Oh dear God!!!!!

I loved the part where the nazi "seasoned" his food with his own tears...

That was hilarious!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Oh dear God!!!!!

I loved the part where the nazi "seasoned" his food with his own tears...

That was hilarious!!!
    I loved that show, but it was doomed from the start. ABC clearly had no idea what they had when they ran the first couple of episodes, and then did everything that they could to scuttle it. Eventually, Comedy Central picked up the remaining episodes. Too bad Fox didn't run it. It would have been perfect after the Simpsons.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I loved that show, but it was doomed from the start. ABC clearly had no idea what they had when they ran the first couple of episodes, and then did everything that they could to scuttle it. Eventually, Comedy Central picked up the remaining episodes. Too bad Fox didn't run it. It would have been perfect after the Simpsons.

LOL!!! I watched the second half. Too funny. I can't believe ABC put that out!!! :eek::D

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    LOL!!! I watched the second half. Too funny. I can't believe ABC put that out!!! :eek::D
    They ran about half the episodes before they figured out that it wasn't another Beavis and Butthead. By then, they had figured out that they could play musical timeslots with it, and then cite the poor ratings that resulted as an excuse to cancel it. They sold it to Comedy Central, which ran the remainder of the season and then buried the show. If it had been in a decent time slot, consistently, then it would have picked up an audience. It was extremely well-written, funny as hell, and had a huge natural audience that would have loved it if it could have gotten to see it.
    --Odysseus

I work in a school kitchen, and we throw out good food everyday. It's not for lack of wanting to give it to food shelters, it's because of all the Health Dept. regulations that make it impossible for business to do it. So the very agency that so over regulates "food" also keeps business from sharing it with those who need it.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Mom View Post
    I work in a school kitchen, and we throw out good food everyday. It's not for lack of wanting to give it to food shelters, it's because of all the Health Dept. regulations that make it impossible for business to do it. So the very agency that so over regulates "food" also keeps business from sharing it with those who need it.
    I read that Second Harvest type missionaries often run afoul of the health department.
    Publix says they give their day old bread to missions, but it's packaged food that is not out of date. In San Francisco's Castro and Haight neighborhoods, restaurant diners often leave doggie bags on designated half-walls for the homeless (or anyone else) to finish off. It's not the most sanitary system, but eating out of dumpsters would be several rungs down the sanitation ladder from that.

We have freegans around here in Hippieville, quasit homeless types mostly, who take canned and packaged foods out of the dumpster behind the out-of-date and scratch and dent store.

When NYC banned transfats, guess what happened to foods with transfats that were donated to shelters and pantries: Yep, dumped in the trash, because the homeless can't possibly eat anything with transfats. We all know how health-conscious the average homeless person is. They only imbibe free-range crack or crystal meth, for example.
    --Odysseus