Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Multiculturalism Revisited 
    July 30, 2011
    Multiculturalism Revisited
    By Michael Curtis

The brutal murders in and around Oslo on July 22, 2011 by Anders Behring Breivik, the self-declared commander for the Knights Templar of Europe, are to be rightfully condemned, and due punishment must be accorded for his horrible crime. But his massacre of 76 innocent people and his 1,500-page polemical diatribe -- his European Declaration of Independence, with its obsession with multiculturalism and the threat caused by the Islamic presence in Europe -- must not be allowed to prevent a genuine, rational discussion of a complex contemporary problem.

Western countries are perplexed by the problem of the current immigration of large numbers of individuals coming from different cultures, and the tension caused by their reluctance to assimilate and integrate into the larger society. To debate the issues of immigration and the likelihood of groups becoming participants in the larger society is not racist behavior, but rather a necessary consequence of real problems.

Aware of the potential positive value of immigrants, governments along with other agencies have subscribed to a set of policies and values that has become known as multiculturalism. They seek to diminish the difficulties the newcomers face: lack of respect, verbal abuse, and discrimination in general (and especially in housing and employment).

However desirable some of the efforts have been, both for immigrants and for their new society, it is evident that Western policies of multiculturalism have drawbacks as well as benefits. Those policies encounter a number of intellectual and political problems. They aim at accommodating different religious, cultural, and ethnic traditions within a society, but societies require a common culture. The great 14th-century Arab historian, Ibn Khaldun, was aware of this when he wrote that civilization arose only when there was solidarity. Today, this idea of solidarity, and commitment to the common culture and to the basic structures and values of democratic countries, is being challenged by identity politics and by advocacy of diversity.
    Read More>
    http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/...revisited.html
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

That's like saying anti-Semitic Islamic extremists, with their obsessive hatred for Jews, cannot prevent genuine, rational discussion of Israel's policies and actions.

crazy talk
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    That's like saying anti-Semitic Islamic extremists, with their obsessive hatred for Jews, cannot prevent genuine, rational discussion of Israel's policies and actions.

crazy talk
    Crazy yes, you didn't even read the article, you glanced at it and posted.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

crazy talk
    If you have something intelligent to add... do so. Otherwise
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Multiculturalism should be encouraged, but yes there are limits. Islam should be allowed, it should be welcomed, it should be celebrated and respected. However, domestic violence should not. Female genital mutilation should not. Violence against anyone should not.

Laws should not be passed specifically to try to hinder people from practicing their religions or their cultural ways, but if their practices violate already existing, secular-based laws (like laws against domestic violence or child abuse) then they should be punished no different than anyone else.

This is shady, and if we really get into it, some might argue that multiculturalism and the societal push towards "tolerance" only serves to seperate people into groups, where their goal is to "not get too close" so they don't step on anyone's toes. Some people believe that having a more unified, national culture is better for the country, and in some cases it is. Then again, America has always been a society of diverse cultures.

Multiculturalism isn't 100% good, there should be a limit to "tolerance", but we should still respect other people and other cultures, and allow them their freedom gaurunteed by the constitution to be who they are and worship how they choose.

It's a balancing act, and different people are going to find different ways to find a balance.

I think a foolish tendecy for modern liberals is that they obsess over being "politically correct" and "tolerant", they cannot see any negatives to multiculturalism and think it is the Highest Goal for the Left.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

I hate homophobia and islamophobia and xenophobia, but I actually find myself agreeing more with intelligent rational-minded conservatives than I do with young liberals when it comes to multiculturalism. It's a good thing but it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

I hate homophobia and islamophobia and xenophobia,....
    Funny! You don't even know what those words mean...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Sonnabend
    Multiculturalism should be encouraged
    No, it should not. Our laws, our way of life. Adapt, assimilate or leave. You came here, live as we do, under our laws and our customs. We do not adapt to suit you, you adapt to suit us

If not, the airport is close by.

No to sharia laws, no to burkas, no to favouritism, no to this bullshit of " racism"..Islam is a RELIGION, not a race. Our way or the highway. Choose.

, but yes there are limits. Islam should be allowed, it should be welcomed, it should be celebrated and respected.
    Hard to celebrate a third century violent death cult with anything other than contempt.

However, domestic violence should not. Female genital mutilation should not. Violence against anyone should not.
    Yet they bring their wars and their grudges and their vendettas to our shores. Violence against anyone? Muslims are inherently violent and intolerant.

Laws should not be passed specifically to try to hinder people from practicing their religions or their cultural ways,
    I dont give a rats shit about their culture. Live by OUR culture or piss off.

but if their practices violate already existing, secular-based laws (like laws against domestic violence or child abuse) then they should be punished no different than anyone else.
    Better idea. Deport them that day to whatever fourth world shithole they came from.

This is shady, and if we really get into it, some might argue that multiculturalism and the societal push towards "tolerance" only serves to seperate people into groups
    It does. Multiculturalism means I have to sit and smile at some woman who wants to wear a burka and then when challenged by a cop for a speeding fine, screams "racist", and "tolerate" her ways.

Like fuck I will.

, where their goal is to "not get too close" so they don't step on anyone's toes. Some people believe that having a more unified, national culture is better for the country, and in some cases it is. Then again, America has always been a society of diverse cultures.
    If you do not see yourself as American first, last and always, then there is the problem right there. One loyalty, one goal, one President, one law.

Multiculturalism isn't 100% good, there should be a limit to "tolerance"
    No tolerance at all. Come here and live according to our laws and our customs or LEAVE.

, but we should still respect other people and other cultures, and allow them their freedom gaurunteed by the constitution to be who they are and worship how they choose.
    They same freedoms they want removed or curtailed because it "offends them". I dont give a fuck if they are offended.

102 dead over this

this is the face of multiculturalism

It's a balancing act, and different people are going to find different ways to find a balance.

Religion of peace..MY ASS..........
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 07-31-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Sonnabend

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    No, it should not. Our laws, our way of life. Adapt, assimilate or leave. You came here, live as we do, under our laws and our customs. We do not adapt to suit you, you adapt to suit us

If not, the airport is close by.

No to sharia laws, no to burkas, no to favouritism, no to this bullshit of " racism"..Islam is a RELIGION, not a race. Our way or the highway. Choose.

Hard to celebrate a third century violent death cult with anything other than contempt.

Yet they bring their wars and their grudges and their vendettas to our shores. Violence against anyone? Muslims are inherently violent and intolerant.

I dont give a rats shit about their culture. Live by OUR culture or piss off.

Better idea. Deport them that day to whatever fourth world shithole they came from.

It does. Multiculturalism means I have to sit and smile at some woman who wants to wear a burka and then when challenged by a cop for a speeding fine, screams "racist", and "tolerate" her ways.

Like fuck I will.

If you do not see yourself as American first, last and always, then there is the problem right there. One loyalty, one goal, one President, one law.

No tolerance at all. Come here and live according to our laws and our customs or LEAVE.

They same freedoms they want removed or curtailed because it "offends them". I dont give a fuck if they are offended.

102 dead over this

this is the face of multiculturalism

Religion of peace..MY ASS..........
    Wow you sure sound like a sane, rational person. Not at all like a mouth-foaming oversensitive islamophobe.

Like fuck I will.
    It doesn't mean that you have to smile at anyone, you are talking nonsense. It just means that if a woman chooses to wear a burka she has the right to do so. No one should treat her with violence or try to force her to not wear what she wants.

Just like if someone decides to wear a yarmulke or dress in amish clothing, you can't force them out of the community.

No one is saying you have to like her, no one is saying you have to smile at her or even talk to her, it just means you have to respect her space and her religious choices the same way you want your own to be respected.