Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Wow you sure sound like a sane, rational person. Not at all like a mouth-foaming oversensitive islamophobe.

It doesn't mean that you have to smile at anyone, you are talking nonsense. It just means that if a woman chooses to wear a burka she has the right to do so. No one should treat her with violence or try to force her to not wear what she wants.

Just like if someone decides to wear a yarmulke or dress in amish clothing, you can't force them out of the community.

No one is saying you have to like her, no one is saying you have to smile at her or even talk to her, it just means you have to respect her space and her religious choices the same way you want your own to be respected.
    Aaaaannnddd once again Wee Wee swings and misses by a country mile as Sonna's post goes right over his head.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Sonnabend
    Wow you sure sound like a sane, rational person. Not at all like a mouth-foaming oversensitive islamophobe.
    Ah that nice meme again "Islamophobe"..at least i am glad you didnt say racist, because I have coffee here and dont want to have to clean my keyboard.

My assessment of your idiocy just went up four notches. You went from idiot to imbecile.

Well done.

It doesn't mean that you have to smile at anyone, you are talking nonsense. It just means that if a woman chooses to wear a burka she has the right to do so.
    She has no such "right" and never has had. Bullshit. Like your meme of "having a right to a visa"...neither "right" exists in reality. I would LOVE to see that, go on a plan e without a visa samnd then when you get there demand to be let in and tyell them you have a right to a visa

They'll either deport you or imprison you, probably both since you are an illegal immigrant.

Not when that means she evades or disobeys laws. One stupid Muslim woman almost smashed into me today. She reversed and said she didnt see me...why? That stupid burka wrecked her sight area and that stupid bitch didnt see me because that idiotic piece of garb got in her way. She has no "right" to wear that, especially if she is behind the wheel.

Didnt speak any English either, didn't read the sign that said ONE WAY.

Another example is the burka wearing woman who walks into a shop and hands over a credit card. The man says show me your face and she says "I have a right to wear this"..he hands the purchase and the card back and says either show me your face or leave

She calls him a racist and an islamophobe.,.the fact that she isnt the person whose name is on the card isnt mentioned and the fact she is attempting fraud doesnt occur to her..after all, its her culture to wear that.

Our laws, our culture, our way, or leave. Our way, or the airport.

Just like if someone decides to wear a yarmulke or dress in amish clothing, you can't force them out of the community.
    A yarmulke doesnt obstruct line of sight or identity. A dress, you fool, is clothes and if she doesnt wear it she can and will be arrested for indecent exposure.

Bad choice.
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 08-01-2011 at 01:36 AM.

Multiculturalism should be encouraged, but yes there are limits. Islam should be allowed, it should be welcomed, it should be celebrated and respected. However, domestic violence should not. Female genital mutilation should not. Violence against anyone should not.

Laws should not be passed specifically to try to hinder people from practicing their religions or their cultural ways, but if their practices violate already existing, secular-based laws (like laws against domestic violence or child abuse) then they should be punished no different than anyone else.

This is shady, and if we really get into it, some might argue that multiculturalism and the societal push towards "tolerance" only serves to seperate people into groups, where their goal is to "not get too close" so they don't step on anyone's toes. Some people believe that having a more unified, national culture is better for the country, and in some cases it is. Then again, America has always been a society of diverse cultures.

Multiculturalism isn't 100% good, there should be a limit to "tolerance", but we should still respect other people and other cultures, and allow them their freedom gaurunteed by the constitution to be who they are and worship how they choose.

It's a balancing act, and different people are going to find different ways to find a balance.

I think a foolish tendecy for modern liberals is that they obsess over being "politically correct" and "tolerant", they cannot see any negatives to multiculturalism and think it is the Highest Goal for the Left.
    You are an idiot. Multiculturalism is idiocy. The reason why early 20th Century immigrants were able to prosper in this country is because they came here and assimilated. Yes, they lived in their own little communities(Chinatown, Little Italy, etc) but other wise, they assimilated into American society. Sure there were bumps in the road(Irish Need Not apply) but those bumps were overcome. In short, they basically left their culture in Europe, Russia, China, Japan, etc. and became Americans. Multiculturalism encourages not only bringing your home culture here but putting that culture ahead of this country. This only leads to disaster.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

It doesn't mean that you have to smile at anyone, you are talking nonsense. It just means that if a woman chooses to wear a burka she has the right to do so.
    She has no such "right" and never has had
    Actually wee wee is right. She does have the right to wear a burka. However, she must remove said burka for the purposes of being photographed for a drivers license or any other means of identification. Meaning if I owned a place of business, I would have the right to refuse service to anyone who doesn't adhere to my "No Covered Faces" policy. Especially if I ran a bank or some other business where large amounts of money is around.
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 08-01-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Actually wee wee is right. She does have the right to wear a burka. However, she must remove said burka for the purposes of being photographed for a drivers license or any other means of identification. Meaning if I owned a place of business, I would have the right to refuse service to anyone who doesn't adhere to my "No Covered Faces" policy. Especially if I ran a bank or some other business where large amounts of money is around.

She also doesn't have the right to drive while wearing a burka, if it blocks her ability to see (and how can it not impair vision?).

I think part of the problem here is that everyone is defining the term multiculturalism in different ways. It all depends on to which extent immigrants assimilate into the culture and what parts of their heritage they decide to keep. Most groups, including the early waves of arab/muslim immigrants have assimilated, for the most part. They've kept some things, like the hijab or the halal diet, but the women vote and drive, the kids go to public school, and so on. It's the newer waves, who are coming from places where
    a more radical version of Islam is practiced (E. Africa, Iran, Afganistan), who cling to things like burkas and such. I see burkas in Hamtramck, among the immigrants from Somalia, more than I see it in Dearborn, where the people came mostly from Syria and Lebanon in the 80s.

There are people like my grandpa, who totally assimilated and never spoke german again once he came here. If you didn't know, you would never guess he wasn't born in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

There are people like my grandpa, who totally assimilated and never spoke german again once he came here. If you didn't know, you would never guess he wasn't born in the US.
    Same goes for my ex. Her and her family came here in the early 60's from Italy and she didn't say her first English sentence until she went to school here(no bi-lingual classes then) and it was "May I sharpen my pencil?" Now, her and her brother have no accent whatsoever.

...some might argue that multiculturalism and the societal push towards "tolerance" only serves to seperate people into groups, where their goal is to "not get too close" so they don't step on anyone's toes. Some people believe that having a more unified, national culture is better for the country...

I think a foolish tendecy for modern liberals is that they obsess over being "politically correct" and "tolerant", they cannot see any negatives to multiculturalism and think it is the Highest Goal for the Left.
    I couldn't agree more. :D