Thread: Biden charging Secret Service for cottage rental

1. #1 Biden charging Secret Service for cottage rental 
    The U.S. Secret Service does more than protect Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. — the agency also pays him rent.

Since April, Mr. Biden has collected more than $13,000 from the agency charged with protecting him and his family for use of a rental cottage adjacent to the waterfront home he owns in a Wilmington, Del., suburb.

Mr. Biden, listed not as vice president in federal purchasing documents but as a “vendor,” is eligible for up to $66,000 by the time the government contract expires in the fall of 2013, the records show.

Officials say the arrangement came about when a previous tenant moved out of the cottage and the Secret Service moved in.

Edwin M. Donovan, special agent in charge at the Secret Service's Office of Government and Public Affairs in Washington, said the agency pays $2,200 in rent per-month, the same amount a previous tenant had paid before moving out.

He said the close location provides a level of security for the Biden family the agency might not have had otherwise. Asked if the Secret Service typically pays rent to the people it protects, he said, “It’s a rental property so we pay rent there.”

Taxpayer watchdogs say the Secret Service should do everything it can to protect Mr. Biden, but they wonder whether he should be collecting rent from the agency while it’s doing its job.

“He should be afforded every single protection available to him and his family, as should every vice president and president,” said Leslie Paige, spokeswoman for the Washington-based Citizens Against Government Waste.

“But this arrangement seems bizarre to me,” she added. “You’d think the vice president, who shepherded the deficit committee, would think twice about charging the Secret Service rent. Why would he need the money? I don’t get it.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ottage-rental/
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

The Secret Service should turn around and charge him for their services and make it twice what he is charging them.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Biden has an investment in the property. He should be expected to get a return on his investment. After all, he is responsible for taxes and repairs.

Sounds like he's getting 3000/month or so.........is that high? I dunno. Waterfront. Delaware. Maybe not.

Famously, Biden was one of the poorest senators. Maybe he needs the money.:D

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    Biden has an investment in the property. He should be expected to get a return on his investment. After all, he is responsible for taxes and repairs.

Sounds like he's getting 3000/month or so.........is that high? I dunno. Waterfront. Delaware. Maybe not.

Famously, Biden was one of the poorest senators. Maybe he needs the money.:D
    Hopefully he'll be retired soon. Biden sure isn't setting a good example for deficit reduction. What a tool. I pity the poor Secret Service agents who have to defend him. I'll bet they're bored to death.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"