Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Getting rid of fleas. 
    My dog got a flee infestation when we were visiting my mother, and now I can't get them off of her.

Since returning home I've given her two flee baths, applied the liquid stuff that you buy in stores, and have had her wearing a flee collar. All of it to no effect.

She's been scratching and biting so bad I'm worried she's gonna start bleeding soon. The flees from there are really vicious. They actually drove an old dog of mine to chew her tail off.

Any off the wall tips on what I can try, or should I just head to the vet to see if they got some of the higher end stuff?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

My wife uses some pretty good stuff on our dog, when she gets home I will get the name for you. The problem may be the fleas are in the carpet or her bed. The dog is reinfected after her bath. You may have to "bomb" the house as well.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    The fleas down here are bad and of course, year round.

Xena and Darlene got them bad a couple of weeks before we came up to St. Louis and I think it was my fault for letting too much time go between the flea treatments.

We normally use Frontline Plus.

I did buy a box of Pet Armor Plus from Wal-Mart/Sams Club to try. It's supposed to be the same as Frontline and it was 10 bucs a box cheaper. Haven't used it yet though...
    May the FORCE be with you!

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CCQQ8wIwAQ

You need a product containing precor, I have six dogs in the house and haven't seen a flea in many years.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CCQQ8wIwAQ

You need a product containing precor, I have six dogs in the house and haven't seen a flea in many years.
    Yep, Frontline + has worked greyt for us for years, I just let the treatment interval go too long and the little buggers got a hold inside. It was also Spring. Once I retreated the pups the bugs were gone.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Yep, Frontline + has worked greyt for us for years, I just let the treatment interval go too long and the little buggers got a hold inside. It was also Spring. Once I retreated the pups the bugs were gone.
    That's the best stuff.
    I use flea shampoo year round for prevention, though.

Once you know all the fleas on the dog are gone, get your carpet and furniture steam-cleaned.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    That's the best stuff.
    I use flea shampoo year round for prevention, though.

Once you know all the fleas on the dog are gone, get your carpet and furniture steam-cleaned.

Don't settle for JUST steam-cleaning. Make sure you bomb the place also - or at least spray with a GOOD flea killer that will kill all stages of the flea life cycle.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

With the pregnant wife and a three year old child, bombing is gonna be the absolute last resort. The flees have now spread to the cat, so I gotta get this under control. We're gonna vacuum and shampoo all the carpets, and then get something that we can apply to it afterwards to help kill them off. I value the skin on my arms, so I guess I just have to dish out some cash to get my cat washed by professionals.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    With the pregnant wife and a three year old child, bombing is gonna be the absolute last resort. The flees have now spread to the cat, so I gotta get this under control. We're gonna vacuum and shampoo all the carpets, and then get something that we can apply to it afterwards to help kill them off. I value the skin on my arms, so I guess I just have to dish out some cash to get my cat washed by professionals.

Try a good quality powder - let it stand for the prescribed amount of time and then vacuum it up keep the Mrs. out of the house until you have finished vacuuming - do a thorough job and things should be ok.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Banned
    Whatever you do, do not let it get out of control. I had a renter that had 6 cats. The house was infested with fleas and got into the baseboards. I used the strongest insecticide that was restricted to outdoor use several times but wound up having a professional spray it twice. You will need two applications 1 now and another in two weeks when the eggs hatch. Bombs did not work for me.