1. #1 Piece of Disintegrated Columbia Found in Texas Lake 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Piece of Disintegrated Shuttle Columbia Found in a Drought Dried Out Texas Lake Eight Years After Tragic Crash

A piece of debris from the doomed space shuttle Columbia has been found in a lake in Texas after drought caused the water levels to recede, exposing the relic eight years after it fell to Earth.

Police in Nacogdoches called Nasa after a 4ft-wide sphere that plunged from the spacecraft as it broke up during its return to Earth on February 1, 2003, was found sitting in mud on the north side of the local lake.

More than 84,000 pieces of wreckage from Columbia rained down on Texas and Louisiana as the spacecraft disintegrated at hypersonic speed, just minutes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

What a sad reminder.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    What a sad reminder.
    sad reminder of what bullshit "green" technologies can do :mad::mad:
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    sad reminder of what bullshit "green" technologies can do :mad::mad:
    I don't get it. The shuttle took off with a roar that would kill anyone within 800 yards (really!) spewing hot, toxic gases with so much force it, like punched a hole through time, orbited the earth so high that there is no atmosphere, was made of exotic materials so difficult to produce that they are nearly priceless, and the people inside - inside, I remind you - were in so much danger that they were wearing space suits when they died.

so 'splain me.....What's green about that?

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    I don't get it. The shuttle took off with a roar that would kill anyone within 800 yards (really!) spewing hot, toxic gases with so much force it, like punched a hole through time, orbited the earth so high that there is no atmosphere, was made of exotic materials so difficult to produce that they are nearly priceless, and the people inside - inside, I remind you - were in so much danger that they were wearing space suits when they died.

so 'splain me.....What's green about that?
    The thermal insulation foam that they used during launch that damaged the tiles was changed in the 90's from one that was far less brittle and rarely if ever broke off to one that they used since because the original foam was supposedly toxic to the environment
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    The thermal insulation foam that they used during launch that damaged the tiles was changed in the 90's from one that was far less brittle and rarely if ever broke off to one that they used since because the original foam was supposedly toxic to the environment
    Jeez, I can't believe they would suddenly be all concerned about the environment after spewing the equivalent of 50,000 airline exhausts into the air.

On second thought, I can believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    Jeez, I can't believe they would suddenly be all concerned about the environment after spewing the equivalent of 50,000 airline exhausts into the air.

On second thought, I can believe it.
    yeah, pretty much....I tried to find an article on the change but couldn't. I do know that it happened under Clinton

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90890&page=1

this one is about the tiles and their history of problems, plus pretty scathing report on the massive cutbacks that the shuttle program had under Clinton.