1. #1 8 steps to a healthy heart 
    With so many at an increasingly young age being struck down by heart attacks and strokes, thought this information might be useful.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/heart-...ealth_20110804

8 Steps to a Healthy Heart
    Healthy Heart, Healthy You

A healthy diet, weight management, and regular exercise are just some of the important ways you can help to prevent heart disease. Follow these tips for better heart health and overall health.

By Diana Rodriguez
    Medically reviewed by Cynthia Haines, MD

Page 1 of 10
    Next

Your heart has a big job to do and a healthy heart plays a huge role in your overall health. "A healthy heart and cardiovascular system is at the center of well-being," says Karol E. Watson, MD, associate professor of medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine and co-director, UCLA Center for Cholesterol and Lipid Management Office in Los Angeles. "The heart pumps blood through your vessels to all your vital organs, including your brain, so chronic heart or blood vessel disease can lead to not only stroke and heart attack, but depression and decreased brain function," adds Dr. Watson. Here are eight steps you can take starting right now to prevent heart disease and maintain a healthy heart.
    Last Updated: 05/27/2011
    Next: Diet for a Healthy Heart
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS

The big Cheese
    why are they always first out the gate slamming staturated fats.....RED MEAT WILL NOT KILL YOU!!!
    and optimal body weight? According to the "experts" my optimal body weight is 185....I would look like a cancer patient who is losing the battle at that weight.....
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

[QUOTE=Zafod;439294]why are they always first out the gate slamming staturated fats.....RED MEAT WILL NOT KILL YOU!!!
    [QUOTE]

It will give you high cholesterol if consumed in large amounts. Everything in moderation is key...I'm trying to live by that...Deleting food groups just doesn't work.

The big Cheese
    [QUOTE=Hawkgirl;439325][QUOTE=Zafod;439294]why are they always first out the gate slamming staturated fats.....RED MEAT WILL NOT KILL YOU!!!

It will give you high cholesterol if consumed in large amounts. Everything in moderation is key...I'm trying to live by that...Deleting food groups just doesn't work.
    you do realize that dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on your bodies cholesterol levels?

Breast milk is LOADED with both in spades......

[QUOTE=Zafod;439368][QUOTE=Hawkgirl;439325]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    why are they always first out the gate slamming staturated fats.....RED MEAT WILL NOT KILL YOU!!!

you do realize that dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on your bodies cholesterol levels?

Breast milk is LOADED with both in spades......

I stopped drinking breast milk over 40 years ago

and optimal body weight? According to the "experts" my optimal body weight is 185....I would look like a cancer patient who is losing the battle at that weight.....
    Red meat in moderation won't kill you, but too much just might. I wouldn't want to bet the ranch (or my life) that it won't hurt you.

My dad ate red meat, fats of all kinds (wouldn't want to waste the food you know) and died of congestive heart failure at 67. He had the one and only big one--it got him right away, didn't even make it to the hospital..

I know that the experts come out with warnings that are later refuted, but still won't take the chance with the red meat and fatty meats. A little fat is ok, but too much is taking a chance.

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"

GO CARDS

The big Cheese
    [QUOTE=Hawkgirl;439370][QUOTE=Zafod;439368]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post

I stopped drinking breast milk over 40 years ago
    You missed the point. If large amounts of saturated fat and cholesterol are bad at any time then why is breast milk loaded with them?

Processed food, genetics and sedantary lifestyles are what's killing people.

Your ancestors ate meal primarily of red meats. The native Americans are a food example. The plains Indians ate a diet primarily of buffilo and other game. It's in human genetics to eat meat. I am not saying dig into a bowl of tallow but mono saturated fats and the cholesterol that comes with them is not bad for you.....

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Red meat in moderation won't kill you, but too much just might. I wouldn't want to bet the ranch (or my life) that it won't hurt you.

My dad ate red meat, fats of all kinds (wouldn't want to waste the food you know) and died of congestive heart failure at 67. He had the one and only big one--it got him right away, didn't even make it to the hospital..

I know that the experts come out with warnings that are later refuted, but still won't take the chance with the red meat and fatty meats. A little fat is ok, but too much is taking a chance.
    You say fats of all kinds. So junk as well as normal food right? Sedentary lifestyle or active? Overweight?

You say fats of all kinds. So junk as well as normal food right? Sedentary lifestyle or active? Overweight?
    My dad wasn't overweight, fairly active lifestyle, didn't smoke, drank moderately. He ate no junk food, just red meat and lots of fat on the meat. He didn't cut off the fat. He wasn't a big dessert eater.

Hate to say it, but SR stroked at 52, has a fairly active lifestyle, walked every day, not overweight. But he ate bacon, lots of red meat, refused to cut off the fat, etc etc. He also smoked. Statistically that shouldn't have happened to him, but I firmly believe that nutrition has a lot of bearing on our health.

Now poor guy is being deluged with veggies. :D (and still gets his bacon, although most of the time it's turkey bacon and the red meat now is filet mignon or other leaner cuts).

No one can say with precision exactly what causes the stroke or heart attack, at least they couldn't isolate it to one particular thing for SR, but I think it's wise to follow what Hawkgirl said, moderation.

Most of us aren't strolling the plains, stalking animals with a spear and walking 90% of the time. They might have been exclusive meat eaters, but that was a loooong time ago. :p

"

GO CARDS

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Most of us aren't strolling the plains, stalking animals with a spear and walking 90% of the time. They might have been exclusive meat eaters, but that was a loooong time ago. :p

so what you are saying is we have de-evolved?

I am not advocating the Paleo diet but the followers have some of the right ideas.

I find it funny that I start a anibolic diet, eat 5 pounds of bacon a week on top of red meat and my cholesterol levels drop....

But the momment I start eating sugar, pasta and other refined processed crap it goes through the roof.....