Thread: Afghan President: 31 Americans Killed in Helicopter Crash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    KABUL A helicopter crash in Afghanistan's eastern Wardak province has killed 31 U.S. special operation troops and seven Afghan soldiers, the country's president said on Saturday. It was the highest number of casualties recorded in a single incident in the decade-long war.

President Hamid Karzai sent his condolences to President Barack Obama, according to a statement issued by his office.

"A NATO helicopter crashed last night in Wardak province," Karzai said in the statement, adding that 31 American special operations troops were killed. "President Karzai expressed his deep condolences because of this incident and expressed his sympathy to Barack Obama."

NATO confirmed the overnight crash and said the alliance was conducting a recovery operation at the site and investigating the cause of the crash, but did not release details or a casualty figure. The coalition said there "was enemy activity in the area."

"We are aware of an incident involving a helicopter in eastern Afghanistan," said U.S. Air Force Capt. Justin Brockhoff, a NATO spokesman. "We are in the process of accessing the facts."

A spokesman for Wardak province, Shahidullah Shahid, said the helicopter crashed in the Sayd Abad district of Wardak province. The volatile region borders the province of Kabul where the Afghan capital is located and is known for its strong Taliban presence.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/08...est=latestnews

A Nato Chinook helicopter has been shot down by Taliban insurgents, killing 31 American special forces soldiers in one of the worst single incidents in Afghanistan.

The aircraft was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade and crashed in the Tangi valley of Wardak province, west of the Afghan capital, Kabul.

A condolence statement from Hamid Karzai said 31 Americans had been killed and seven Afghans, making it the bloodiest incident for the United States and the coalition in the decade-long campaign.

Coalition head quarters in Kabul confirmed a helicopter had crashed in eastern Afghanistan, but a spokesman would not comment on casualty figures.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...es-troops.html

Crap.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Jesus Christ that is bad.
    May the FORCE be with you!

In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Oops! Sorry I screwed this one up. Tx had the story 1st.

I shouldn't try to merge things before coffee...:o
    May the FORCE be with you!

Post self-deleted for unintended lack of sensitivity in this serious thread.

Sorry guys!
    Last edited by ABC in Georgia; 08-06-2011 at 01:43 PM.
    American By Choice ~ 1980

This story was bad...and now it just got worse:

WASHINGTON -- The Associated Press has learned that more than 20 Navy SEALs from the unit that killed Osama bin Laden were among those lost in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan.

The operators from SEAL Team Six were flown by a crew of the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment. That's according to one current and one former U.S. official. Both spoke on condition of anonymity because families are still being notified of the loss of their loved ones.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/08...icopter-crash/

Just damn...
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Oh Mercy!

How awful. They were such brave souls on a dreadfully dangerous mission.

My heart goes out to their families, and will include them in my prayers tonight.

Note - I just deleted my nonsense in post #6 above. Apologies once again.
    Last edited by ABC in Georgia; 08-06-2011 at 01:47 PM.
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Banned
    Prayers for all of their families and for everyone who puts on the uniform every day to serve our country

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Damn. Thoughts and prayers to the families. :(
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!