Thread: Baking Bacon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1 Baking Bacon 
    Senior Member jendf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,697
    I'm sure all you baconholics already knew about this method but this was new to me. I ran across this in one of the many cooking blogs I peruse regularly. The bacon came out perfectly crisp.

    What I loved about this method is that while the bacon is cooking, I could work on scrambling the eggs and toasting the english muffins. One less pan to pay attention to. :)

    1. Lay bacon strips on a foil-lined baking sheet.
    2. Place baking sheet in oven on center rack.
    3. Turn on oven to 400 degrees.
    4. Around the 10 minute mark, start paying close attention to it. Based on the thickness of the bacon and how you like it cooked, you can start removing it in 2-7 minutes. (I like it barely crisp so I removed it right at the 10 minute mark.
    5. Remove the bacon from the sheet immediately. Place on a paper towel-lined paper plate.

    Eat and enjoy!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Posts
    13,581
    Good Idea. Thanks Jen.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    I'm sure all you baconholics already knew about this method but this was new to me. I ran across this in one of the many cooking blogs I peruse regularly. The bacon came out perfectly crisp.

    What I loved about this method is that while the bacon is cooking, I could work on scrambling the eggs and toasting the english muffins. One less pan to pay attention to. :)

    1. Lay bacon strips on a foil-lined baking sheet.
    2. Place baking sheet in oven on center rack.
    3. Turn on oven to 400 degrees.
    4. Around the 10 minute mark, start paying close attention to it. Based on the thickness of the bacon and how you like it cooked, you can start removing it in 2-7 minutes. (I like it barely crisp so I removed it right at the 10 minute mark.
    5. Remove the bacon from the sheet immediately. Place on a paper towel-lined paper plate.

    Eat and enjoy!
    Another method is to lay half a pound of the separated slices on a double layer of kitchen paper toweling and roll up the toweling as you go. When all rolled, Place it on a sheet tray...By laying out several rolls a whole pound of bacon may be cooked at once....

    The paper won't burn at about 350 F or even 400 F (Remember Fahrenheit 451 ? ) and That way keeps from splattering grease all over the stove top....The bacon will cook through the paper and the grease will be absorbed into the toweling..Simply unroll to eat but watch out..the towels will be filled with hot bacon grease....
    Last edited by megimoo; 08-06-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    You can microwave bacon too. Just lay a few strips of bacon between a few sheets of paper towels. Microwave on high for about a minute per strip, then 30 seconds as a time to match your crispiness.

    The papertowels soak up all the grease and the bacon comes out in nice, straight, crispy strips.

    I love to bake bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers. Cut open some 'penos and stuff them with cream cheese and cheddar, then close them by lancing them with toothpicks and wrap with bacon using the toothpicks to hold them in place. bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees and enjoy. wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member jendf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,697
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Another method is to lay half a pound of the separated slices on a double layer of kitchen paper toweling and roll up the toweling as you go. When all rolled, Place it on a sheet tray...By laying out several rolls a whole pound of bacon may be cooked at once....

    The paper won't burn at about 350 F or even 400 F (Remember Fahrenheit 451 ? ) and That way keeps from splattering grease all over the stove top....The bacon will cook through the paper and the grease will be absorbed into the toweling..Simply unroll to eat but watch out..the towels will be filled with hot bacon grease....
    I would be too nervous to stick paper towels in an oven.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    I would be too nervous to stick paper towels in an oven.
    If you're nervous about using an oven just put the paper towel rolls on a few paper plates and into the microwave as We We suggests.....They'll cook faster that way ...and still soak up the grease..
    or
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=panAo...eature=related
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member jendf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,697
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    If you're nervous about using an oven just put the paper towel rolls on a few paper plates and into the microwave as We We suggests.....They'll cook faster that way ...and still soak up the grease..
    or
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=panAo...eature=related
    That's essentially the method I used.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member malloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Posts
    2,160
    Baking is how I usually prepare bacon. My grandparents owned a restaurant when I was little, and for the breakfast service they went through a lot of bacon. You know those big baker's racks on wheels? They had these huge sheet pans that would fill with bacon and put in the oven every morning, then load them into the baking rack.

    The smell was amazing!
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member jendf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,697
    I got the latest issue of Food Network Magazine in the mail yesterday and wouldn't you know it--there is a whole section on bacon! It mentions the baking technique too. I feel like my eyes have been opened for the first time. LOL. :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    13,094
    My grandpa has this plastic thing he drapes the bacon on, then sticks it into the microwave. It has an area on each side for collecting the grease as it drips down the rack.


    I don't know if this is a consumer product, or just something he came up with-you never know with a 98 year old engineer and inventor.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •