Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Someone sent me photos of what Hiroshima and Detroit looked like today and you'd think Detroit got hit with a bomb, while Hiroshima is all nice and shinny. :(
    to bad. if detroit was in a foreign country we'd send all they need to rebuild
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    1945...Man are you old.....Sorry,Just yanking your chain...
    Funny, I don't feel old. I went hiking with my wife yesterday. It was about 95, so we only went a couple miles. Hummingbirds. Armadillo. Golden Finch.
    Then, in the afternoon I mowed the yard. Push mower, but self propelled. Heat index 107.

For Everyone's Information:

Not smoking pays BIG dividends.

(Hijack over. Back to The Bomb):)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    according to many a libtard and pacifists ive argued with it was not necessary and they still brand us (that generation) as racists and mass murderer's. these debate's were hotly contested and resulted in member's getting banned.
    the tards argued they were finished. done for. all we had to do was wait for the surrender. I argued the Kamikaze attacks off Okinawa proved they were far from finished. plus they were attempting to build their own Abomb.

What those idiots don't realize is that through about 2005 we were still pinning Purple Heart medals made for the expected casualties from the invasion of the Japanese Home Island..

So much for their "finished and done for" argument. We'd seen what kind of fight we were in for during the Okinawa invasion. Truman made the right call.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    What those idiots don't realize is that through about 2005 we were still pinning Purple Heart medals made for the expected casualties from the invasion of the Japanese Home Island..

So much for their "finished and done for" argument. We'd seen what kind of fight we were in for during the Okinawa invasion. Truman made the right call.
    yes he did. if he didn't drop em he could have faced impeachment

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    yes he did. if he didn't drop em he could have faced impeachment
    Atomic Bomb-Truman Press Release-August 6, 1945
    Introduction

In the early morning hours of July 16, 1945, great anticipation and fear ran rampant at White Sands Missile Range near Alamogordo, New Mexico. Robert Oppenheimer, director of the Manhattan Project, could hardly breathe. Years of secrecy, research, and tests were riding on this moment. "For the last few seconds, he stared directly ahead and when the announcer shouted Now!' and there came this tremendous burst of light followed abruptly there after by the deep growling of the explosion, his face relaxed into an expression of tremendous relief," recalled General L. R. Groves of Oppenheimer, in a memorandum for Secretary of War George Marshall. The explosion carrying more power than 20,000 tons of TNT and visible for more than 200 miles succeeded. The world's first atomic bomb had been detonated.
    snip
    President Harry Truman had many alternatives at his disposal for ending the war: invade the Japanese mainland, hold a demonstration of the destructive power of the atomic bomb for Japanese dignitaries, drop an atomic bomb on selected industrial Japanese cities, bomb and blockade the islands, wait for Soviet entry into the war on August 15, or mediate a compromised peace. Operation Olympia, a full scale landing of United States armed forces, was already planned for Kyushu on November 1, 1945 and a bomb and blockade plan had already been instituted over the Japanese mainland for several months.
    snip
    Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka, and Kobe all were decimated by incendiary and other bombs. In all, hundreds of thousands of civilians were killed in these air strikes meant to deter the resolve of the Japanese people. Yet, Japanese resolve stayed strong and the idea of a bloody "house to house" invasion of the Japanese mainland would produce thousands more American and Allied casualties. The Allies in late July 1945 declared at Potsdam that the Japanese must unconditionally surrender.

After Japanese leaders flatly rejected the Potsdam Declaration, President Truman authorized use of the atomic bomb anytime after August 3, 1945. On the clear morning of August 6, the first atomic bomb, nicknamed Little Boy, was dropped on the city of Hiroshima. Leveling over 60 percent of the city, 70,000 residents died instantaneously in a searing flash of heat. Three days later, on August 9, a second bomb, Fat Man, was dropped on Nagasaki. Over 20,000 people died instantly. In the successive weeks, thousands more Japanese died from the after effects of the radiation exposure of the blast.

http://www.trumanlibrary.org/teacher/abomb.htm

Atomic Bomb-Truman Press Release-August 6, 1945
    Introduction

In the early morning hours of July 16, 1945, great anticipation and fear ran rampant at White Sands Missile Range near Alamogordo, New Mexico. Robert Oppenheimer, director of the Manhattan Project, could hardly breathe. Years of secrecy, research, and tests were riding on this moment. "For the last few seconds, he stared directly ahead and when the announcer shouted Now!' and there came this tremendous burst of light followed abruptly there after by the deep growling of the explosion, his face relaxed into an expression of tremendous relief," recalled General L. R. Groves of Oppenheimer, in a memorandum for Secretary of War George Marshall. The explosion carrying more power than 20,000 tons of TNT and visible for more than 200 miles succeeded. The world's first atomic bomb had been detonated.
    snip
    President Harry Truman had many alternatives at his disposal for ending the war: invade the Japanese mainland, hold a demonstration of the destructive power of the atomic bomb for Japanese dignitaries, drop an atomic bomb on selected industrial Japanese cities, bomb and blockade the islands, wait for Soviet entry into the war on August 15, or mediate a compromised peace. Operation Olympia, a full scale landing of United States armed forces, was already planned for Kyushu on November 1, 1945 and a bomb and blockade plan had already been instituted over the Japanese mainland for several months.
    snip
    Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka, and Kobe all were decimated by incendiary and other bombs. In all, hundreds of thousands of civilians were killed in these air strikes meant to deter the resolve of the Japanese people. Yet, Japanese resolve stayed strong and the idea of a bloody "house to house" invasion of the Japanese mainland would produce thousands more American and Allied casualties. The Allies in late July 1945 declared at Potsdam that the Japanese must unconditionally surrender.

After Japanese leaders flatly rejected the Potsdam Declaration, President Truman authorized use of the atomic bomb anytime after August 3, 1945. On the clear morning of August 6, the first atomic bomb, nicknamed Little Boy, was dropped on the city of Hiroshima. Leveling over 60 percent of the city, 70,000 residents died instantaneously in a searing flash of heat. Three days later, on August 9, a second bomb, Fat Man, was dropped on Nagasaki. Over 20,000 people died instantly. In the successive weeks, thousands more Japanese died from the after effects of the radiation exposure of the blast.

http://www.trumanlibrary.org/teacher/abomb.htm
    he was under a lot of pressue not to drop it. even from the military. Eisenhower and MacArthur were against it as were many others. the "others" had no combat experience. Eisenhower stating no reason to drop that monstrous thing. they were licked. MacArthur just wanted the glory of an invasion.
    add to it the scientists, including Oppenheimer, petetioned Truman not to use it.
    .to make matters worse the country was sick of this war. tired of see boat loads of coffins come home. the bond drives dropped off and there was danger of funding running out. here's the docs on that site you posted

link

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    My Favorite President..An Old Time Democrat,..Honorable,Plain Speaking and Honest to a Fault..

.Some Quotes......

I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it.
    Interview with Edward R. Murrow on CBS Television (27 May 1955)
    Now days battles are just sort of a "You shoot up my town and I'll shoot up yours." They say that Americans don't play fair. They shoot 'em up all the time. I hope so because I want to finish this job as soon as possible and begin making an honest living again.
    Letter to Bess Wallace (31 July 1918)
    If we see that Germany is winning we ought to help Russia and if Russia is winning we ought to help Germany, and that way let them kill as many as possible, although I don't want to see Hitler victorious under any circumstances. Neither of them thinks anything of their pledged word.
    As quoted in The New York Times (24 June 1941); also in TIME magazine (2 July 1951))
    Tell him to go to hell; I'm for Jimmy Byrnes.
    Upon hearing that Franklin Roosevelt wanted him to be his vice presidential running mate (21 July 1944), as quoted in Choosing Truman : The Democratic Convention of 1944 (1994); also quoted in "Harry S. Truman : America's last great leader?" in USA Today magazine (January 1995) by the Society for the Advancement of Education
    A politician is a man who understands government, and it takes a politician to run a government. A statesman is a politician who's been dead 10 or 15 years.
    As quoted in The New York World Telegram & Sun (12 April 1958)
    I fired him because he wouldn't respect the authority of the president. That's the answer to that. I didn't fire him because he was a dumb son of a bitch, although he was, but that's not against the law for generals. If it was, half to three-quarters of them would be in jail.
    On General Douglas MacArthur, as quoted in Plain Speaking : An Oral Biography of Harry S Truman (1974) by Merle Mille
    Mr. Luce, you've asked a fair question and I'll give you a fair answer. I've been in politics thirty-five years and everything that could be said about a human being has been said about me. But my wife has never been in politics. She has always conducted herself in a circumspect manner and no one has a right to make derogatory remarks about here. Now your wife has said many unkind and untrue things about Mrs. Truman. And as long as I am in residence here, she'll not be a guest in the White House.
    Letter to Henry Luce, 1945; as quoted in Good Old Harry
    The people can never understand why the President does not use his powers to make them behave. Well all the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing, and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway.
    Letter to Mary Jane Truman (14 November 1947)
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Harry_S._Truman

My Favorite President..An Old Time Democrat,..Honorable,Plain Speaking and Honest to a Fault..

.Some Quotes......

I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it.
    Interview with Edward R. Murrow on CBS Television (27 May 1955)
    Now days battles are just sort of a "You shoot up my town and I'll shoot up yours." They say that Americans don't play fair. They shoot 'em up all the time. I hope so because I want to finish this job as soon as possible and begin making an honest living again.
    Letter to Bess Wallace (31 July 1918)
    If we see that Germany is winning we ought to help Russia and if Russia is winning we ought to help Germany, and that way let them kill as many as possible, although I don't want to see Hitler victorious under any circumstances. Neither of them thinks anything of their pledged word.
    As quoted in The New York Times (24 June 1941); also in TIME magazine (2 July 1951))
    Tell him to go to hell; I'm for Jimmy Byrnes.
    Upon hearing that Franklin Roosevelt wanted him to be his vice presidential running mate (21 July 1944), as quoted in Choosing Truman : The Democratic Convention of 1944 (1994); also quoted in "Harry S. Truman : America's last great leader?" in USA Today magazine (January 1995) by the Society for the Advancement of Education
    A politician is a man who understands government, and it takes a politician to run a government. A statesman is a politician who's been dead 10 or 15 years.
    As quoted in The New York World Telegram & Sun (12 April 1958)
    I fired him because he wouldn't respect the authority of the president. That's the answer to that. I didn't fire him because he was a dumb son of a bitch, although he was, but that's not against the law for generals. If it was, half to three-quarters of them would be in jail.
    On General Douglas MacArthur, as quoted in Plain Speaking : An Oral Biography of Harry S Truman (1974) by Merle Mille
    Mr. Luce, you've asked a fair question and I'll give you a fair answer. I've been in politics thirty-five years and everything that could be said about a human being has been said about me. But my wife has never been in politics. She has always conducted herself in a circumspect manner and no one has a right to make derogatory remarks about here. Now your wife has said many unkind and untrue things about Mrs. Truman. And as long as I am in residence here, she'll not be a guest in the White House.
    Letter to Henry Luce, 1945; as quoted in Good Old Harry
    The people can never understand why the President does not use his powers to make them behave. Well all the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing, and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway.
    Letter to Mary Jane Truman (14 November 1947)
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Harry_S._Truman
    he hated being prez. and Bess hated DC. they couldn't wait to go home. im originally from his home town. Independence, mo. graduated from HS there. he used to take some of his walks in front the school. I got to meet after i came home from Nam.

in the 1976 PBS did a special on him called plain speaking. it starred Ed Flanders as Truman. bad language and all. and man was it good. I think it won an emmy. i think its on DVD. I hope.
    Last edited by namvet; 08-07-2011 at 09:58 PM.

he hated being prez. and Bess hated DC. they couldn't wait to go home. im originally from his home town. Independence, mo. graduated from HS there. he used to take some of his walks in front the school. I got to meet after i came home from Nam.

in the 1976 PBS did a special on him called plain speaking. it starred Ed Flanders as Truman. bad language and all. and man was it good. I think it won an emmy. i think its on DVD. I hope.
    If the stories are true what he really wanted to do was go to war as an Artillery Colonel he was serving as in the Missouri National Guard and resign his position in Congress. But the War Dept. retired him.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    If the stories are true what he really wanted to do was go to war as an Artillery Colonel he was serving as in the Missouri National Guard and resign his position in Congress. But the War Dept. retired him.
    presidents back then were not given any benefits like they have today. Truman lived on his military pension. about 1200 bucks a mon