1. #1 Women buying 'essential' oils blamed for rise in house fires 
    Fire chiefs are investigating a spate of unexplained fires thought to have been sparked by towels and linen covered in scented oils.

Officials are linking at least half-a-dozen fires in recent months in homes, launderettes and beauty salons to the same cause.

The most recent fire broke out at a beauty salon in Swindon College, Wilts, in April after essential oils were not washed out of a pile of used towels properly and subsequently burst into flames.

The beauty therapy room was badly damaged by the fire and left an insurance bills totalling tens of thousands of pounds.

There has recently been a sharp increase in the sales of scented oils, which are often sprinkled on towels and face flannels and applied to pillows and bed sheets.

They are easily combustible and are increasingly used in aromatherapy and other complementary treatments.

But officials from Wiltshire Fire Service believe essential oils were the common thread with all of the fires. ...
    Not very relaxing

I don't use those essential oils at home, but they do have a point about the cool temp wash cycles. I always use that. They keep talking about conserving electricity here. The cool water saves on the hot water heater running (we have an all electric house) but not much of a savings if you have dirty towels and possibly a charbroiled house.

"The problem seems to arise when the wash cycle has been at a cool temperature. It is now common to have washes sometimes as low as 15 degrees Celsius.

"When the wash has been at 40 degrees or above, the oil residue is more likely to be safely broken down by the washing detergents."

He warned that low-temperature washes do not fully clean towels of oils, meaning that residues can catch light in tumble dryers, linen baskets and airing cupboards.
    He added: "It is hard to believe that fire can just break out in a pile of fabric, but we have seen a great deal of damage caused by this type of blaze."
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I don't use those essential oils at home, but they do have a point about the cool temp wash cycles. I always use that. They keep talking about conserving electricity here. The cool water saves on the hot water heater running (we have an all electric house) but not much of a savings if you have dirty towels and possibly a charbroiled house.
    I don't use an oil burner either. I used tea tree oil once but found it very harsh. The story also makes me wonder just how clean towels at salons are. :(