Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 58
  1. #31  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,072
    Another work out session tonight. Did a round of calisthenics. Planks, crunches, push-ups, flutter kicks, and jumping jacks. Then went out to run.

    Did a mile and a half, since that's our PT test requirement. Wanted to see how well I pushed myself. I started about 30 seconds after the first runner. Finished 1 minute before the next guy in. Was feeling so good after that I ran out a quarter mile to the next runner, and sprinted in with her.

    Only been a couple of weeks, but it's already like a whole new me.

    I have been noticing some real issues with my shin splints though. They've progressively been growing more painful. I'm hoping they don't get to the point I've gotta get to the doctor...
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #32  
    Moderator txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    7,649
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I have been noticing some real issues with my shin splints though. They've progressively been growing more painful. I'm hoping they don't get to the point I've gotta get to the doctor...
    Shoe selection and stretching can help.

    I have the same problems with my shins and getting the cushioned shoes helps a LOT. Asics Gel are my preferred weapon of choice.

    And if your current running shoes are over 6 months old...ditch them.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #33  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,072
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Shoe selection and stretching can help.

    I have the same problems with my shins and getting the cushioned shoes helps a LOT. Asics Gel are my preferred weapon of choice.

    And if your current running shoes are over 6 months old...ditch them.
    I have collapsed arches. My current shoes are getting old, but because of the inserts I have to wear, getting new ones are a tricky process. I've been looking for a pair just like my current ones, so we'll see. Otherwise I'll have to go through a 6 week process to get some new inserts.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #34  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    We'll see. My weight is holding, but i'm not concerned about that. 6'2" and 190lbs. Nothing wrong with that. It's the inches on the waist I need to burn off. That cost me 12 points on my test. Last time I got taped, I was down an inch. I'd like to burn 3 more off so I can get full points in that category. If I can do that, the test will be a shoe in.
    Rule #1 - Eat nothing which comes through the window of your car.

    Rule #2 - Do not eat in your car.

    Rule #3 - Do not eat anything handed to you by a woman.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #35  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Another work out session tonight. Did a round of calisthenics. Planks, crunches, push-ups, flutter kicks, and jumping jacks. Then went out to run.

    Did a mile and a half, since that's our PT test requirement. Wanted to see how well I pushed myself. I started about 30 seconds after the first runner. Finished 1 minute before the next guy in. Was feeling so good after that I ran out a quarter mile to the next runner, and sprinted in with her.

    Only been a couple of weeks, but it's already like a whole new me.

    I have been noticing some real issues with my shin splints though. They've progressively been growing more painful. I'm hoping they don't get to the point I've gotta get to the doctor...
    I'm really surprised at all the running. I realize that one doesn't normally go chasing the enemy through the jungle on a bicycle, but in terms of exercise benefit versus harm done to the body, a bicycle ride is vastly preferable to walking or running.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #36  
    The big Cheese
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,273
    if you did strength training on your legs you wouldnt get shin splints.

    I used to get them all the time. I now squat heavy and do standing calf raises with 500 lbs on my back.

    Have not had a shin splint in over a year.....
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

    Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #37  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I have collapsed arches. My current shoes are getting old, but because of the inserts I have to wear, getting new ones are a tricky process. I've been looking for a pair just like my current ones, so we'll see. Otherwise I'll have to go through a 6 week process to get some new inserts.
    find someone to do some Isometric and Isotonic stretching with your feet, it helps a lot with shin splints
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #38  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,072
    Well, this just took a major step back. Despite getting new shoes, shin splints have continually worsened. It got to the point tonight where I know I've truly hurt myself now.

    I'll be making an appointment with the Doctor in the morning...
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #39  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,892
    Asynchayer syndrome.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #40  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sonora, Texas
    Posts
    4,117
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Well, this just took a major step back. Despite getting new shoes, shin splints have continually worsened. It got to the point tonight where I know I've truly hurt myself now.

    I'll be making an appointment with the Doctor in the morning...
    I was going to recommend a program I did in prison that burned off an amazing amount of fat in three weeks. But it involved a lot of sprints which are probably now a no go.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •