Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Well... no running, period, for two months. Extended walking is a no-no as well.

I am allowed to do cross training, things like the stair climber, elliptical, and bike, as long as I'm not feeling any pain.

So yeah, HUGE road block there.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Well... no running, period, for two months. Extended walking is a no-no as well.

I am allowed to do cross training, things like the stair climber, elliptical, and bike, as long as I'm not feeling any pain.

So yeah, HUGE road block there.
    Can you do the strength training? Maybe combine that with a visit to the nutritionist and you'll be OK. Is there any way that you can put off that physical?
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

No the test will still take place. I just won't be tested on components I cannot do.

So I will still have to do push-ups, sit-ups, and a waist measurement.

So the goal for the next few weeks is to concentrate on building those muscles up, and occasionally doing some good hard cross-training to help keep my endurance up.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

35 minutes on the Elliptical machine. Increased the resistance all the way up to 27 minutes, and from 12 minutes through 25 we would do 2 minutes at pace, and then 1 at 3mph faster. Ended up burning about 450 calories on that and did 4.2 miles.

Following that we did sets up push ups where I eventually did 65 all together. Push ups are still my weak spot, and I gotta start working harder on them.

Good news was I was feeling no pain at all while doing that. So while the Elliptical won't help me improve much, i'll be able to maintain my cardio level until I can start running again.

35 minutes on the Elliptical machine. Increased the resistance all the way up to 27 minutes, and from 12 minutes through 25 we would do 2 minutes at pace, and then 1 at 3mph faster. Ended up burning about 450 calories on that and did 4.2 miles.

Following that we did sets up push ups where I eventually did 65 all together. Push ups are still my weak spot, and I gotta start working harder on them.

Good news was I was feeling no pain at all while doing that. So while the Elliptical won't help me improve much, i'll be able to maintain my cardio level until I can start running again.
    You sound like you're doing great.

For pushup improvment I always did timed pyramids. Do as many pushups for one minute as hard as you can . rest 2 minutes..... Do 30 seconds. then 15...etc.

Don't cheat yourself on form. Make sure they are form perfect....that way you get the full workout and don't get burned by the grader on the test.
    Good luck.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

45 minute stair climber work out today. 192 floors, or 7.5 miles. Burned nearly 600 calories on that.

First time in a long time I had to break through the "wall". I thought I was going to keel over and die at the 25 minute mark. Somehow kept on pushing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    you should try good mornings with a barbell and light plates. Google good mornings and rounded back good mornings. I would also suggest rows but thats just to work the whole back.

Also look info dead lifts. Do em light but proper form works the whole back and really does wonders for the lower back.
    A good morning is when she wakes me up early so we have time before work. :p

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Shoe selection and stretching can help.

I have the same problems with my shins and getting the cushioned shoes helps a LOT. Asics Gel are my preferred weapon of choice.

And if your current running shoes are over 6 months old...ditch them.
    Shoes do make a huge difference. I have very flat feet and have to be careful when I buy shoes or the plantar fasciitis flares up...even with good shoes this happens every few years. I've tried orthotics from a Podiatrist which ended up causing other issues with my feet.

For the past couple weeks I have been dealing with one of these flare up periods. The first few steps in the middle of the night, or after working and getting out of the car...hurt like heck...

I've lost a lot of weight in the past year, and have kept it off and lost some more....but it's hard to exercise after work or on your days off when it hurts to walk...hopefully this will quickly pass.

Well, this just took a major step back. Despite getting new shoes, shin splints have continually worsened. It got to the point tonight where I know I've truly hurt myself now.

I'll be making an appointment with the Doctor in the morning...
    Sorry to hear this. I know what the pain is like. It simply sucks. :mad:

A bit of a differant work out, but a good one today. I arrived about 15 minutes before the group, so did some push ups and sit ups before hand. Did 20 of each, then 15 then 10. When the group arrived we started with a 5 minute warm up, where of the group ran, and I hit the elliptical. Afterwards we did 18 sets of strength building exercises. Various push-ups, sit ups, flutter kicks, dive bombers, leg raises, etc... 30 seconds of the exercise, 30 seconds of rest. It went fast, but it was definitely tiring. Afterwards it was another 10 minute run(elliptical) to cool down.

I imagine i'll have some sore muscles tomorrow, but all these push ups I've been doing, I have been noticing muscles building up. It's kinda satisfying.