Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 China's first aircraft carrier starts sea trial: Xinhua 
    China's first aircraft carrier on Wednesday left its shipyard in the country's northeast to start its first sea trial, the state news agency Xinhua said.
    The revamped old Soviet ship's sea trial was in line with the schedule of its refitting project and would not take long, the news agency said, quoting military sources.

After returning from the trial, the carrier will continue its refit and test work, the report said, adding that the vessel had set sail from its shipyard in the city of Dalian.

Beijing last month sought to downplay the capability of its first aircraft carrier, saying the vessel would be used for training and "research", amid concerns over the country's military build-up.

The project has added to regional worries over the country's fast military expansion and growing assertiveness on territorial issues.
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Not at all a major threat yet, but something we need to watch. A few carriers of this scale will not make them an international naval power like us, but it will make them huge in that region, in an area they've been relatively weak in.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    A shame if it was to spring a leak or 12...wouldn't it????
    :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Not at all a major threat yet, but something we need to watch. A few carriers of this scale will not make them an international naval power like us, but it will make them huge in that region, in an area they've been relatively weak in.
    Well if the mainland Chinese don't build airplanes any better than they build motor scooters, it will only last two or three years.

But seriously, it's about time China starts shouldering some of the world policing.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Well if the mainland Chinese don't build airplanes any better than they build motor scooters, it will only last two or three years.

But seriously, it's about time China starts shouldering some of the world policing.
    If China would "police" in our favor, then sure. But I'll be damned before I want them "policing" for themselves.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Don't be Naive,China's first police action will be to grab as much wealth as possible. They'll start local, then regional, then ,,,,,,,.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Don't be Naive,China's first police action will be to grab as much wealth as possible. They'll start local, then regional, then ,,,,,,,.
    They'd start with Taiwan in half a heart beat
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    What part of China's history supports your accusation?

What part of China's history supports your accusation?

Just wikipedia it. Taiwan (Chinese Taipei to the Chinese) is considered by the Chinese as rightfully being a part of China, and currently a state in rebellion.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    They'd start with Taiwan in half a heart beat
    What purpose would that serve? There was a good reason for China to retake Tibet. What is the reason to take Taiwan?

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    :eek::eek:
    What purpose would that serve? There was a good reason for China to retake Tibet. What is the reason to take Taiwan?

seriously? dude, the ONLY thing keeping the Chinese from taking Taiwan now is the US fleet that protects it. Just to keep the Chinese placated we don't recognize them as a sovereign country. (I think only Israel and one other do).
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry