Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 NATO Airstrike Kills Taliban Insurgents Behind Afghan Chopper Crash 
    The Taliban insurgents responsible for shooting down a U.S. helicopter in Afghanistan -- killing 30 Americans -- have been killed in an airstrike, U.S. Gen. John Allen said Wednesday.

"The strike killed Taliban leader Mullah Mohibullah and the insurgent who fired the shot associated with the Aug. 6 downing of the CH-47 helicopter, which resulted in the deaths of 38 Afghan and coalition service members," NATO-ISAF said in a statement.

"Mullah Mohibullah was a key facilitator in an insurgent attack cell led by Din Mohammad, a Taliban leader killed in a previous Special Operations mission," the statement read. "As a leader in Mohammad's network in Tangi valley, Mohibullah had as many as 12 Taliban fighters under his command, including potential suicide bombers."

"After an exhaustive manhunt, Special Operations forces located Mullah Mohibullah and the shooter after receiving multiple intelligence leads and tips from local citizens. The two men were attempting to flee the country in order to avoid capture."

NATO then called for an airstrike after ensuring no civilians were in the area, which resulted in the deaths of Mohibullah, the shooter, and several Taliban associates, according to the statement.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/08...-in-airstrike/
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Hope the facts are good....
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Banned
    It is time to get out of those 2 shit hole countries. We are fighting a war we can not win. Eradicate their poppy cash crop and bring our boys home.

Am thrilled with this news.

And yes, I think the facts are correct. Fox News is seldom wrong.

Going with that, will post this ...

~ ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    It is time to get out of those 2 shit hole countries. We are fighting a war we can not win. Eradicate their poppy cash crop and bring our boys home.
    At which point, they will replant the poppies and have a crop next year. Two years after that, they will have reconstituted the Taliban and Afghanistan will once again host terrorists who will target Americans.

We can win the war, we just can't win it the way that we are fighting it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    At which point, they will replant the poppies and have a crop next year. Two years after that, they will have reconstituted the Taliban and Afghanistan will once again host terrorists who will target Americans.

Only way we can win it is to slaughter everyone there but I dont see any American President doing that. You'd think we'd learn from the British and the Russians that Afghanistan is a no win scenario.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

If a herbicide mixture of agent orange and DDT does not do the trick, a couple of nukes would.

I do not see how we can win the war when the Taliban and terrorists mingle with the general population. They do not wear uniforms and they go back and forth into Afghanistan. The guy you say hello today may set a roadside bomb tomorrow. Also, I am not convinced that the terrorists did not have inside information with the downing of the helicopter that killed 31 Seals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Only way we can win it is to slaughter everyone there but I dont see any American President doing that. You'd think we'd learn from the British and the Russians that Afghanistan is a no win scenario.
    Meh, I dunno.

The Brits lost. The Russians lost.
    Doesn't mean we have to. And besides, our motive is far different from theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    If a herbicide mixture of agent orange and DDT does not do the trick, a couple of nukes would.

I do not see how we can win the war when the Taliban and terrorists mingle with the general population. They do not wear uniforms and they go back and forth into Afghanistan. The guy you say hello today may set a roadside bomb tomorrow. Also, I am not convinced that the terrorists did not have inside information with the downing of the helicopter that killed 31 Seals.
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    Meh, I dunno.

The Brits lost. The Russians lost.
    Doesn't mean we have to. And besides, our motive is far different from theirs.
    The Brits lost the First Afghan War, won the Second Afghan War, and fought to a draw in the Third Afghan War, but it must be remembered that they and the Soviets had much different goals than we do. Britain was primarily concerned with keeping the Russians from threatening India through Afghanistan, and attempted to occupy the country, which led to the first war. They were eventually driven out, but continued to conduct punitive raids and the like in order to prevent the Afghans from attacking India. Russian never made much headway there during the Great Game. The Second Afghan War was basically a very large punitive raid that resulted in Afghanistan agreeing to subordinate its foreign policy to Britain in return for internal autonomy. The Russians were driven out. The Third Afghan War was the result of an invasion of India by the Afghans in 1919, based on the assumption that the depleted British forces in India would not be able to repulse the invasion. The Afghans were wrong, and eventually, the British and Indian forces drove them back, but with heavy losses, which is why I call it a draw. The Soviets wanted to incorporate Afghanistan into the USSR, and were driven out.

The lesson of Afghanistan are that nothing good comes from staying there, but many bad things can fester if left alone. Our policy should be that we will punish any aggressive actions that come out of Afghanistan, and do so in such a way that future generations of Afghans learn not to mess with us.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

The lesson of Afghanistan are that nothing good comes from staying there, but many bad things can fester if left alone. Our policy should be that we will punish any aggressive actions that come out of Afghanistan, and do so in such a way that future generations of Afghans learn not to mess with us.
    I'm not a huge fan of that concept, but I prefer it to the total war scenario that I see a lot of people push.

The Soviets took total war into Afghanistan. All it did was mold an entire generation of people ready to live in caves and fight guerilla wars, which we are now having to deal with.

Nation building, that's the only way we're ever going to fix that place. Compassion in one hand, with a big ass stick in the other. If history has ever taught us anything though, it's not done over night. It can take decades to do.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.