Thread: Can you believe they locked this one??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Can you believe they locked this one?? 
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...esg_id=6979032
    Nikki Stone1 Donating Member
    Sun Sep-07-08 08:17 PM
    Original message

********Why I am NOT a PUMA*********

Edited on Sun Sep-07-08 08:31 PM by Nikki Stone1

Before I begin, I would like to greatly thank FrenchieCat for trying to keep this forum positive.

Why I am NOT a PUMA

PUMA is an acronym employed by a subgroup of Democrats who backed Hillary Clinton in the primaries and are now not backing Barack Obama. The acronym, "Party Unity, My Ass" is a negative response to appeals for unity after Barack Obama clinched the party's nomination. From my own research, many PUMAs actually are Democrats and they are voting "strategically": they may vote McCain/Palin (R), Cynthia McKinney/Rosa Clemente (Green), or other third party; they may write in Hillary Clinton's name in states that allow write-ins. They may also leave the top slots blank and vote for Democrats lower in the ticket. (And, oddly, some PUMAs are voting for Obama/Biden, even though they are angry at how the primaries played out.)

I do not know much about the founders of the PUMA. At least one of them, Darragh Murphy, has been accused of giving money to John McCain's campaign back in 2000. I have since read that she gave him money to counter Dubya's campaign, and that may be true. She wouldn't be the first person trying to hedge her bets in a Presidential election. A pro-choice cousin of mine sent money to Barack Obama and Guiliani this year. (Don't ask, long story.) I do not doubt that there is some GOP involvement with PUMA, but I also do not believe that it is all Republican operatives. The truth is more complicated than that.

....(snip)

WHY I AM NOT A PUMA

So considering my age and my discomfort with the race-baiting on DU, why am I not a PUMA? I could easily have said "to hell with Democratic Party" when watched the c-word in post titles here; when I watched Keith Olbermann slam Hillary Clinton in ways that made no sense to me. I could have taken it very personally when Obama's campaign said that they weren't worried about getting the women's vote because pro-choice women had nowhere else to go. I could have said gotten upset when I watched reproductive rights in the Democratic platform softened with language to appease anti-choice types, and when the gay community had to FIGHT to get included in the second draft of the platform. I could have taken it personally that the Clintons, whom I so admired, were being dragged through the mud as racists. Racists? When there's a whole GOP out there???

And I could have gotten personally insulted by the posters here who accused women of "voting with their vaginas" and one poster who actually put up a thread with a picture of a modified voting booth in it. I could have been personally insulted at all the cruelty directed towards Sarah Palin AS A WOMAN. The sexist questions: "Who's gonna take care of her kids?" "Do her breasts look large enough to be lactating" and "Her water broke on the plane" (which is not true--she was leaking fluid which is different.) I thought to myself, as a feminist, abortion rights are all about the government staying out of a woman's body and here is DU verbally invading this woman's biology and that of her daughter. I can read more about Sarah Palin's uterus on DU than I EVER, EVER wanted to know.

So why haven't I up and left? Why haven't I joined Geraldine Ferraro? Why haven't I changed my party to Green or decided to vote for the gun-toting hockey mom of song and story?

IT'S THE PLATFORM, STUPID

When I read the Democratic platform as it now stands, it is much closer in line with my ideals and what I want for my country, my nation, my students, my family, than anything the GOP has come up with. To me, the Democratic Platform is the best hope for the vanishing middle class, the struggling working class, the increasing numbers of poor. It is the best hope for equal rights for all people and all families. It's not perfect; gay rights needs to be better represented and foreign policy in the Middle East needs to be better thought out. But the Democratic Platform is the only one that helps the people who need it and can make society better for ALL, not just a small wealthy minority.

That's why I am voting Democratic this year.

(snip)

Thank you,

Nikki Stone
    Such a party line post. And they LOCKED IT!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

Stupid DUMMIES

If you ever wonder why I am a PUMA.....:D

PUMA's do not exist....They're all Obama supporters...
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...esg_id=6979032

Such a party line post. And they LOCKED IT!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

Stupid DUMMIES

If you ever wonder why I am a PUMA.....:D
    Did you notice that she is a teacher ?

Nothing the DUmp monkeys do surprises me anymore.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Did you notice that she is a teacher ?
    Yeah. It sounded like she taught poor kids.

Well, I'm sure this one will get locked also:

Nikki Stone1 (1000+ posts) Sun Sep-07-08 11:09 PM
    Original message
    We need to understand our fellow Democrats and not vilify them.
    Advertisements [?]That was the purpose of my previous post on why I was not a PUMA.

I am sorry if anyone was offended, but quite frankly, it offends me that we cannot try to understand those who were stauch allies and bring them back on board. This is a year we should NOT be losing, and yet we're in this tight race. We need our Democrats back on board, and we will not get them by vilifying them.

Nikki
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=132x6981071

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyRet View Post
    Well, I'm sure this one will get locked also:

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=132x6981071
    She should just hang it up. It's like yelling in a vacuum. She should get back to grading her students' tests and let the DUmp swim in its own filth.

Waste of fucking time.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    let the DUmp swim in its own filth..
    Yep. If you sleep with dogs ... you get fleas.
    If you roll with pigs in the mud ... you get dirty.

Oh .. we couild go on and on with this!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldLady View Post
    Yep. If you sleep with dogs ... you get fleas.
    If you roll with pigs in the mud ... you get dirty.

Oh .. we couild go on and on with this!!
    I can see you're getting creative. :D

She's at it again. You gotta give her props for trying.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...esg_id=7139785

Nikki Stone1 Donating Member (1000+ posts)
    Sun Sep-21-08 11:54 PM
    Original message

*********An open letter to PUMAS who read this board********

NOTE TO THE MODS: This is a sincere and urgent post to all those who identify as PUMA and intend to vote for John McCain in November. I am of the personal belief that a McCain/Palin win would be devastating for this country and I am trying reach some of our fellow Democrats in hopes that we can all vote for the better choice in November. A thread like this is bound to attract certain types of "flaming" posts, but this is under NO circumstances intended as flamebait. I ask you to allow this thread to remain open, regardless of what junk others attach to it. This issue is crucially important. In return, I promise not to engage any flaming posts, but completely ignore them.

Thank you,

Nikki Stone

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________
    ************************************************** ********************************************
    An open letter to PUMAS who read this board
    ************************************************** ********************************************

I imagine that there are a lot of PUMAs who still lurk on this board. I don't know for sure, but I am guessing that there are and hoping that there are.

I also imagine that many of you saw the recent Huffington Post article on "how to talk to PUMAs".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lea-lane/eat-crow-hell-ye...

While I applaud Lea Lane for understanding that it is much more helpful to get PUMA votes back than to lose them (by accusing PUMAs of racism, "sore loser" syndrome, or the like), I believe that she is completely off the mark in her diagnosis of the problem and has, as an unfortunate consequence, recommended the wrong cure. The issue is NOT about irrational emotions and letting PUMAs "vent". The issue is not about some kind of hero worship of Hillary Clinton, so Hillary must be praised to the stars. And PUMAs do not have to be "handled" like mentally ill teenagers who have just tried to slit their wrists. Sadly, in implying that the political stand made by PUMAs is based entirely on personal emotion, Lane has fed into some of the worst recurring anti-female stereotypes. I hereby sentence Lane to 100 lashes with a wet noodle, as Ann Landers used to do. And Lea, I cook my pasta al dente, so there might be a slight sting. :)

In reality, the base of PUMAs' political stand comes from cold, hard facts which have led to perceptions of injustice, disenfranchisement, and corruption. I have mentioned some of your very real concerns on the thread below and see no need to rehash them:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.ph...

But my plea today is to try and get you to see why voting the Democratic ticket is actually better for the health and welfare of the country and better for all of the normal American people who don't have enough money to own a yacht or play in the high stakes poker game that is the derivatives market. This is despite the sins of the leadership.

It is a hard sell, I know, and perhaps I'm being overoptimistic here, but I am not trying to sell you a Ford Focus and call it a Mercedes. Sometimes, despite the evils of an organization, the larger principles stand out and are actually served by the organization, in spite of itself. That may sound contradictory, but it is my belief that it is easier to hold the feet of one's own to the fire than the feet of the opposition. I also believe that for every rotten leader in an organization, there are many decent people who are in (or can approach) positions of power. For example: for every molesting priest, there are 90 others working in drug infested neighborhoods, poverty stricken countries, and praying for hours in monasteries. For every greedy big TV preacher, there are others living on small salaries trying to help a failing steel town come to grips with life or building an orphanage for children in another country where their parents have been killed as a result of war. In other words, organizations contain both the most hellish of sinners and the most exalted of saints. To abandon the organization because of one power hungry Cardinal (are you listening Mahoney???) means, also, to abandon the priest in the heart of Washington DC who is moonlighting performing weddings so he can pay for a rehab program for his crack addicted neighbors. (Yeah, he's a real priest. I've met him. He hates the GOP.)

Because of this belief, I choose to stay with the Democratic party, support the good, and hold the feet of the power-abusers to the fire. I would ask you to join me, because, God knows, we need your help.

But we also need to insure that our principles find their way to the White House this year. I'd like to briefly talk to you about our principles (and about those of the GOP) and ask you to really think about which principles are more likely to help this country and which are more likely to lead it further down the destructive path on which it has been driven for almost eight years by the current administration.

Before I begin, I would like to BEG you, please, ignore any trollish or silly comments that get attached to this thread. You have to know, as well as I do, that there are some people on DU (as well as other message boards) who just have to make snarky, irrelevant, or obscene comments, usually in between mouthfuls of Red Bull and Cheetos. You also have to know that there are some partisans that are so extremely partisan, that even my reaching out to you bothers them immensely. They prefer to think of you as racists or menopausal women having hot flashes (even the males!) because it keeps their world view simple and uncomplicated.

So, please, if you can, just focus on what I am trying to say here and not on what some of the more enthusiastically bizarre posters (especially those with low post counts) might have to say. Thank you.

It's the platform

Below are links to the PDFs of both parties' platforms. I urge you to download these and at least skim over them. They are very revealing, even down to the order in which the contents are organized.

www.demconvention.com/the-democratic-platform
    www.gop.com/pdf/PlatformFINAL_WithCover.pdf

(then there is all this crap about the platform.... Elspeth)

Please read the platforms.

If, for any reason, you would like to talk to me, I am at nikki_stone1@yahoo.com .

Nikki
    I have half a mind to email her and ask her why she's such a glutton for punishment.

If the Dems had been like Nikki Stone1, all the Hillary supporters wouldn't have been banished and Obama would have all the Hillary votes. As it is now, Barry and the DUmmies are helping McCain to win. :)

No way, no how, noBama!