1. #1 US military to launch fastest-ever plane 
    Alok Jha, science correspondent
    guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 10 August 2011 19.53 BST

By the time you finish reading this sentence, the Falcon HTV-2, the fastest plane ever built, could have flown 18 miles. It would get from London to Sydney in less than an hour, while withstanding temperatures of almost 2,000C, hotter than the melting point of steel.

At 3pm BST on Thursday , the US Defence Advance Research Projects Agency will launch the Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle 2 on the back of a rocket from the Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. If all goes to plan, engineers will launch the Falcon HTV-2 to the edge of space, before detaching the plane and guiding it on a hypersonic flight that will reach speeds of 13,000mph (about 20 times the speed of sound) on its return to Earth.
    Read More>http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...t-plane-falcon
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

I love our latest string of commercials, showing how we are doing sci-fi shit, today. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izYAn7XDFys
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I wonder if they use Graphene in it :D
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Speaking of sci-fi stuff, I saw something that I really, really wish I had in Iraq. I think I saw it in a "Battlefield" type video game commercial. Basically it was an M203 40mm round that contained a descent chute like for flares or star clusters, but the round actually contained a camera. The images were relayed to a small screen a little bigger than a smartphone.

So in an area surrounded by buildings, you shoot the round up, and get a nice combat picture of enemy movement around, on top of, and behind buildings that would have otherwise been outside your line of sight.

That would have been pretty bad ass.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense