Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Are Democrats too intelligent to be elected president? 
    link

marmar (1000+ posts) Sun Sep-07-08 09:04 PM
    Original message
    Are Democrats too intelligent to be elected president?
    Advertisements [?]Edited on Sun Sep-07-08 09:06 PM by marmar
    We've had two candidates - Al Gore and John Kerry - who were CLEARLY more intelligent than their Republican opponent, and they lost (yeah, they probably didn't really lose, but the races shouldn't have even been close.)
    And here again we have a close race with a Constitutional law scholar/thinker who clearly leaves his competitor in the intellectual dust, and he has to APOLOGIZE for suggesting that American students should broaden their horizons by learning a foreign language.
    Is this country by and large too intellectually lazy and soundbite-oriented to understand nuance and look at the complexity of issues? It just seems like a bravado-filled slogan, no matter how false or empty it is, trumps reason every time.

I blame the idiot box known as TV.
    dkf (1000+ posts) Sun Sep-07-08 09:08 PM
    Response to Original message
    2. The problem is that they and many here think people vote based on reason.
    And a lot of times they don't.

We have got to make it work at every level, emphasizing reason, but also hitting on emotion.

In addition, we have to create positive feelings about us and negative feelings about them.

If we don't at least TRY to win at all these levels, we aren't using everything at our disposal.
    As if it's Republicans that are voting based on emotion.
    ileus (1000+ posts) Sun Sep-07-08 09:13 PM
    5. These are the same people that won't ride bikes to work, what do you expect.
    babylonsister (1000+ posts) Sun Sep-07-08 09:17 PM
    7. I think many Americans are too stoopid; I'm not blaming this on
    intelligent Dems.
    28erl (1000+ posts) Sun Sep-07-08 09:20 PM
    8. no we just have too many dumb redneck white sheet people voting n/t
    treestar (1000+ posts) Sun Sep-07-08 09:21 PM
    9. It's enough to make you lose faith in democracy
    Some people shouldn't be allowed to vote. Trouble is, how do you decide? But this country is going down due to its idiocy.
    Yep, only people who believe as I do should be allowed to vote.

What arrogance to think that anyone who doesn't believe as you do is "ignorant" or "dumb".
    villager (1000+ posts) Sun Sep-07-08 09:26 PM
    12. Yes. I'm hoping some of the smaller republics/countries that rise out of the ashes of the old U.S.
    can actually honor competence, public service, the greater good, etc.

The Pacific Northwest might be a good bet -- or perhaps there will be a "coastal community" in the west.

In any case, it's hard to imagine the U.S. as anything but inexorably doomed.
    bowens43 (1000+ posts) Sun Sep-07-08 09:40 PM
    15. I have come to realize that
    Democrats expect their leaders to be exceptional; to be intelligent, to be passionate , to be both inspired and inspiring. Republicans on the other hand just want someone with whom they can sit around, drink beer and tell fart jokes.

Banned
    These DUmbasses always think that if the USA suffered an apocolyptic event, the hippie types would then form their little communes, sing Kumbaya and everyone would exchange lolipops and puppies and everyone would eat sprouts and bark. Yay! When in reality, gun owning redneck types would take over and believe me, the DUmmies would not like it!

These are the same people that won't ride bikes to work, what do you expect.
    This cracked me up, cause the first thing I thought of was the massive traffic jams in LA. Can't you just picture all of those people being on bikes instead of in cars? :D

Banned
    ileus (1000+ posts) Sun Sep-07-08 09:13 PM
    5. These are the same people that won't ride bikes to work, what do you expect.
    I ride a bike to work!

Are Democrats too intelligent to be elected president?
    Translation: "The writing's on the wall. Our clown ticket is doomed. It's time to start inventing all kinds of excuses so that we don't look so dumb for nominating them."

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyRet View Post
    This cracked me up, cause the first thing I thought of was the massive traffic jams in LA. Can't you just picture all of those people being on bikes instead of in cars? :D
    Yeah, and in a similar vein it'd be a real trip to ride a bike the 9 miles to my office up and down hills in the middle of a winter snowstorm! And let's not forget what would happen once a child arrives - even if I were willing to risk my own neck biking to work, I wouldn't be dropping off a 6 month old at daycare from the back of a 10 speed Trek mountain bike. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Katiebug View Post
    let's not forget what would happen once a child arrives - even if I were willing to risk my own neck biking to work, I wouldn't be dropping off a 6 month old at daycare from the back of a 10 speed Trek mountain bike. :D
    You wouldn't have had to concern yourself with that if you just aborted the thing.

Can't you see how Democrats have answers to ALL your problems?

treestar (1000+ posts) Sun Sep-07-08 09:21 PM
    9. It's enough to make you lose faith in democracy
    Some people shouldn't be allowed to vote. Trouble is, how do you decide? But this country is going down due to its idiocy.
    How about using this as a criteria. If you don't pay taxes and are below the retirement age or have never served in the military then you can't votes. Paying taxes, military service and retirement are the price for admission to the voting booth.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Threads like this one are why I encourage people to read the DUmp and come
    here to get the best/worst parts. :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Boy, the DUmmies really aren't doing much to dispell the "Myth" of liberals being arrogant, stuck- up elitists.
    The irony is, what they are doing doesn't demonstrate much intelligence either, they're basically just parroting Michael Moore's old "Nation of idiots" rant.