Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Israel Prepares for Possible Battle with Syria After UN Vote 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Officers preparing for possible Syrian attempts to storm border with Golan, also being trained on riot control for expected West Bank disturbances.

The Israel Defense Forces is readying for possible engagement with the Syrian military in September, should the latter involve itself in new attempts by Palestinians in Syria to storm the border with the Golan Heights in connection with a UN vote on recognizing a Palestinian state.

The IDF acknowledges it may be necessary to deal with Syrian military intervention in such a scenario, which could occur if Syria tried to deflect world attention from the ongoing demonstrations in that country - and their bloody suppression - by creating an incident on the border.

If such a mass infiltration results in the IDF having to shoot at the protesters, the Syrian army may send units to "defend Syrian citizens."..Thus, for the first time since the Yom Kippur War, there could be a military confrontation, with the IDF being compelled to send forces to confront Syrian battalions......Until now, the IDF assessment had been that Syrian President Bashar Assad was interested in maintaining quiet along the border.

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition...-vote-1.378070

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    If such a mass infiltration results in the IDF having to shoot at the protesters, the Syrian army may send units to "defend Syrian citizens."..
    That's only because shooting Syrian citizens is the Syrian Army's job and they don't need the competition.

This is an obvious case of Assad trying to distract his people by staging and incident with Israel. They're hoping that the Syrians who are currently being slaughtered by Assad's security forces will overcome their loathing of his regime and replace it with loathing of Israel.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Interesting article.

If the UN recognizes the Palestinian State as a sovereign, Isreal will need to deal with the West Bank civilians delicately. Moving into another nation with tanks to crush any independent minded people wishing to exert their right to self government is a dicey proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Interesting article.

If the UN recognizes the Palestinian State as a sovereign, Isreal will need to deal with the West Bank civilians delicately. Moving into another nation with tanks to crush any independent minded people wishing to exert their right to self government is a dicey proposition.
    It's unlikely that this will happen. The other Arab states do not want a Palestinian state and have signalled their displeasure with a funding reduction. Abbas is only pushing this for its propaganda value, as he has no intention of actually governing anything.

OTOH, if any agency is stupid, corrupt and venal enough to grant statehood to a people run by Hamas, it's the UN.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    It's unlikely that this will happen. The other Arab states do not want a Palestinian state and have signalled their displeasure with a funding reduction. Abbas is only pushing this for its propaganda value, as he has no intention of actually governing anything.

OTOH, if any agency is stupid, corrupt and venal enough to grant statehood to a people run by Hamas, it's the UN.
    I think Israel can use the protection of the large number of its citizens who have settled in the territory of the newly formed nation as a casus belli. It would depend largely on how those individuals are treated once the new country was recognized.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

they do it, Israel could just say fine, you guys want it that way, we'll recognize them, but the first time they attack Israel or Israeli citizens, we will declare war and crush them, just as we have every other Arab country that has attacked us.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Always wise to be prepared, especially for Arab treachery. Indeed, it's really best to just EXPECT Arab treachery, and then be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't come to pass. But, in this case, it would seem Syria will still likely have its hands full and not be looking to do anything that pulls its army away from widely-dispersed internal security and occasional massacre duties.

I think Israel can use the protection of the large number of its citizens who have settled in the territory of the newly formed nation as a casus belli. It would depend largely on how those individuals are treated once the new country was recognized.
    Israel doesn't really need a causus belli. If thousands of rockets fired into Israel from Gaza and decades of terrorism don't count, what does? Besides, the PA has made it clear that no Jews will be permitted to remain in "Palestine". The Israelis evacuated all Jews from Gaza in 2005, so it's already Judenrein, as the Germans used to say when they were expelling Jews, but I'm sure that the PA has a final solution in mind for the remaining 303,900 Jews on the west bank.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    they do it, Israel could just say fine, you guys want it that way, we'll recognize them, but the first time they attack Israel or Israeli citizens, we will declare war and crush them, just as we have every other Arab country that has attacked us.
    The Palestinians have no intention of governing a state. Their goal is to gain control of the post-1967 territories and then use their statehood as a platform for further attacks on Israel through various legal institutions. Palestinian statehood, in Abbas' own words, "would pave the way for the internationalisation of the conflict as a legal matter, not only a political one. It would also pave the way for us to pursue claims against Israel at the United Nations, human rights treaty bodies and the International Court of Justice." It's just an expansion of the conflict into lawfare.
    --Odysseus

Fabulous Poster
    Interesting article.

How can there be a "sovereign Palestinian state" when the sole purpose of the "palestinian" identity is to wage war against Israel and the stated plan of the "palestinians" is to become part of Jordan if they should succeed in securing part of Israel as "Palestine"?

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    How can there be a "sovereign Palestinian state" when the sole purpose of the "palestinian" identity is to wage war against Israel and the stated plan of the "palestinians" is to become part of Jordan if they should succeed in securing part of Israel as "Palestine"?
    weren't they Jordian's to begin with?
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry