1. #1 Has Anyone Made a Paella?? 
    I have the following ingredients in the fridge and feezer and wanted to try to make my own recipe:

Shrimp
    Calamari
    Peas
    Onions
    Green & Red Peppers
    Goya Sazon con Azafran (basically spanish spices with saffron)
    Chicken stock.
    tomato paste
    white wine

and of course, rice.

Can I make a paella with those ingredients? I'm going to try tomorrow. I wish I had mussels to add...it wouldlook like a paella.

I'm going to saute onions and peppers in olive oil, add 1-2 tbsp tomatoe paste, add wine..let it cook out.
    Add rice and saute for a couple of minutes
    Add chicken stock and peas...
    When rice is cooked add calamari and shelled shrimp on the top for 5-7 minutes till cooked.

How does that sound??

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I have the following ingredients in the fridge and feezer and wanted to try to make my own recipe:

Shrimp
    Calamari
    Peas
    Onions
    Green & Red Peppers
    Chicken stock.
    tomato paste
    white wine

and of course, rice.

Can I make a paella with those ingredients? I'm going to try tomorrow. I wish I had mussels to add...it wouldlook like a paella.

I'm going to saute onions and peppers in olive oil, add 1-2 tbsp tomatoe paste, add wine..let it cook out.
    When rice is cooked add calamari and shelled shrimp on the top for 5-7 minutes till cooked.

How does that sound??
    Sounds good, let us know how it turned out. You stock some pretty good food in that frig. Too bad you live on the other Florida coast. :D
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

An Adversary of Linda #'s

Shrimp
    Calamari
    Peas
    Onions
    Green & Red Peppers
    Chicken stock.
    tomato paste
    white wine

and of course, rice.

How does that sound??

Fisherman’s Paella (Paella a la Marinera)

....The fishermen in Spain and French Marseille would make this to feed their crews and 'use up' the small junk fish, squid,crabs and shell fish in their nets that they couldn't sell......

25 threads saffron, crushed (a heaping 1⁄4 tsp.)
    or Goya Sazon con Azafran
    1 lb. boneless monkfish filets,cut into 2" pieces
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper,
    to taste
    1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    8 langoustines or extra-large head-on shrimp
    in the shell
    10 oz. cuttlefish or small squid, cleaned
    and cut into 1" pieces
    1 tbsp. smoked paprika
    4 medium tomatoes, minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 green bell pepper, cored and chopped
    1 small onion, minced
    7 cups bottled fish broth
    2 1⁄2 cups short-grain rice,
    preferably Valencia or bomba
    1⁄2 lb. small clams, cleaned
    1⁄2 lb mussels,cleaned

1. Put saffron and 1⁄4 cup hot water in a small bowl; let sit for 15 minutes. Season monkfish with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a 16"–18" paella pan over medium-high heat. Add monkfish and langoustines and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes; transfer monkfish and langoustines to a plate and set aside. Add cuttlefish, paprika, tomatoes, garlic, peppers, and onions to pan and cook, stirring often, until onions are soft, about 6 minutes. Add reserved saffron mixture and broth, season with salt, and bring to a boil over high heat.

2. Sprinkle in rice, distribute evenly with a spoon, and cook, without stirring, until rice has absorbed most of the liquid, 10–12 minutes. (If your pan is larger than the burner, rotate it every two minutes so different parts are over the heat and the rice cooks evenly.) Reduce heat to low, add reserved fish and langoustines, and nestle in clams hinge side down; cook, without stirring, until clams have opened and rice has absorbed the liquid and is al dente, 5–10 minutes. Remove pan from heat, cover with aluminum foil, and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Sounds good, let us know how it turned out. You stock some pretty good food in that frig. Too bad you live on the other Florida coast. :D

Yeh, too bad we're not closer..I'd invite you and SR over to test it out......;)

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Fisherman’s Paella (Paella a la Marinera)

....The fishermen in Spain and French Marseille would make this to feed their crews and 'use up' the small junk fish, squid,crabs and shell fish in their nets that they couldn't sell......

25 threads saffron, crushed (a heaping 1⁄4 tsp.)
    or Goya Sazon con Azafran
    1 lb. boneless monkfish filets,cut into 2" pieces
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper,
    to taste
    1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    8 langoustines or extra-large head-on shrimp
    in the shell
    10 oz. cuttlefish or small squid, cleaned
    and cut into 1" pieces
    1 tbsp. smoked paprika
    4 medium tomatoes, minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 green bell pepper, cored and chopped
    1 small onion, minced
    7 cups bottled fish broth
    2 1⁄2 cups short-grain rice,
    preferably Valencia or bomba
    1⁄2 lb. small clams, cleaned
    1⁄2 lb mussels,cleaned

1. Put saffron and 1⁄4 cup hot water in a small bowl; let sit for 15 minutes. Season monkfish with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a 16"–18" paella pan over medium-high heat. Add monkfish and langoustines and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes; transfer monkfish and langoustines to a plate and set aside. Add cuttlefish, paprika, tomatoes, garlic, peppers, and onions to pan and cook, stirring often, until onions are soft, about 6 minutes. Add reserved saffron mixture and broth, season with salt, and bring to a boil over high heat.

2. Sprinkle in rice, distribute evenly with a spoon, and cook, without stirring, until rice has absorbed most of the liquid, 10–12 minutes. (If your pan is larger than the burner, rotate it every two minutes so different parts are over the heat and the rice cooks evenly.) Reduce heat to low, add reserved fish and langoustines, and nestle in clams hinge side down; cook, without stirring, until clams have opened and rice has absorbed the liquid and is al dente, 5–10 minutes. Remove pan from heat, cover with aluminum foil, and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.

Thanks Meggers....my recipe is a bit easier...Don't have a paella pan, so going to make in a cast iron one.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Thanks Meggers....my recipe is a bit easier...Don't have a paella pan, so going to make in a cast iron one.
    Keep it down,and watch out for hot spots ..It's easy to burn the fish and scald the clams....It should just be at a simmer to cook the rice . Then the the shrimp and squid...Lay the on the clams,mussels ,cook until they just open .Add the delicate fish last, to barely cook, just before you serve it....the saffron gives it it's bright yellow color........A few bottles of dry white wine and lots of crusty bread would be nice.....